INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Advice: a nicked quick

One of my hens had a bloody toe. It was slowly dripping blood. I cleaned it well, dabbed with peroxide, applied cornstarch, then triple antibiotic, gauze, & vet tape. Good News: She stopped bleeding very quickly & laid an egg. Bad news: she took her bandage off.

Any advice on her return to flock? I was going to put her back since it's only been 30 min, but I don't like the idea of her walking through the run if it may start bleeding again. Any ideas on how to bandage it? (Middle front toe)

Add: Most of the nail is in tact, so it's not really the toe bleeding, but the quick of the nail.

Last edited:
Advice: a nicked quick

One of my hens had a bloody toe. It was slowly dripping blood. I cleaned it well, dabbed with peroxide, applied cornstarch, then triple antibiotic, gauze, & vet tape. Good News: She stopped bleeding very quickly & laid an egg. Bad news: she took her bandage off.

Any advice on her return to flock? I was going to put her back since it's only been 30 min, but I don't like the idea of her walking through the run if it may start bleeding again. Any ideas on how to bandage it? (Middle front toe)

Add: Most of the nail is in tact, so it's not really the toe bleeding, but the quick of the nail.

I'd put some superglue all over the nail (as long as it is not actively bleeding). It should provide a nice hard protective coating. I had to do it with one of my dog's nails when I cut it too close.

Haven't been on for awhile, I have been reading a few post now and then. Been pretty busy around here. Trying to cut back on birds , since my only daughter still at home only has 2 more 4-H fairs left, but keeping some as she does want to continue showing at the open shows.

We are adding polled nigerian goats to the farm. Been going to alot of open rabbit shows and will be going to goat shows as soon as we found out where and when they are.

Had a few minutes just want to jump in and say HI !!! to everyone.

Riddle me this Batman: How do you get a frizzled chick out of two non-frizzled parents when frizzle is an incomplete dominant gene?

My mom was saying she wonders if this will affect our Turkey Prices for Thanksgiving.
I agree! I mentioned that same thing to my husband just yesterday!

I just read in the news that they found a strain in Arkansas and Missouri who supplies Butterball.

Welcome - and congrats on your soon to be arrivals! You might be surprised about the bees. I live smack dab in the middle of Indy in a historical neighborhood and we have several bee keepers. I know they took a huge hit last winter. Not sure how they fared this winter since we all just started thawing out and coming out of hibernation - I haven't been walking around the neighborhood yet. The honeybees love our neighbor's pear trees. We've never had a problem with the honeybees. Now the yellow-jackets we were swarmed by and ended up in the ER. But the honeybees really don't bother people and they sure help my garden!
I'd love to keep bees too, but I live in town (Anderson) and my neighbors are close, they might not like it. :hmm

Welcome back stranger!
I'd love to keep bees. But I'd die from it.

Do these large turkey farms hatch their own turkeys? Or buy them from a source?

Haven't been on for awhile, I have been reading a few post now and then. Been pretty busy around here. Trying to cut back on birds , since my only daughter still at home only has 2 more 4-H fairs left, but keeping some as she does want to continue showing at the open shows.

We are adding polled nigerian goats to the farm. Been going to alot of open rabbit shows and will be going to goat shows as soon as we found out where and when they are.

Had a few minutes just want to jump in and say HI !!! to everyone.

We started out with the nigerians, but my oldest daughter raised mini nubians, so since I didn't want to have a stinky billy, we just used her billys for the mini nubians, but now my middle daughter's , girls are starting the fair, we are going back to the nigerians, mostly for them to show. Not only that but they have quads alot, and they are so tiny and cute. We just love them. Nothing like goat kids, for cuteness, I can watch them for hours. !!

Hey everyone! Spring has sprung! BUT I have some "indoor" chickens. Their coop door is open 10 hours a day for them to free range. But they won't come out side for more than 5 minutes at a time! How do I get them more interested in being out!?

Hey everyone! Spring has sprung! BUT I have some "indoor" chickens. Their coop door is open 10 hours a day for them to free range. But they won't come out side for more than 5 minutes at a time! How do I get them more interested in being out!?

Throw scratch out for them! Works every time

Back
Top Bottom