INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Anyone know anything about pool liners? We patched 2 holes in ours this year. I went ahead and got an estimate to have the liner replaced in case the patch did not hold. I have to say I am stunned by what the pool place charges.

That is a great idea. They did seem a bit better today with more shade outside, they were laying outside rather than in the stuffy coop. I also bought some electrolytes/vitamins and put it in all of the waterers. Gregor is the same :( . I looked for Poly vi sol at Tractor Supply and they didn't have it so I will look at the drug store tomorrow. I was really irritated though, because while I was looking a worker came up to me. I told him what I was looking for and he asked why I needed it (none of your business dude) and I said I had a sick chicken. He asked what was wrong with it and I stupidly answered. He told me nothing would help my chicken and vitamins wouldn't do anything. I barely resisted the urge to ask where he got his degree in veterinary medicine. Seriously, I didn't ask for his opinion. I just coldly told him that in my opinion it was always worth trying to save an animal and I walked away. Ahhhhhhhhh. Also, I came home and was looking at my crooked beak silkie that I got as a pet from Brad and I am pretty sure I now see streamers. I may now have a crooked beaked roo that I can't have in the breeder pen with my Isbars like I had planned. What do you silkie experts think? And here is the white one, still hopeful that this is a pullet.
Looks like the crest of the blue still has a lot of pin feathers so I wouldn't necessarily deem him a roo just yet.

The dander is horrible off the birds. I had my early hatches in the house! The dust was just amazing! I have a porch that I keep new babies and weak birds in. The dust gets everywhere, and not good for allergies at all.
Now that I know what it is, they're in the garage and I am almost back to my old self. They turned 3 weeks old on Monday!

I have to say that Lowes order online pick up in store is working out great for us. There were a few bumps with our first few orders but now they seem to be going well. It keeps the impulse buys down, cuts out the larger checkout lines, and for the most part the stuff is already pulled and ready to load.

We had been using the online ordering for Sams for a while and it worked out nice enough that now we do the same for lowes. I only wish more stores had the option to order online and pick up that order right away.
I'm going to use them for the steel roof panels I'm putting on the coop! Just wish they had some other color besides white. I could order store pick up from Home Depot and get blue, but then I have to wait for 2 weeks to pick it up.

Ok so while I was outside earlier, I noticed some of my chickens had picked the scales off the webbing from between their toes!! After a Google search I found out that it's mites.... So how do I get rid of them and then also prevent them from coming back??? We're very new to this but I would like to be as natural as possible. We have a dirt floor with pine shavings and grass clippings mixed in. I have also been adding lemon balm leaves and some mint leaves once a week when I turn the bedding and add new. What else should I be doing/not doing?? Thanks in advance!

Anyone know anything about pool liners?  We patched 2 holes in ours this year.  I went ahead and got an estimate to have the liner replaced in case the patch did not hold.  I have to say I am stunned by what the pool place charges. 

They sure aren't cheap. I went I. A pool store in FT Wayne and holy cow they have some high prices

Greetings all, old-timers and newbs. I am caught up with the past 225 posts. Oh, the drama! Sorry for those with sick chickens. It's hard to feel so powerless. I hope you find solutions soon.

My bantams are doing great. I can't believe how cute they still are. I was ready for them to hit an awkward phase, but they remain cute. My lone BR has 3 rows of stripes on her wings and I can see her comb forming and her earlobes. She is gaining ground on the EEs. Still the smallest, but not as big of a difference. The EEs are great, the silkies are so sweet. The guineas are the size of turkeys. They seem huge next to the chicks.

I took the chicks out to the front yard yesterday to give them some playtime in the grass. I left the keets penned up and you can hear them from several feet away in the garage in the background of this video:

http://instagram.com/p/oeLz9zMPPS/

The keets are normally silent, quieter than the chicks, but they did the famous "Something is wrong" guinea alarm when I took all their friends away to play!

And look, I'm not even dying of allergies.

Ebony & Ivory, aka Amy & Farrah

We've made no progress on the coop lately. Being sick really kicked my butt. Maybe this weekend! I will be waterproofing the coop (aka new roof) and putting vinyl down inside. Adding latches where they're presently not enough. Then back to work on the run after all that. We might get it finished by the time these girls are laying!

If I ever get caught up with work I think I really will write a chicken sleuth mystery series. I can't stop thinking about it.

Farmer's Market starting up next weekend in Lanesville, IN. I might see @SuburbanMomof4 there. I might sell some books and herbal stuff there, too. And looking forward to farm fresh eggs and other goodies!!!!

OH, I was going to share with y'all the housewarming present I got for my friend...but she might see it since she joined BYC...she did end up buying the house around the corner from me. Yay for chicken friends nearby!

Have a great week!!!

I am so sorry! I wish I could be of some help. Can you get food or water into her with a dropper? I have had sick chickens recover well using small scrambled eggs and plain yogurt (it was probably greek, but it doesn't matter). Did she have any other symptoms before it got this bad? Was she going on one side or limping?
She wont take anything today. I cant even pry her beek open to give her drops of vitamins. I noticed this morning that she had eaten some of her food, maybe a Tblsp or so, I dont know if she drank any of the electrolyte water or not. She isnt any better at all. There was no paralysis or any warning that she was going to become ill. I thought maybe the heat was getting to her but that wouldnt explain the weakness. she cant even hold up her head ( I dont think her feather crown is THAT heavy). I gave her some water laced with baby aspirin and Spearmint leaves, In case she is having tummy issues. shes bn in her sick cage now for three days and there isnt any poo in there. I know that nots normal! Can you give chickens laxatives?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom