INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I'm a second year chicken owner! We have 3 Leghorns that we raised from chicks last year, and now adding 6 Golden Laced Wyandottes, 6 Barred Rockes and a few more Leghorns. Keeping a Leghorn rooster (cockerel at this point) this year to hopefully start hatching some of our own. We are near Lafayette (Newtown, actually). My 4 year old and 2 year old daughters love helping and conversing with our chicks and gathering eggs. It is great to enjoy them as a family!

Welcome t th thread!!! This is my second year with my babies also. U would probably have given up by now if not for the helpful caring people on this thread. They are like family but beware they are all chicken enablers!!!! Lol
Hope you enjoy th thread and become a family member.

Ok y'all now "I" have an issue and can't figure it out. This is Phyllis on a good day!

Unfortunately this is her today:

No she's not dead but she is so weak she won't fight the position. When I put her in Her sick cage she just slumps down and drops her head forward. I've tried standing her up n she just crumbles into a crouched resting position. She won't open her eyes and isn't eating enough t keep a mole alive! I've tried polyvisol (w/o) and electrolytes (save a chick) , tried a baby aspirin dissolved in quart of water, I'm at th end of my rope... What can I do for her (I don't have and can't got antibiotics) there are NO avian vets in the area. I an seriously stumped!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

Ok y'all now "I" have an issue and can't figure it out. This is Phyllis on a good day!
No she's not dead but she is so weak she won't fight the position. When I put her in Her sick cage she just slumps down and drops her head forward. I've tried standing her up n she just crumbles into a crouched resting position. She won't open her eyes and isn't eating enough t keep a mole alive! I've tried polyvisol (w/o) and electrolytes (save a chick) , tried a baby aspirin dissolved in quart of water, I'm at th end of my rope... What can I do for her (I don't have and can't got antibiotics) there are NO avian vets in the area. I an seriously stumped!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

I'm trying liver with Gregor, it has been recommended on here quite a bit since it is so nutrient rich. I can't say for sure I've seen a difference but it's also only been 24 hours for me. It is cheap and worth a try ($2 for a pretty decent sized package in the frozen section).

I have also converted a shed, but mine was already in place. It might be a little out of your way to visit, but I'd be happy to take pics of anything you want to see, and offer what conversion help I can. The hardest part of mine was building the outdoor run, which you have to do in any case. Converting the shed was just a matter of adding ventilation and a pop door, and some kind of roost. Easy cheesy.

If it were me, I'd go ahead and plan out the scratch build, so that I had a good estimate of cost. Then I'd shop out used sheds, and see if I could get one for less. I haven't gone all the way through this process myself, but my instinct is that a used shed will be significantly less money than the materials to build one out - by half or more. LPT bought hers for 100 bucks, and I'm absolutely positive you can't build one for that. I've seen hers, and to scratch build it would be more like 300, or more.

We're your chickens vaccinated for mareks?

I am taking for granted they were because they were the ones I got from the Breeder/ hatchery when Brad and all of us spilt the order back in February. She's a White Crested Polish about 14-16 wks old. Supposed to be a large fowl... If she's LF she is a runt!

I am so sorry! I wish I could be of some help. Can you get food or water into her with a dropper? I have had sick chickens recover well using small scrambled eggs and plain yogurt (it was probably greek, but it doesn't matter). Did she have any other symptoms before it got this bad? Was she going on one side or limping?

Hi Minmin,

Have you checked out the book called Chicken Health for Dummies? M2H is always quoting it to us because it has a lot of information on different things that can go wrong with them. If you search this thread, you should be able to find screenshots from a lot of the chapters. You may find it at your local library, at a Barnes and Noble, or even at a Tractor Supply/Feed Store. I have a copy, but unfortunately, my 4 year old broke my printer/scanner awhile ago, so I can't take pics for you. If kindles or other e-readers are available to you, Amazon has a copy for $8.50.

Back
Top Bottom