INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@ChickCrazed

Maybe you could adapt something like this..

0.jpg

@ChickCrazed

Maybe you could adapt something like this..

0.jpg

I like it! My issue is that anything that can hold a horse sized amount of hay and stand up to horse abuse is expensive! I've seen people make them out of water troughs that are $100 each (for four horses...ouch!). I considered a plastic trash can since I have had trouble finding the food grade plastic barrels, but a trash can strong enough to survive a horse is $60 or more each also. I liked the one I pictured above since there was nothing for them to lean on or mutilate (my horses are jerks).

Something like this could work too, a metal hoop that you could pull up horizontal to the ground, drop the hay in and then it would fall back against the wall and not allow them access to the hay from the top. I wonder if I could find a cheap basket ball rim. Would anything else work?

My friend got food grade barrels from a local lock up unit. She cut them in half and hung them with zip ties behind fencing for her animals as well. Others she hung from the side with oval holes in them. They had the lids glued on them. I love this idea as the cement mixing tubs are readily available to all.

go to the craft store they sell large metal rings for dream catchers and other things. I have seen them as large as 36".

I have a random project and am hoping you guys might have a good idea on how to accomplish it easily and cheaply! I want to build four slow feeders for my horses hay. They eat way too fast and waste a ton. I originally had an idea to build them out of plastic food grade barrels, but they are SUPER hard to find!!! I have not entirely given up on that idea, but then I saw this and thought it was really cool! It is easy to fill from the back, just toss the hay in.

They are over $300 each to purchase! But I already have the netting, I just need some ideas on how to make the frame. The opening at the top could even be round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make something like this? I don't think the metal sheeting is necessary, but I could pretty easily use canvas or tarp if I decided I needed something to block the wind. I am most befuddled by the frame. PVC might be doable but seems like it could be flimsy against a horse. @hoosiercheetah
It looks very similar to the crab nets I have looked at when buying my chicken catching net but with 2 posts instead of one handle.

Back
Top Bottom