INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Good evening fellow chicken lovers!!!! Today was a wonderful day.... :weee Got my silkie eggs in the mail from @kabhyper1 , thanks for the extras and the surprise egg. Can't wait to see the awesome colors I might get.:pop The next few weeks is going to be rough, all the waiting..:caf But alas I have some of my own babies hatching this weekend and next for the Easter hatch along, so I have plenty to keep me busy. Now I need y'alls help. I just got an assortment of baby chicks last weekend and I need help figuring out what this one is. I'm thinking polish, because it has slate colored legs and a small top knot and a funny beak, but the coloring is throwing me off. What do you guys think? .
maybe an appenzeller spitzhauben?

Quote:
I had just started getting eggs again from my BLRW, I got none today and I sure don't expect any tomorrow either.

On a different note the very pretty mallards you gave me are in their own breeding pen and they have not started to lay yet. The drake is mating the ducks but no eggs yet. I'm wondering if they are one of the wild creatures that won't reproduce when caged. At least they are pretty and my Dh pokes a bit of fun at the drake. I guess it clicked one day that darkwing duck was a mallard drake.

Last edited:
I had just started getting eggs again from my BLRW, I got none today and I sure don't expect any tomorrow either.

On a different note the very pretty mallards you gave me are in their own breeding pen and they have not started to lay yet. The drake is mating the ducks but no eggs yet. I'm wondering if they are one of the wild creatures that won't reproduce when caged. At least they are pretty and my Dh pokes a bit of fun at the drake. I guess it clicked one day that darkwing duck was a mallard drake.
I have not had the opportunity to test it myself, but I've seen in a video a lady says to feed a ration of whole corn in addition to regular feed to help keep hens laying through cold weather, I've thought it will be worth a try when my chicks get old enough.

Keep in mind this lady lives somewhere in Florida and their cold weather is a lot different than ours.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice snow flurries today?

I'm not happy about the predicted low for tonight but I'm looking forward to next week's weather.
In the Chicago area, we awoke to snow again this morning! Most of it melted by 4pm, but some remains in those always shaded areas.
Definitely looking forward to the warm up.

Back
Top Bottom