INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Here's one more... Notice that both of these were put out by the USDA

142d26ec04f495f0de9a086ef549debb.jpg

LOVED this
I almost forgot to mention, we got our first pullet egg today!!!! It's got to be from one of my leghorns?!?!?! I think that's my only white egg layer.

this is totally awesome! The egg was found in a pile of old hay in my barn that a few of my hens lay in once in awhile. The pic was taken inside a new coop I bought for my kids bantams. They are laying already and I placed it in their nesting box to help them figure out their new home!

ITS soo exciting! I am holding my breath expecting white eggs anyday. Funny to hear that! My leghorns are looking really good.
Quote: I use it in the dust bath areas. Really seems to help and wont harm them.

I'm so happy! :celebrate I found out one my hens is broody and is setting on 16 of her own eggs (no wonder why I was always an egg short when I collected eggs everyday!). This is third broody hen I have had, but this is the first time my hens are free ranging so she made her nest where she wanted it. She made her nest in grape vines that went out of control that looks pretty safe, but I am concerned about a few things (like predators and the cooler temps we've had lately)and have some questions to ask.
Question 1. Should I move her and her eggs to a more safe and secure location or leave her where she's at?
Question 2. Before she had actually started incubating, the temps at night were varied from low 70s to high 40s (like last night). This morning she was off the nest waiting for me to bring breakfast and while she ate I checked on the eggs and they were cold. Is there a chance any will hatch? Should I give her a new batch or wait till day 7 to see if anything is in there?
Thanks!

Here's the main focus of my daughter's presentation if it may help. It's about rabbits, but I see the freedom to raise rabbits or chickens as the same thing...

BookReaderImages.php

https://archive.org/details/domesticrabbitsi218temp
The line above is the link to see the whole pamphlet. There may have been something published like this about chickens, too -- I don't know.

Just found another one

Keep.hens_.raise_.chickens.jpg

Do a google search for WWII raise chickens posters or WWII food posters or something similar to see a lot of other really neat posters about this, victory gardens, canning your food, etc. Aside from the war aspect, so much of it could really apply today. My daughter & I have been fascinated reading all this stuff (as if you couldn't tell!)

OUCH. Whats your coop set up? Is there anything we can help with? I may know someone with some pullets.

144sq ft shed converted into a coop. Free range on 2.5 acres. The problem started around the 4th when we got really busy at work. I usually get home a little after midnight, before predators make their way into the yard. Well, since it was our busy season I wasn't getting home until 4-5am. By then, they would be scared out of the coop and would roost who knows where. They would end up dead, scared somewhere else, roost somewhere else, rinse and repeat.

I was trying to get them all shut up in the coop, but they wouldn't come within 5' of me during the day and I had no idea where they were at night.

Back
Top Bottom