INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@daneblackburn: we butchered our Cornish X this past weekend, the smaller hens after being butchered, drained, gutted and skinned were 4.19 lbs. Half of my freezer is full of chicken and that is after we gave away 2 whole birds to my cousins for helping us. Just can't believe how big these guys get in such a short amount of time!

Went to Wal Mart and happened to notice their chicken meat, ours looks so much bigger. Breasts were close to 1 lb, drumsticks 1/3 lb, thighs 2/3 lbs!

Quote:
If they use the drawings, I'd like to get a shirt - even if I can't go :D Those are quite beautiful!

Did anyone else have chickens struggle in the heat yesterday. It was only low 80's, and some of them were panting pretty good. I put a fan on the babies today and added more shade outside. It makes me nervous for when it gets REALLY hot if they are already struggling now!
One thing I do in the heat is put out shallow pans with water in several places. I keep an eye out at resales for the 13x 9 or larger pyrex pans that I keep filled with water that they can stand in and drink from. Standing in the pans helps cool them off. I just go out with a hose and spray them out and refill from time to time during the day since if they're standing in them there will also be a poo from time to time.

Has worked well the last 2 summers and we're doing it again now.

Quote:

I also have a converted shed if you'd like photos. We did some dividers inside and nest boxes you could access from a "people part" of the shed.
Her shed has a fantastic layout.
Building from new materials is costly, even brand new shed kits are cheaper. Still there tend to be plenty of sheds on craigslist. They could save you some money.

If they use the drawings, I'd like to get a shirt - even if I can't go :D Those are quite beautiful!

One thing I do in the heat is put out shallow pans with water in several places. I keep an eye out at resales for the 13x 9 or larger pyrex pans that I keep filled with water that they can stand in and drink from. Standing in the pans helps cool them off. I just go out with a hose and spray them out and refill from time to time during the day since if they're standing in them there will also be a poo from time to time.

Has worked well the last 2 summers and we're doing it again now.

That is a great idea. They did seem a bit better today with more shade outside, they were laying outside rather than in the stuffy coop. I also bought some electrolytes/vitamins and put it in all of the waterers. Gregor is the same
sad.png
. I looked for Poly vi sol at Tractor Supply and they didn't have it so I will look at the drug store tomorrow. I was really irritated though, because while I was looking a worker came up to me. I told him what I was looking for and he asked why I needed it (none of your business dude) and I said I had a sick chicken. He asked what was wrong with it and I stupidly answered. He told me nothing would help my chicken and vitamins wouldn't do anything. I barely resisted the urge to ask where he got his degree in veterinary medicine. Seriously, I didn't ask for his opinion. I just coldly told him that in my opinion it was always worth trying to save an animal and I walked away. Ahhhhhhhhh. Also, I came home and was looking at my crooked beak silkie that I got as a pet from Brad and I am pretty sure I now see streamers. I may now have a crooked beaked roo that I can't have in the breeder pen with my Isbars like I had planned. What do you silkie experts think?

And here is the white one, still hopeful that this is a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom