INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Well again can't say enough good things about gqf! Received my replacement door and back panel today. Was surprised to open it ip to see they upgraded the door to the clear at no additional charge! Got it installed!

Looks amazing! Congrats!

@PeacefulWalls

I forgot folks don't get to see the Amish as much as we do!!! I think that should be a drawing point for the chickenfest.... Come to Amishland! Come on Friday and visit Amish attractions then stay overnight and go to chickenfest the next day :D
I used to really enjoy reading the Amish fiction books. I know I would not ever want to live that lifestyle though. Still its fun to take a look back in time once in a while.

Hi everyone. I haven't been on in I don't know how long. Well I am moving out of state and have found homes for almost all my chickens. BUT.. I have some Millie Roos that need good homes, 2 little ones and 5 adults. Please email me if interested. Need to be gone soon or I'll have to give them to a neighbor who will keep them in cages and just take them to nasty swap meets!! Cute little guys. And they are free!! Willing to meet if not to far!
Hey, Jenni! Thought you had already moved. How did you end up with so many roosters? If you don't find homes for them I can take them to some shows--a little different clientele there than at the swaps. They would be penned in the meantime but not in small cages, just something to keep them safe. Also, I still have your cage.
This is totally un-chicken related. But I wanted to post a couple pictures of the newest member of our inside zoo.

The momma gave birth to 3 kittens outside our back door sometime this morning, but this is the only one that we could save. The other 2 were already gone by the time we found them. These pictures were taken about 9 this morning. I think that I am going to name it Spunky, cuz it sure has a lot of spunk
love.gif

In case anyone's interested, here's info for Goshen High School's musical. Performances are this weekend and next weekend. Our daughter is in the cast again, DH & DS both worked on set & I sewed a lot of the costumes this year. Should be another great show -- the music director puts out a top notch production every year. Tomorrow night is the parent preview performance -- can't wait!
Love that musical! I used to be pretty involved in theatre--community theatre and directed plays when I was still with the high school. My nephew is following the tradition--he's a senior theatre major at UIndy. Enjoy the production--wish I were close enough to go.

Well again can't say enough good things about gqf! Received my replacement door and back panel today. Was surprised to open it ip to see they upgraded the door to the clear at no additional charge! Got it installed!

yippiechickie.gif

Coop #2 cleaned out today! It was a awesome afternoon (besides the mud). Also found an amazing 6 month old Red Boer buckling to be my herd sire! He weighed #90 in Feb. Picking him up next Sunday! He is a monster all ready I think he will be a very large Buck.

Can you tell I'm excited about this 100% boer buckling! Lol

Boer goats are the meat goats right? If so what age is typical for processing? I keep trying to decide if I have Nubian bucks born here what I'll do with them. I know what I do with spare roosters but I'm not sure about the spare buck kids. Maybe I just need to toughen up a bit.

Evening, all! Looks like I got left behind in the past few days. :lol: I'm on spring break right now, so naturally my niece brought home a nice cold for me to suffer with and not get anything done I had hoped. :/ Sore throat, dizzies, fever, general yuckiness. Hoping it's gone in a few days so I can get some work done outside on my week off! I have a list of springy things to do with coops and pens, and I want to get out there and get them done!

The girls are well. Haven't seen anything of Mr. Hawk since he flew into the window about 5 days ago. :fl Hoping he's moved on. The girls are getting antsy in their mini-yard, as evidenced by me having to chase one of them (not naming any names, but she's a crazy white-egger, so I don't expect much else) off the roof of the coop today. I think we're all looking forward to seeing the ground again! We've got some mud and rivers running through here and there, wherever there is visible ground, but I'll take it any day over freezing frigid cold and snowstorms.

My three winter refugees are looking pretty good, too. Cubby's back to eating pretty normally, and it looks like Louise might finally be improving. And, well, Frou-Frou's still being Frou-Frou. :rolleyes: I guess the good news about her is with the time change, she's no longer playing alarm clock. :yesss: They're keeping me busy, anyway, these three...

Anyway, I didn't do much more than skim the past few pages. Just wanted to say before I go, I love all the coop pictures and ideas. :drool

Boer goats are the meat goats right?  If so what age is typical for processing?  I keep trying to decide if I have Nubian bucks born here what I'll do with them.  I know what I do with spare roosters but I'm not sure about the spare buck kids.  Maybe I just need to toughen up a bit. 

Yes Boers are bred for meat. You can also sell Nubians as meat Wethers they do really well. We started raising Nubians a few years ago and now are moving in the Meat direction. I will always have Nubians they are great milkers/moms and take another's young as their own if something happens or the kid is orphaned. Plus a Nubian/Boer cross make really good meat goats also.

Last edited:
Quote: I got the nubians for the milk so its good to hear you say they are great milkers. At the time I got the does I was not expecting to buy a buck but it became necessary as AI on a goat is difficult if she has not given birth. Then there were biosecurity concerns for renting a buck so we ended up buying a buck for about the cost of 1 year's AI for my 3 does. And I got the test results back all 4 of my goats are CAE negative.

Hey Peabirdhaven , well he has been moved for just over a year. We finally sold Jan 3. Elymaerans (sp) is going to take them. I had Millie babies last year and boys seem to be in my genetics! Where I'm moving I can't have Roos! I'm taking 4 Millie's and the 2 silkies that came from you!!!;). You can keep the cage! I have plenty and won't need it.

I got the nubians for the milk so its good to hear you say they are great milkers.  At the time I got the does I was not expecting to buy a buck but it became necessary as AI on a goat is difficult if she has not given birth.  Then there were biosecurity concerns for renting a buck so we ended up buying a buck for about the cost of 1 year's AI for my 3 does.  And I got the test results back all 4 of my goats are CAE negative. 

We had a local vet who liked our goats and bought his own buck from us and a doe out of our herd. (Kinda made me proud of or operation) anyway he tested my herd we also were all negative. We bought a young buck after paying for two breedings when we first got into them, It was no question we needed our own.

Back
Top Bottom