INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

NOt much going on here today. Just 5 chapters to study for a test on Monday.
tongue.gif
Also looking forward to tomorrow when DH and DS's can get back to work on the winter coop. Making the roost bars, nest boxes, pop door and putting siding on. Hopefully the rain will stay away and they can get a lot done. We are going to be getting a truck load of sand next weekend so hopefully they get far enough along we can get it into the coops and runs. Well off to read,read,read. Hope everyone has a great Friday!!!!
yippiechickie.gif

By the way quick question:
My OEGB ended up being Romeo and Julio, instead of Romeo and JUliet. Can anyone tell me which one would be better to keep, because they look a lot different to me. One has a lot of white and a floppy comb, while the other one doesn't have as much white but has a firm comb. I don't know much about these kind of birds, so any info would be helpful.

I will be asking you about peas next year
wink.png
Loved mine! They decided they liked my neighbor better. He is recently widowed so I let them stay. I want to hatch my own, feel that they will better adjust if hand raised.
ROFL sounds like my DH and his tunnel ram.. he still can't decide what its going on. Tired of it sitting on the microwave instead of a car! He is now saying its going on the truck that goes to the annual jamboree.

Your best bet is to keep familiar birds together, less stress. Will wait for your post.
this is the set up I am wondering about for my MF and Silkies.

cant really see the netting but it runs down the middle from top to bottom, in the 2nd pic you can see the ISA browns next to the net on their side ( they bunk with my silkies. The MF's on the other side. I think it will work as long as I keep the net tight, but would love op's and if you see any possible problems. thanks

Upcoming Events:

Friday, September 19- Dinky's Auction-Montgomery, Indiana

Saturday, September 20- Southern Indiana Poultry Show-Van Buren, Indiana
Saturday, September 20- Croy Creek Trader's Fair-Reelsville, Indiana
Sunday, September 21- Croy Creek Trader's Fair-Reelsville, Indiana
---
Friday, September 26- Veedersburg Sale Barn-Veedersburg, Indiana

Friday, September 26-Dinky's Auction-Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, September 27- Newbury Square Swap Meet & Flea Market - Shipshewana, Indiana
Saturday, September 27- Sandcut Trader's Fair-Terre Haute, IN
Sunday, September 28- Sandcut Trader's Fair-Terre Haute, IN
---
Friday, October 3- Dinky's Auction-Montgomery, Indiana

Saturday, October 4- Croy Creek Trader's Fair-Reelsville, Indiana
Sunday, October 5- Croy Creek Trader's Fair-Reelsville, Indiana
Sunday, October 5- Northeast Indiana Poultry Swap Meet-Bluffton, Indiana
Sunday, October 5- Tri-K Pigeon & Bantam Club-Kankakee, Illinois
I will be at Sancut Traders fair this weekend with some Silkies and some MF's, will have my shirt on, and will send DH around to take pic's for ya'll. This one is smaller than Cory Creek but still allot of fun.

I went out to put the chickens up since my lawn guy is here and heard quite the commotion from the coop. I went to check on Jewel and she had been kicked off the nest. My OEGB mix was raised in the air sitting on 13 eggs all fluffed up and screaming at any chicken that came near.
lau.gif
. I took some out of the nest and put it in the nest box next door. I then moved Twilight to the new location. Jewel went back to her nest and all was calm again. Twilight is only 5 months old, will she be ok to hatch and raise chicks this young. I have never seen her be mean to anything, it was quite surprising!!!

Here is pics of Twilight

I also found some Indian Runner hatching eggs for Jewel.
wee.gif
. I hope she hatches enough hens to give me a better hen/drake ratio. I will sell most of the drakes she hatches out.
My 6 mth old hen just hatched out 3 and is doing great with them, the only thing I worry about is that the temp as droped this week and I hope she can keep them warm and still eat and such.

Do you guys think I should cover the pen and put a 40 wt bulb on the outside of the pen pointing in? or do ya think they will be ok with the chilly temps ?

Thanks to Brad I have 6 BLRW & 4 partridge Cochin bantams eggs!!! Looks like I'll be firing up the incubator a few months early lol. Thanks again Brad and good luck with the new job!
good luck with your hatch
fl.gif

I have been soooo busy, I haven't been around since my girls were delivered.... So far all my chicks are doing GREAT!!! All have survived!!! I have identified at least 1 rooster for SURE!!! Can't you all tell...

LOL Now, as for the others.... I will take more photos of them tomorrow, but wanted to get these out there.... what do you all think these girls are..... I know that I been told this girl is a faverolles (which I have 2 of ).

Then I realized that out of the 5 black ones I have 3 that are different.....This is one of them.

and then this one... she has a white chest and a white butt!! LOL

and then this one :)

I know that right now, they aren't all that pretty or cute, but none of us are when we're going from baby to adult (remembering them weird teen years)...... These girls are just 3 weeks old!!
your blk & gold MIGHT be GLW's ??? but the gold don't look quite right, and the last one is diff. a Barred Rock. Someone will tell ya better then me pretty soon. They grow so fast don't they.

Hello all.

I'm new from Bloomington area.

I've got a modest flock of a mix of birds. I've raised once and processed my first set of meat birds and getting ready to start another.

I don't know why, but I can't seem to figure out how I'm so fascinated with my chickens. ... but I am!

My wife doesn't understand...but she likes the meat.

Glad I've stumbled on tbis site, I'm sure I'll reap a lot of information.
frow.gif
Welcome, glad you joined.

Did you guys see this? It's something I've always wondered! Now I don't feel so guilty about not washing my eggs :)
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/20...-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt
I dont wash my eggs till right before I cook them. Some of my more "countryfied" customers dont want me to wash their eggs, the City people want them washed. ( no offence meant by calling them city people ) and I keep some washed just in case I get a new customer.

10646804_4823235914137_3166155902786617610_n.jpg

Hey everyone! I'm just so excited, because our chicks got a room addition last night b/c of my awesome husband. They were so excited and happy, pecking at everything in site!
JMO I would be worried that they might cut their feet on the edges of the pipe, and do they have any problems walking on the slick suffuse? Just asking. Its a great ideal though.

yesss.gif
awesome, he has beautiful birds!
I love mine. They are exceptionally sweet Friendly birds.

I think they are all adorable. Good to see your post! Last pic is a barred rock

welcome-byc.gif
and our thread!
frow.gif
Jump right in and have fun!
l came back to raising poultry about 2 years or so ago.

JMO I would be worried that they might cut their feet on the edges of the pipe, and do they have any problems walking on the slick suffuse? Just asking. Its a great ideal though.
That's a good point, my husband was looking for his snips and couldn't find them, but I'm hoping he finds them soon, and then he will fold down the edges. I haven't seen them having any difficulty walking through the "tunnel". But that was just last night. Thank you for the thoughts.

Hello all.

I'm new from Bloomington area.

I've got a modest flock of a mix of birds. I've raised once and processed my first set of meat birds and getting ready to start another.

I don't know why, but I can't seem to figure out how I'm so fascinated with my chickens. ... but I am!

My wife doesn't understand...but she likes the meat.

Glad I've stumbled on tbis site, I'm sure I'll reap a lot of information.

Welcome... I am from Bloomington area as well. I also know where that fascination lies. My chickens are a source of theropy for me. I can watch em all day.

My 6 mth old hen just hatched out 3 and is doing great with them, the only thing I worry about is that the temp as droped this week and I hope she can keep them warm and still eat and such.

Do you guys think I should cover the pen and put a 40 wt bulb on the outside of the pen pointing in? or do ya think they will be ok with the chilly temps ?

Can anyone tell me why my Rooster has this red streak down both of his legs? None of the others have it.

You don't need to add heat. The mamma will keep them warm. I had a broody hatch in the hen shed on New Year's eve, temperatures between 13 - 19 F. and raised them there outside with no added heat.

On the legs - assuming there is not an infection anywhere on the feet or legs, roosters naturally have redder pigment in the legs when they are sexually mature.

Back
Top Bottom