INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Welcome! :)

Have you come across any sites showing various stages of bumblefoot? I would like to be able to identify it early on and typically see gross pics online, where it is obvious.

Someone sent this to me a while back and I haven't refrigerated eggs since then. We keep the house about 70 year round so no worries.

I am sorry, this was totally my fault!

I feel like we have our own journalist in the field. Looking forward to your post, still trying to catch up from over the weekend.

Welcome! :)

Hoping she pulls through okay!!

When is the big day? I hope the cemani eggs are still developing on schedule for you!
well I don't have allot to report, Sandcut Traders Fair wasn't the event I was hoping for.
hmm.png
I was the only one with chickens there. It was very cold and windy. I had to keep the birds covered cause they sat in 1 spot all puffed up. about 1 pm it started to warm up and the wind died down some and I was able to uncover the birds. Sancut is defiantly a buyers market, not a sellers, even being the only one with chickens I still had to take a big cut to keep from bringing the birds back home.
They had plenty of stuff for sale, just not farm animal related.... did have a few cages that would have been nice for ya'lls shows but they weren't cheep.
The vendors were supper nice and very friendly. We were told hat the last weekend it was in Sancut was the one we should have been too, lots of critters that week end and they said the sellers went home without their livestock, sold every last one I was told.
They food was great and not to high priced, the coffee was a bit on the high side but it was so cold out we got at least 4 cups each anyway.
Winter is going to hit us in the behind and we are not going to be ready for it at all....
sad.png

Didn't get pic's this time ... sorry... the camera kept turning them red for some reason. DH was in charge cause I had to stay and take care of the birds. And I was stuck by the fire warming my hands and legs, o and catching my blanky on fire... lol good thing it wasn't one of my fav's.
All in all we had a good time talking with new people and getting out of the house for the day.

good evening hoosiers (& WV) - started up the fireplace to take a little chill out of the air til the furnace repairman comes out wednesday + had a power outage from 645 til 1000.
here is our roo doing alot better after his injuries from the dog attack on our flock july 09th. hes still got some more recovery to go yet & prob wont regain full use of his left leg :

Last edited:
Because I'm having a tough time sexing this crazy bird, I brought it inside to photograph.

9 week old Easter Egger Mix

While taking the pics, my curious dog sniffed the chicken. I watched as the confused chicken jumped onto the curious dog's back. Dog didn't like it & started to walk away. Chicken got a doggie-back ride across the room.

Here is a little update on my Jearhon flock - a few folks expressed some interest when I first got them as chicks back in February ...

I've learned that they take longer to mature, similar to the banty breeds. My girls didn't start laying until late August - so it took six months before I started to see egg production. They were EXTREMELY flighty as chicks in the brooder - little freakazoids, really - but once I put them out in a run, they settled right down and became the sweetest natured chickens I've ever worked with. I've raised about 15-20 different breeds of chicken and these are, hands down, my favorite.

Their eggs were small to begin with, as usual - but now they are laying a very nice sized egg for the small bird that they are. Here is a photo of a double-yolker I collected from them (the egg on the left). It's pretty huge! Ouch!

Here is one of my gentle roos:

The reports of Jaerhons being excellent fliers are true. The first thing that GG (my favorite NJ hen) did when I let her out to free range, was fly to the top of the shed roof:

Here's my NJ flock enjoying a summer sunflower treat ... you can see the dark (gold) and light (white) hens together here:

I had my partridge silkie and jaerhon flocks mixed together for a little while and this beautiful pullet (NJs are auto sexing and the white spot on the top of the head indicates pullet) with some deep red coloring that hatched last week looks like it is most likely a mix - can't wait to see how it feathers out:

In another coop corner - both my Serama hens hatched some chicks for me this summer - five total - and I think that all five of them just might be girls. Here are the three youngest, taken a couple weeks ago:

And one of the proud Serama sires - "Caboose" ... I hatched him this past Christmas when I was going through chick withdrawal:

Well, that's my update - summer kept me so busy that I really didn't have time to participate in IN BYC. I missed it. I enjoy seeing all the photos that everyone posts, getting ideas and learning from questions that are posted and answered. I hope to be able to check in here more often now that I've just about got my flock culled to winter proportions and the garden is about finished up.

G'night for now!

good evening hoosiers (& WV) - started up the fireplace to take a little chill out of the air til the furnace repairman comes out wednesday + had a power outage from 645 til 1000.
here is our roo doing alot better after his injuries from the dog attack on our flock july 09th. hes still got some more recovery to go yet & prob wont regain full use of his left leg :
glad to see he is doing better, he looks great!! Love his coloring.
love.gif

Because I'm having a tough time sexing this crazy bird, I brought it inside to photograph.

9 week old Easter Egger Mix

While taking the pics, my curious dog sniffed the chicken. I watched as the confused chicken jumped onto the curious dog's back. Dog didn't like it & started to walk away. Chicken got a doggie-back ride across the room.
very cute and I love the dogie back ride, looks fun.

Here is a little update on my Jearhon flock - a few folks expressed some interest when I first got them as chicks back in February ...

I've learned that they take longer to mature, similar to the banty breeds. My girls didn't start laying until late August - so it took six months before I started to see egg production. They were EXTREMELY flighty as chicks in the brooder - little freakazoids, really - but once I put them out in a run, they settled right down and became the sweetest natured chickens I've ever worked with. I've raised about 15-20 different breeds of chicken and these are, hands down, my favorite.

Their eggs were small to begin with, as usual - but now they are laying a very nice sized egg for the small bird that they are. Here is a photo of a double-yolker I collected from them (the egg on the left). It's pretty huge! Ouch!

Here is one of my gentle roos:

The reports of Jaerhons being excellent fliers are true. The first thing that GG (my favorite NJ hen) did when I let her out to free range, was fly to the top of the shed roof:

Here's my NJ flock enjoying a summer sunflower treat ... you can see the dark (gold) and light (white) hens together here:

I had my partridge silkie and jaerhon flocks mixed together for a little while and this beautiful pullet (NJs are auto sexing and the white spot on the top of the head indicates pullet) with some deep red coloring that hatched last week looks like it is most likely a mix - can't wait to see how it feathers out:

In another coop corner - both my Serama hens hatched some chicks for me this summer - five total - and I think that all five of them just might be girls. Here are the three youngest, taken a couple weeks ago:

And one of the proud Serama sires - "Caboose" ... I hatched him this past Christmas when I was going through chick withdrawal:

Well, that's my update - summer kept me so busy that I really didn't have time to participate in IN BYC. I missed it. I enjoy seeing all the photos that everyone posts, getting ideas and learning from questions that are posted and answered. I hope to be able to check in here more often now that I've just about got my flock culled to winter proportions and the garden is about finished up.

G'night for now!
very prtey birds, didnt know what they were. The chicks are very cute but who can not like chicks?? lol and Serama - "Caboose" is gorgeous.
love.gif

My parents came to visit. My dad so does not get the whole chicken thing. He kept asking "why chickens?" (actually he has been asking that for months - the first time was with a look of utter disgust). I was good and did not retort with asking him why he enjoys hobbies he and my mom are actively involved with. At least my hobby provide food!

My mom get's it. Her fondest memories are summers on the family farm with her grandparents. Actually those are my fondest memories too! And the farm is still in the family.

The thing my mom found the funniest was how, as soon as anyone goes outside, they would all run over and beg for treats. She kept saying "they are as bad as dogs begging for treats!". She'd lead the around the yard pied piper style just for kicks.

I know what you mean about parents...My mother has always taken my current interests in stride.

In the 80s and 90s, I bought several repossessed houses, fixed them up, then sold or rented them. We had numerous family gatherings in my homes that were without walls or ceilings.

I've always had stray or foster animals that were hanging out while I worked to get them a forever home. Mother would always get little Xmas stockings and put their names in glitter for Santa to find them.

Then came gardening, canning, and now chickens. Everybody in the family knows their names and personalities. At family gatherings, the kids like to feed the chickens, watch them peck, and gather the eggs.

Mother hasn't made them little stockings with glitter names yet--I'm pretty sure she's waiting this one out to see if it's a phase.

You'd think I would learn but sometimes it is just hard to resist cake, or homemade bread!!
It didn't quote the whole post, but... :oops: That reminds me that I forgot to get that bread recipe to you!! So sorry! :/ My sister should be home any minute now and I will send that to you as soon as she's back!
I guess now that real life has started again, I will only be able to drop by occasionally, sigh. My parents came to visit. My dad so does not get the whole chicken thing. He kept asking "why chickens?" (actually he has been asking that for months - the first time was with a look of utter disgust). I was good and did not retort with asking him why he enjoys hobbies he and my mom are actively involved with. At least my hobby provide food! My mom get's it. Her fondest memories are summers on the family farm with her grandparents. Actually those are my fondest memories too! And the farm is still in the family. The thing my mom found the funniest was how, as soon as anyone goes outside, they would all run over and beg for treats. She kept saying "they are as bad as dogs begging for treats!". She'd lead the around the yard pied piper style just for kicks. Okay, time to go to bed before I fall asleep at the computer!
My dad was similar when we first got chickens, as I recall. I think it was more because he was raised on a farm and had chickens, so he expected mine to be raised differently than they are. Now, he goes out of his way to admire 'his girls' and looks forward to Frou-Frou visits every weekend when he's off work. :)
Because I'm having a tough time sexing this crazy bird, I brought it inside to photograph. 9 week old Easter Egger Mix
That is a tricky one, but judging by her relatively small comb and even coloration, I would lean toward pullet. Her comb is pinkish, but still only one row, which is usually a feminine trait. I think you aren't going to know for sure on this one or the Sussex until 12 weeks or later. :/
Here is a little update on my Jearhon flock - a few folks expressed some interest when I first got them as chicks back in February ... I've learned that they take longer to mature, similar to the banty breeds. My girls didn't start laying until late August - so it took six months before I started to see egg production. They were EXTREMELY flighty as chicks in the brooder - little freakazoids, really - but once I put them out in a run, they settled right down and became the sweetest natured chickens I've ever worked with. I've raised about 15-20 different breeds of chicken and these are, hands down, my favorite. Their eggs were small to begin with, as usual - but now they are laying a very nice sized egg for the small bird that they are. Here is a photo of a double-yolker I collected from them (the egg on the left). It's pretty huge! Ouch! Here's my NJ flock enjoying a summer sunflower treat ... you can see the dark (gold) and light (white) hens together here: And one of the proud Serama sires - "Caboose" ... I hatched him this past Christmas when I was going through chick withdrawal: Well, that's my update - summer kept me so busy that I really didn't have time to participate in IN BYC. I missed it. I enjoy seeing all the photos that everyone posts, getting ideas and learning from questions that are posted and answered. I hope to be able to check in here more often now that I've just about got my flock culled to winter proportions and the garden is about finished up. G'night for now!
:drool I know I added dark Jaerhons to my list after you posted them!! They are beautiful birds! Seramas have had a place on my list for a long time, too! Caboose is a handsome little fellow!

Afternoon everyone, I really hate to bother you, I have been searching all morning about round worms. I found some in my coop this morning.

I have 2- 8 week old chicks, 17 hens (1-1 1/2 yo), 1 rooster (1 yo), 12 -9 week old turkeys poults. The turkeys are housed separately. I found the worms in the hen house with the hens, rooster and chicks.

I have never wormed them and all of this reading, medicine names, dosage, etc I am getting confused. I will enclose a pic of the worms in question. I believe they are round worms.

How would you treat for these? I do value all of the information you offer. I do not care to eat the eggs while treating the birds if that makes a difference. I would prefer to throw them out.

Do I treat the chicks any differently than the hens?

Do I treat the turkey poults any differently?

Here are the pics.

Here are the pics.

Do you know if I have to worry about my outside cats getting them as well? I do know that I had a dove nest knocked down out of a tree about 3 weeks ago. The babies have been staying in the chicken yard. I'm not really sure how to get "rid" of them. Any suggestions on that will be helpful too.

Thanks in advance!

Deb

Back
Top Bottom