INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I have a Welsummer Roo free if anyone is interested. He is a good bird. Little rough with the hens sometimes. We have bantams now and he is pretty mean to them. Otherwise good behavior. Salem, IN.

still dealing with the poison ivy over here. It has been just over a week. The children's is gone but mine is still bright red in many of the places.
The hot showers have helped the most but the relief only lasts for so long. I can't take 10 hot showers a day as I don't have enough backup childcare.
Any other suggestions? I have some peppermint oil on the way but it could be another week before it gets here.

Hey everyone! Haven't posted in awhile, but thought I would share some stuff. Also I do need advice on something.

We recently finished building our chickens a new coop and plan to build four more for breeding coops. So excited! I also decided to try out sand for bedding and so far I'm loving it.
Last week I got two different shipment of chicks, but a shipping mistake happened and a few died. It was a mix of BBS jersey giants, BBS, ameraucanas, golden lakenvelders, and doubled laced barnevelders (I'll have to get pics soon!). These are all the breeds I plan to breeds next year :)
Unfortunately, this past Thrusday a weasel attacked and killed two of my roosters and injured one of them badly. The surviving rooster has two head wounds and lost his eye. I sprayed Blu-Kote on his head wounds, but I'm clueless on what to do for his eye. His eye started to swell last night and was sealed shut with dried blood. I cleaned the blood of today and what I saw in his eye socket was this white hardish, rubbery stuff. I started to clean it a little more and clear liquid is behind that white stuff. I don't know if I should try to remove the white stuff or not because I don't know if that will make things worse. What do you guys think?

still dealing with the poison ivy over here. It has been just over a week. The children's is gone but mine is still bright red in many of the places.
The hot showers have helped the most but the relief only lasts for so long. I can't take 10 hot showers a day as I don't have enough backup childcare.
Any other suggestions? I have some peppermint oil on the way but it could be another week before it gets here.
Salt water baths. My mother had systemic poison ivy years ago. Nothing was helping. Dr's gave her all kinds of meds that didnt work. She left for Hilton Head, got in the ocean for two days on and off and the poison ivy was gone. Also the health food stores sell poison ivy extract. Apparently taking that helps get rid of it. Don't quote me on it. I just know my mom had some of that too. She gets it really badly. If your animals are spreading it I would bathe them in the same solution as this link for killing poison ivy. Salt dawn and white vinegar. It wont hurt your animals. It really workd to kill ivy too. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/vinegar-for-poison-ivy.html Hope this helps! Oh yeah after your epsom salt baths, apply coconut oil to your skin. Its very soothing and healing.

Last edited:
I have been working on the shirts. But have only had ONE person submit anything to me.
Tonight is the deadline for that. I can extend it and do a few mock ups over the few days. I'm actually out of work, so as long as everyone is ok with waiting then I will extend the deadline!If you have a design idea please pm it to me right away!
I will be doing very basic mock ups for voting. After the voting, I will professionally lay them out in a more aesthetically appealing design.
Lilmizcareall ~ My apologies! I did not see your PM from the group message about Tshirts!! I just went back to check my messages because I didn't think that you ever replied. My Mistake!! I also didn't know that you had posted something on the thread about submitting shirts with a deadline listed. I admit that I have been behind in keeping up with the thread since my trip to Indy. I've been working on catching up, but I'm haven't read them all yet. I should make sure I catch up on my reading so I know what I am talking about!!

Unfortunately, this past Thrusday a weasel attacked and killed two of my roosters and injured one of them badly. The surviving rooster has two head wounds and lost his eye. I sprayed Blu-Kote on his head wounds, but I'm clueless on what to do for his eye. His eye started to swell last night and was sealed shut with dried blood. I cleaned the blood of today and what I saw in his eye socket was this white hardish, rubbery stuff. I started to clean it a little more and clear liquid is behind that white stuff. I don't know if I should try to remove the white stuff or not because I don't know if that will make things worse. What do you guys think?
Yikes! I'm grimmacing just reading about your Ro. How terrible!
Just guessing here--no research has happened on my part--I wonder if the white rubberish stuff is the eyeball and the clear liquid behind it is aqueous/vitreous humor? If that's the case, maybe it would be best to leave all of it in there.?.?.?.? It's been many years since I dissected a cow's eyeball in biology, but none of that sounds very good.
Sending positive thoughts your way.

For those of you in or around the Carmel area, I have drafted a letter to the city council members in hopes of raising the current limit to six hens. If any of you are interested in doing so, I would appreciate your help in lobbying for this cause. I think the best way to accomplish this is by many of us writing similar letters to various council members. This link contains their contact/ e-mail information.

http://www.carmel.in.gov/index.aspx?page=48

I live in Carmel with a small flock of 8 chickens who are not overly noisy and we keep up with them so the smell is negligible but a neighbor complained and the city sent someone out. I think the main complaint was about a new shed we put in to use as a coop, but of course that brought up the issue of numbers in my flock. The ironic part is that the inspector said that for my property's size, I am allowed to have five sheds... Go figure... Then of course the complaint included the honey bees which are completely legal. @%$hole neighbor just being anti-social in general. The city is demanding that I get rid of 5 hens in the next 2 weeks. A different neighbor has offered that we can put our portable coop on his property, but that still leaves 2 that I have to get rid of
sad.png

Any help you guys can offer is much appreciated. I see my chickens as pets more than just egg producers and have raised them from chicks, so picking is nearly impossible.

Thanks so much

If it comes down to it and you have to get rid of those two I might be able to take them for you. I would be close by so you could come visit them (I live by Michigan Rd and 32).

Hey, everyone! Sorry for the lack of activity from my neck of the woods! I just wanted to post a few things in regards to my flock today!
big_smile.png

My babies are another week older today. The hatchery babies are 4 weeks old, and the Legbars from Brad are about 5 weeks old.
smile.png
I took most of their pictures up on a shelf, where I thought it would be easier to get nice shots of them. Boy, was I wrong!
lol.png

Elda the Silver Gray Dorking:

Elda, otherwise known as Cuddles.
big_smile.png

Kit-Kit, the other SGD:

Mabey Mabel the Welsummer. Not totally sure whether she's a boy or a girl at this point...

Poppy the Cream Legbar:

Violet the Cream Legbar:

And since they are incredibly uncooperative at the idea of getting their picture taken like the rest, the Marans were in the brooder for their pics.

Louise the Black Copper Marans (with her ballet legwarmers on!
love.gif
)

And Georgette the BCM, who as it turns out is actually a Georges.
barnie.gif

Tilly (Miss Gray from Leahs mom) passed quarantine today and went outside with the big girl flock. She started a few fights, but everyone's calmed down and the girls are mainly ignoring Till at this point.
smile.png
Hoping she integrates into the flock smoothly!

And some final final news about my late Cochin bantam rooster, Po. Or, well, somewhat about him. Marge, my Silkie (also from Brad
wink.png
) has gone broody, and so I gave her some eggs from the flock with the hopes that she'll hatch some of Po's offspring. The odds are slim, since it's been right around a month since he was in the flock, but they can continue to lay fertile eggs for about 6 weeks after a rooster is removed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
fl.gif
I am a total novice when it comes to hatching eggs, especially under a broody, so if I have any questions I'll be sure to post.

Thus far, Marge has been sitting pretty dedicatedly. I pulled her out this morning so she would eat and drink, and she had a short (and quite angry-sounding) dust bath, then went right back into the nest and adjusted the eggs to sit just so beneath her.
love.gif

Very pretty birds!! I especially love the Dorkings (I've stalked them on Ideal Poultry's site before and almost got them!) and pretty Tilly! I'm glad she found a good home with you!

Good morning everyone! Had a busy weekend inspecting our honeybee hives and picking strawberries- on top of celebrating Father's Day and my parent's 40th anniversary. The chickens have been enjoying their new patio area-just added a gate outside the run to give them extra room. Our smallest silkie hen was looking quite demure perched on the outside of the run.

This morning when I got up, DH ran into the bedroom saying, "look outside at the silkies!" The silkies were lined up by the door waiting to be let out onto the patio area. (the gate was pulled in closer last night so I could move some chairs around and is much larger when in use) Guess they really like it out there!
lau.gif

This is Peta
Can anyone tell me what breed this beautiful rooster is. He is so very gentle. A friend said he might be a french copper maran. He is in the "recovery room" after one of his feathers on his foot was pulled out somehow and it was bleeding. He has a mate, that looks a lot like him, only a lot smaller. Any suggestions????

Back
Top Bottom