INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Quote: LM, thanks so much for posting! I want to raise mine too. I guess its my worry over what they are eating, And want to raise them so I know they were loved, talked to and got to socialize, , and cared for. Yep, call me crazy now! I totally agree with sally I want hands on with them from the beginning. DH and I both feel we need to look at raising our own.

Guys, I have what may be a problem! I came up short in my roll call tonight and finally found the missing hen, Sora, huddled in a nest. Looks like she may have been there all day. She was soaked down her belly and her vent feathers were matted with straight water and whitish droppings. Her comb is flopping over and she seems a bit dazed, although that could just be because it was after dark. I honestly have no idea what could be wrong and I am not finding anything similar when searching for these symptoms. I didn't see her walk, but she stood on the perch just fine. She has not lost any weight. Any thoughts? I mean, it could just be something that passes overnight, but I'm concerned because she is a red sexlink, a little more than 4 years old, which unfortunately is within the 'danger zone' in my past experience with red sexlinks, the time when most of them have had issues and passed away as a result. I want to get on top of this as soon as possible!
Take her in and keep her warm. Give her electolytes.. look her over for an unseen injury. There is a stress factor there you have not found yet.
hugs.gif
Hope she is ok. Anytime a bird hides, its not good.

Thanks to Brad I have 6 BLRW & 4 partridge Cochin bantams eggs!!! Looks like I'll be firing up the incubator a few months early lol. Thanks again Brad and good luck with the new job!

yesss.gif
awesome, he has beautiful birds!
Quote: I love mine. They are exceptionally sweet Friendly birds.

I have been soooo busy, I haven't been around since my girls were delivered.... So far all my chicks are doing GREAT!!! All have survived!!! I have identified at least 1 rooster for SURE!!! Can't you all tell...

LOL Now, as for the others.... I will take more photos of them tomorrow, but wanted to get these out there.... what do you all think these girls are..... I know that I been told this girl is a faverolles (which I have 2 of ).

Then I realized that out of the 5 black ones I have 3 that are different.....This is one of them.

and then this one... she has a white chest and a white butt!! LOL

and then this one :)

I know that right now, they aren't all that pretty or cute, but none of us are when we're going from baby to adult (remembering them weird teen years)...... These girls are just 3 weeks old!!
I think they are all adorable. Good to see your post! Last pic is a barred rock

Hello all.

I'm new from Bloomington area.

I've got a modest flock of a mix of birds. I've raised once and processed my first set of meat birds and getting ready to start another.

I don't know why, but I can't seem to figure out how I'm so fascinated with my chickens. ... but I am!

My wife doesn't understand...but she likes the meat.

Glad I've stumbled on tbis site, I'm sure I'll reap a lot of information.
welcome-byc.gif
and our thread!
frow.gif
Jump right in and have fun!
l came back to raising poultry about 2 years or so ago.

Good morning shiny happy chicken friends!

I'm back. 150 posts behind and I'm not reading them, so if anyone said anything to me, PM it. If anyone said anything about me, I hope it was nice, and if not, shame on you, and I'm telling your mother.

I think I have a hen with bumblefoot. I'm off to read all about it.

Thanks Sally :) I found his page, I'm guessing they probably don't sell feeder calves but I'll keep them in mind! Curious and you don't have to share if you don't want to but what do you pay for freezer beef?

I won't have an exact price till the weight is known the rough estimate is between $1000 and $1500 per side.  The side I'm getting in October will be cheaper per pound compared to the may side I'm getting as I requested an older animal for just ground beef for October.
To get an idea of prices for a just the right age to butcher for steaks, you can look at the archer's processing website.  Their Greenwood location is selling a side of beef at $3.69 per hanging pound but they have not updated prices since march on their website.  The archer's processing place in fishers is offering a coupon or special for semi free pork. 

I am getting GRASS FED beef (raised naturally with no pharmaceutical inputs and no grain) for $2.62 hanging weight.  The good thing about my source is that they are a a low-line cross so they are relatively small and don't "break the bank".  The last side I purchased (in August) was about $525 total.

I also have them give me all the livers, tongues, hearts (which are included for free since they just dump them) from all the cattle that are being processed from my source farm.  We either eat it ourselves or use it for the chickens in the winter when they can't get bugs.
That is a GREAT price. It's are totally grassfed, no antibiotics, etc., but even the grain fed are going for more than that here.
Since ours are Dexters even a 730 lb steer will hang over 400 lbs. So a small steer is still gong to run you close to $2k with processing.

Last edited:
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333][COLOR=800000]Upcoming Events:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Friday, September 19- [COLOR=333333][COLOR=2952A3]Dinky's Auction-Montgomery, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Saturday, September 20- [COLOR=2952A3]Southern Indiana Poultry Show-Van Buren, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Saturday, September 20- [COLOR=2952A3]Croy Creek Trader's Fair-Reelsville, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]Sunday, September 21- [COLOR=2952A3]Croy Creek Trader's Fair-Reelsville, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]---[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333]Friday, September 26- [/COLOR][COLOR=2952A3]Veedersburg Sale Barn-Veedersburg, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333]Friday, September 26-[/COLOR][COLOR=333333][COLOR=2952A3]Dinky's Auction-Montgomery, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333]Saturday, September 27- [/COLOR][COLOR=2952A3]Newbury Square Swap Meet & Flea Market - Shipshewana, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333]Saturday, September 27- [/COLOR][COLOR=2952A3]Sandcut Trader's Fair-Terre Haute, IN[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333]Sunday, September 28- [/COLOR][COLOR=2952A3]Sandcut Trader's Fair-Terre Haute, IN[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]---[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333]Friday, October 3- [/COLOR][COLOR=333333][COLOR=2952A3]Dinky's Auction-Montgomery, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333]Saturday, October 4- [/COLOR][COLOR=2952A3]Croy Creek Trader's Fair-Reelsville, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333]Sunday, October 5- [/COLOR][COLOR=2952A3]Croy Creek Trader's Fair-Reelsville, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333]Sunday, October 5- [/COLOR][COLOR=2952A3]Northeast Indiana Poultry Swap Meet-Bluffton, Indiana[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333][COLOR=333333]Sunday, October 5- [/COLOR][COLOR=2952A3]Tri-K Pigeon & Bantam Club-Kankakee, Illinois[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Is there more than one Van Buren in Indiana? The Van Buren I know is 30 mins from. It is a very small town and not in southern Indiana. I am confused

10646804_4823235914137_3166155902786617610_n.jpg

Hey everyone! I'm just so excited, because our chicks got a room addition last night b/c of my awesome husband. They were so excited and happy, pecking at everything in site!

@jchny2000
I'm like you and sally...I prefer to do my own animals because that way I KNOW FOR SURE how they're raised and what they're fed. I'm pretty confident in the folks I"m getting mine from. But there is always that doubt if you aren't the one that raised it.

I've also checked around for feeders but haven't had much luck.

Back
Top Bottom