INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I just started with hatching eggs on Wed. and they are Buff Orpington & Copper Maran Chicken and looking to get some White leghorn soon. I live in Tipton

I adore my buffs, never had marans before but i have heard they are nice birds. I had one pr. of white leghorns but they were sick so i really didnt get to see how they were. so you dont have any yet. I love incubating. not having much luck though. trying seramas . all fails so far. good luck on your hatch !!
fl.gif

Well, it looks like I am going to get at least one chick from my shipped genetic hackle eggs - there is one more in the incubator so I am hoping for two ... should know by the end of the day tomorrow. I am happy that the purchase of six eggs is not going to be a complete bust. Very fitting for Thanksgiving!

I hope everyone had a nice day ... I am going to a pigeon show on Saturday and am really looking forward to it!

Good night, all!

Out of the shell first thing this morning! The other genetic hackle was a late quitter.
sad.png
It would have been a pretty color. Made me sad. But I am thankful that the hatching egg purchase wasn't a complete bust!

Have a lovely Friday, peeps!
Awww, congrats!

I have a random project and am hoping you guys might have a good idea on how to accomplish it easily and cheaply! I want to build four slow feeders for my horses hay. They eat way too fast and waste a ton. I originally had an idea to build them out of plastic food grade barrels, but they are SUPER hard to find!!! I have not entirely given up on that idea, but then I saw this and thought it was really cool! It is easy to fill from the back, just toss the hay in.

They are over $300 each to purchase! But I already have the netting, I just need some ideas on how to make the frame. The opening at the top could even be round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make something like this? I don't think the metal sheeting is necessary, but I could pretty easily use canvas or tarp if I decided I needed something to block the wind. I am most befuddled by the frame. PVC might be doable but seems like it could be flimsy against a horse. @hoosiercheetah
Interesting.. I need a similar idea for my goats! Bo rips things up with his horns.

How do become a member BYC Indiana Thread

You are already, just by posting, if you would like to be added to the member list, or an avatar picture with map @bradselig @Mother2Hens or myself can do that for you.
You can visit our member page, member list and more by clicking the links at the bottom of this post. Our thread have been active a long time, and we only ask to be respectful of others opinions and remember to keep things "family clean". We have some young adult members and children on our thread.
As you have already seen, we talk about more than chickens
big_smile.png

Great to see my nephew home from Afghanistan! He has grown up so much. Got to meet his lovely wife, he hugged me so hard LOL! I miss that adorable young boy I watched grow up, but it sure is a huge feeling of pride to see him now as a grown man. He is now a firefighter in a larger city. Life sure goes by fast.
Going to appreciate this weekend with a little warmer temps. Working hard on the barn, clearing out so many years and finding a lot of memories. Got the gravity feeder set up from @SallyinIndiana and wow the flocks took right to it! (guineas screamed at it a while
lau.gif
) Ordering the parts to fix the outdoor hydrant
yesss.gif
DH is feeling motivated to build more feeders, and I will stop FF until we stay above freezing. I may use it as a "treat" every other day..but it will cut down on some of the workload.

I have a random project and am hoping you guys might have a good idea on how to accomplish it easily and cheaply! I want to build four slow feeders for my horses hay. They eat way too fast and waste a ton. I originally had an idea to build them out of plastic food grade barrels, but they are SUPER hard to find!!! I have not entirely given up on that idea, but then I saw this and thought it was really cool! It is easy to fill from the back, just toss the hay in. They are over $300 each to purchase! But I already have the netting, I just need some ideas on how to make the frame. The opening at the top could even be round. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make something like this? I don't think the metal sheeting is necessary, but I could pretty easily use canvas or tarp if I decided I needed something to block the wind. I am most befuddled by the frame. PVC might be doable but seems like it could be flimsy against a horse. @hoosiercheetah
Would an old basketball hoop mounted on a post work? Finished reading the thread... I think the hoop may be small to fit the hay into.

Last edited:
Working on my plans for next year, and will be ordering Broad Breasted turkey poults from Meyer hatchery in Ohio. I raised 18 last year and had very good success with them. I prefer heritage birds myself, and do keep bourbon red and just added mini whites from @racinchickins . DH wants to add them for lots of ground turkey again. We have enough folks interested to fill the order, but the more we get, the cheaper they are. I have purchased cornish cross chickens, embden & chinese geese from them, and they are vibrant healthy birds. We use this hatchery for meat birds/pets only, not heritage breeds. If anyone would like to add to the order, PM me or reply to the post. The order will arrive probably late March, or late April once I have a number we will be ordering. Highly recommend a minimum of 3 poults in case of fatalities. Birds are flock animals and need a buddy.
You can see the BB turkey options here: https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=DTABBS The bronze are larger, the whites have white skin so there are no pinfeather marks and makes a more attractive finished bird.

Last post, I promise
hide.gif

We are downsizing our flocks. So I have available ...all adult birds for sale or trade:
No turkeys left.
Black australorps: Broody hens.
adult hens (several) and 1 rooster. The roo is aggressive to other roosters.
Silkies:Broody hens.
splash/partridge showgirl hen (love her coloring) hard to describe her.
white hen
frizzle partridge roo
white roo
very tiny adult buff roo.
Polish:
Tolbunt hen and rooster. Roo is aggressive to other roosters and does not like black boots/shoes.
Splash frizzle hen
Silver laced hen
Millie's
2 roos, 4 hens
Quail:
About 30 left, will process next weekend. Will resume breeding next spring. Have jumbo brown, golden and red/tuxedo adults.
Guinea
Have a few pair of white.
Duck
10 pekin duck and drake
5 black muscovy
Geese
2 brown chinese gander
Handful of mixed breed bantam: free to a forever home or they will just stay
love.gif
They are a few that my white silkie hatched (hidden eggs) and are either bantam cochin or millie or OEGB mixed birds.

Back
Top Bottom