INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

That's is a good idea! Wall mounting them! I know I am a mile from the Whitley county line and technically in Koscuisko county but we r all still neighbors. My kids go to Whitko and that is in both counties. Maybe I am locationally challenged,
smile.png

Well I live half a mile away from the Koscuisko/Whitley county line on the Whitley County side ... So we really are neighbors :)

Welcome! I am knew to the chicken lifestyle too! We just got 4 chicks over the weekend, 2 RIR, and 2 Wyandotte. They are amazing little cuties!

Hi All!

Got a few pictures of my babies! Not so little any more!

The little cream legbar girl

Both little boys are identical, almost a partridge barred. I am thinking maybe they are Cream Legbar Daddy and Dark Brahma Mom. Racin what do you think?

They are cute little guys. Now I just need to find them homes!
Your legbar girl is looking good. Should have a nice tidy crest. Looks like she'll grow up like my girls, not too big, but fluffy and chunky looking.

The Next pic is definitely a mix of Legbar and Dark Cornish (I never had the Legbars and Brahmas in the same pen, and it would have feathered legs) I can't tell from the pic if it is a boy or girl, and the thick legs are a cornish trait, so you can't go by that to tell. I will be fascinated to see how that one turns out. I've never hatched any of those.

Third pic is anybody's guess at this point. All I can say at this point is it isn't pure legbar. It's kind of an odd angle. You can see the coloring pretty good, but not any of the proportions that could be a clue. The barring leads me to think it will be a boy also, but I can't really tell here either.

Welcome! I am knew to the chicken lifestyle too! We just got 4 chicks over the weekend, 2 RIR, and 2 Wyandotte. They are amazing little cuties!

That's just mean for a newbie to introduce themselves, then tease us with only a few details.

Pictures are a must, and we like details, too. Show and tell how you got to the chicken lifestyle, what your set-up is, what's your flock aspirations, etc.
pop.gif

Welcome to the Indiana board! Before you know it, the influence of this board will have you obtaining fancy chickens like NN (naked neck), or show silkies, ducks, be teaching your little ones how to play piano, and building an electronic coop door!

DW and I live in Indianapolis, on a city-sized lot, have 8 hens and 2 two-week old coronation sussex chicks. We've been raising chickens for pets and eggs for over 2 years.

Last edited:
Your legbar girl is looking good. Should have a nice tidy crest. Looks like she'll grow up like my girls, not too big, but fluffy and chunky looking.

The Next pic is definitely a mix of Legbar and Dark Cornish (I never had the Legbars and Brahmas in the same pen, and it would have feathered legs) I can't tell from the pic if it is a boy or girl, and the thick legs are a cornish trait, so you can't go by that to tell. I will be fascinated to see how that one turns out. I've never hatched any of those.

Third pic is anybody's guess at this point. All I can say at this point is it isn't pure legbar. It's kind of an odd angle. You can see the coloring pretty good, but not any of the proportions that could be a clue. The barring leads me to think it will be a boy also, but I can't really tell here either.
I'm in awe of your breed knowledge and sexing skills.
How long have you been doing poultry?

That makes sense, those two are built like wide little spark plugs so that would align with a cornish cross. The legs are massive and the combs are pink on both, I guessed pretty early that they were both boys and was unfortunately right. I can't complain too much, I have had a very high pullet ratio on chicks in the past. I too am interested in seeing how they feather out, but will only be able to keep one of them.

So Dark Cornish/Legbar cross cockerel available to a good home!
big_smile.png

Quote: Believe it or not, I only got my first birds March of 2013. But I tend to exhaustively research any endeavors I may be getting into. I spent years reading up on chickens before we were able to get any. I've also got a Biology degree, and that background helps tremendously. I really enjoy getting into the details on evolution, morphology and genetics when talking and working with animals.

The thing that always seems to surprise me about the cornish is how compact and heavy they are for their size. With their tight feathering, they look so small, and then you realize there is nothing hidden in fluff like there is on other breeds.

Yes, they are super meaty little things! I had to catch them both yesterday and they were both surprisingly fast (and loud when I finally caught them) and very heavy for their relatively small size. I am calling them the chicken nuggets. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom