INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hello Leslea neighbor. My daughter lives in Georgetown.
welcome-byc.gif

frow.gif
frow.gif
frow.gif

Here's some pictures of the Polish chick's I got from Jchny2000. They are right at 8 weeks old now. Any ideas on male or female? #1 #2 #3 #4 #4 seems to look different than the others, I'm hopeful he's a roo and the others are hens.
I have never had Polish, but that would be my guess, too. And they sure are cute!
#2 and #4 have my vote for Roos. The two Gold laced (1&3) look like my girls at the same age.

Thanks Racinchickins.
The flying thing could be a problem.  DH hates it when a chicken walks into our screen room or garage.  (They poop as they wait for us by the back door, so it gets stepped into on his way off to work.)  A small fence is keeping them behind the garage most of the time.  We really prefer a chicken-free zone between the house & garage.

It's very rare for a chicken to go over the property line fence.  Both times it's happened, it's been accidental & they panic trying to get back to the flock.  Of course when my neighbor opens the gate to invite our dogs into her yard, the chickens will take advantage of the open invitation. Did I mention, we have great neighbors?  The chickens are entertainment, and a few neighbors bring treats to throw over the fence.  I'm just not sure what they'd think if a couple big turkeys landed in their yard in search of treats.

Also, our chickens make their own dust baths even though a nice sandy run is provided.  Little 8-12" pot holes can be found in my flower beds.  Do turkeys do the same?  How much damage can they do?

Uh oh I didn't think about that.. How big of a hole do Turkeys make for dust bathing? And how much sq ft per bird for coop and run, guess I should have asked before I made arrangements to buy some.

Quote: Chickens make a chicken sized dust bathing hole and turkeys make one that is turkey sized. So if you have a 4 lb chicken and a 20 lb tom......the hole is bigger. I would at least double the square footage for turkeys, I'm not a big fan of crowding. One thing to consider is that turkeys are much less weather dependent. My chickens pretty much don't use their run in winter. The turkeys are outside during the day rain/snow/whatever.

Chickens make a chicken sized dust bathing hole and turkeys make one that is turkey sized. So if you have a 4 lb chicken and a 20 lb tom......the hole is bigger. I would at least double the square footage for turkeys, I'm not a big fan of crowding. One thing to consider is that turkeys are much less weather dependent. My chickens pretty much don't use their run in winter. The turkeys are outside during the day rain/snow/whatever.

OK so here's some more ?s

If you clip a turkey's wing, can it still fly?
If a chicken's space requirement is 10 sq ft per bird, is it about 20 sq ft per turkey?
Do they eat 2x as well? (Or more?)
If we're away & they must be closed up in the run, will they get stir crazy? My hens aren't very active (mostly Orpingtons), so it's not a big deal to them.
Any particularly docile breeds?

after 7 days I candle my eggs I see life in 7 out of 12 and 3 have veins. 2 of them looks like there dead.

Back
Top Bottom