INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Went to RK for a heat lamp bulb but got really distracted, forgot the heat lamp bulb entirely (two children were with me, one's autistic and having a 'bad day'), started nursing a very weak turkey poult back to a semblance of health, bought her and a few others (even though I swore I would never get BB turkeys ever again), but my efforts proved too little too late. I got to snuggle with her all the way home, but when I put her in the brooder, she started flopping around and shortly later was gasping. I tried some sugar water, but she stopped breathing a few minutes later and CPR wasn't enough to bring her back.

I'm just stupid where turkeys are concerned. There is something unstoppably, irresistibly endearing about turkey poults. Bacon was love at first sight for me, and sadly, this little poult was too. I saw her from the corner of an eye as I was looking for sweet pdz and wood chips, and I knew she needed me. Now I'm down to hoping she died feeling loved.

love all the pics. I could look at chick pics all day.

Well, here's some more.

The two littlest ones are EEs (supposed to be pullets
fl.gif
). I think one might be BLR, the other may be a darker blue or black laced red, or something else entirely. They're both very pretty, imo.

There are three dark Brahmas left. I think they're all boys--except possibly one. The Jersey Giant's definitely a girl
yesss.gif
but the miscellaneous red chick is definitely not. I'm no closer to figuring out what he is though. He's much darker than my RIRs were last year, has a single comb, dark legs, no muffs or other facial hair to speak of. Chipmunk striped and EXTREMELY slow-feathering. Even the Brahmas are outstripping him in that regard. No clue what he is, but he is adorable.

Ooo, poor little thing. I'd have to say she died knowing she was loved. So sorry you couldn't save her.
Went to RK for a heat lamp bulb but got really distracted, forgot the heat lamp bulb entirely (two children were with me, one's autistic and having a 'bad day'), started nursing a very weak turkey poult back to a semblance of health, bought her and a few others (even though I swore I would never get BB turkeys ever again), but my efforts proved too little too late. I got to snuggle with her all the way home, but when I put her in the brooder, she started flopping around and shortly later was gasping. I tried some sugar water, but she stopped breathing a few minutes later and CPR wasn't enough to bring her back. I'm just stupid where turkeys are concerned. There is something unstoppably, irresistibly endearing about turkey poults. Bacon was love at first sight for me, and sadly, this little poult was too. I saw her from the corner of an eye as I was looking for sweet pdz and wood chips, and I knew she needed me. Now I'm down to hoping she died feeling loved.
Even my daughter who has always loves snow wasn't happy to see flurries today. The flurries aren't as bad as the cold tonight though.
Anyone else notice snow flurries today? I'm not happy about the predicted low for tonight but I'm looking forward to next week's weather.
So cute. That last one is the best. It looks like it's saying "what in the world are you doing?"
Just for you Chickiebaby! Just sold these little guys & am having withdrawal. Good News: They went to the perfect home & more are hatching soon!!!

Ok so far I've noticed one thing that's different between the CornX vs layers....
Can you guess what it is???

THEY EAT A LOT MORE!!!!!!
lau.gif
oh goodness, yes. Just wait! they grow at a very high rate.
With hold feed at about 3 weeks, 12 hours on. 12 off. They will literally eat them selves to a heart attack! They can be free ranged, will lay eggs and those chicks will hatch. I have a 3 year old CX named lilX, biggest eggs I have ever seen from a chicken. I free ranged all of mine so they grew a bit slower, processed all at about 10 weeks. Had a few that were over 8 pounds dressed weight! They are fun to raise, but its a lot more cleaning with them too. We will be doing more this summer once my seasonal birds stop laying.

Newbie to the forum AND chickies, currently the owner of two RIRs and one Ameracana. ISO silkie girls if anyone in the Clarksville/southern indiana area can help me out
big_smile.png
welcome-byc.gif
and our thread
frow.gif

Hello, does anyone in Indiana raise BCM? I am from Chicago and am in search of some BCM pullets.

@ellymayRans does, lovely birds.
Back home again in Indiana. After living in another state for 12 years we came home. Anyone else in Madison County?
Me! Pendleton here,
welcome-byc.gif
and our thread
frow.gif

First big hatch of the year today! Have salmon faverolles, heritage barred rocks, cuckoo silkies, and partridge silkies! Had two BBS Silkie eggs that were sent as extras that hatched as well. Just a few more eggs left to go before I get the final count! Next week I have white silkie/showgirls and mottled orps! I can't remember what else is in there due next week lol.
lau.gif
me either, I keep a spreadsheet or would be nuts!

Picked up my first of three Boer does I'll be getting in the next couple weeks!
She is 8 months old.

She has such a nice straight back on her looks like a mini little beef steer lol.

Looks like an excellent doe, very good choice for breeding!
My son got sick last Thurs/Fri & shared it with the rest of us. Mon-Wed night was a dreadful time! Imagine a household with an energetic 4 yr old boy, a miserable vomiting kid with high fever, and no functioning adult. DH & I could barely move during & after this stomach bug. On a positive note, our 4 yr old learned how to make his own sandwiches and our caring neighbor dropped off meds & Gatorade outside our door.

Glad to be back to normal!

• jchny2000-
  • So sorry about the tragic loss of your fav animals. Glad you're getting surveillance! & Hope the trouble-makers get what's coming.
  • browncow15
  • Do you know it's worms b/c of the obvious worm in the poo pic or is it b/c of the color?

Thanks
The search for silkies continues...thanks everyone for your responses and pms:love

Check with @kabhyper1 or @bradselig there is a few other silkie keepers on our thread also. Member list is at the bottom of my post, and it has info of who breeds what. Hope that helps.

I'm afraid I've been absent for a while. Not much has been going on lately, although I did get two Welsummer chicks to hatch on the 21st. One boy and one girl, very cute....and loud, they get our two cats into a hungry mood. I've been avoiding the local farmstores because they all have tub loads of chicks and I have horrible self control
tongue.png
Luckily my parents are very firm on the No More Chicks Rule.

Seeing as it is still under 50°f here I've been waiting for sun shine and warmth to start renovating the soon to be chicken coop. Hopefully my poor hens will last. I have three very eager roosters who have pulled one too many feathers for my comfort. So, I've got to separate them for a bit, so feathers can regrow.

To all the new people: Welcome! Glad to see new people.
frow.gif
great to see you!

I haven't been this excited for some time!! Lol! Not in a weird way mind you...but I just for the very first time witnessed my IB pair mating! I didn't think she even liked him! Lol!

They free range and she's been raising 2 young ones. So funny... He was displaying and next thing I knew he was mating her...then the 2 young white (both boys) stood there watching and then started displaying! What a great day! wink.png

Of course No beeping camera!!!
That's awesome news! Hope she will be laying soon. Are any of your flock 2 years old yet, if so you may be getting eggs anytime
love.gif

Picture spam time! Got to spend a few moments out in the coop with the older chicks this morning :D Chicks are either 8 or 7 weeks old (both ages present, and wow, what a difference one week makes :D )

All were sexed as pullets, but I'm having doubts about the SLW because it looks like she might be getting white wing patches.

The mostly white one was supposed to be an EE pullet, but I'm sure he's a roo with those wing patches and that hot pink comb. My GL Wyandotte has a single comb :( (crossing my fingers that it's a girl).

Tried to get a pic of the broody Black Swedish, but it's difficult to acquire. This is the second time she's gone broody since I got her in August '14. Not even one hatched last time, but I've got higher hopes because it's no longer December.

Here's another EE that was supposed to be a girl (they were all supposed to be pullets). Not sure about ti any more. It's the great chameleon chicken because it's always changing colors. At first, it's breast was feathering in black with cream lacing, and it was barred across the wings. Now it's mostly white on the breast and the patterns have all faded to randomness. No clue what the chicks going to look like as an adult because it changes every week. Comb isn't any picker than the other girls, and it has very round hackles and a very stiff tail.

Also not sure about the Brahmas. Both have round hackles, were supposed to be pullets, very little color to their combs, but one has stiff tail feathers and the other doesn't.

And here's my Wellies! They're both turning into gorgeous, mild-mannered chickens :D Their the quietest birds in the whole flock right now. Shy, but not particularly afraid of anything either. My boy's started clucking when he finds teats for the girls, and he's getting gypsy and beetle sheens on his tail :D He's so handsome. Oh, and he's just started to get flaming orange saddle feathers!

They are all adorable!

Greetings, everyone!

Sorry if I am hijacking any conversations, but I figured this would be a good place to post about my desire to acquire a good broody hen.

I live about 25 minutes east of Indianapolis and am looking for a couple proven broody hens. Age, breed and laying ability aren't important. I just want a couple devoted mommas. They don't have to be broody just now. Small preference for non-evil broodies.
smile.png
Please feel free to private message with anything you would be willing to offer. Include price and location in your response. Really hoping someone can help me! I've already tried craigslist and facebook.
Welcome and good luck on your search!

I'm in need of just a few White Leghorns that are laying, or getting ready to lay. I don't need chicks, as I have 24 that are 10 days old. I also have 15 Isa Browns that are 10 months old and have been laying all winter, but I just need some white eggs.
Rex
Welcome! Good luck on your search.

Good evening fellow chicken lovers!!!! Today was a wonderful day....
wee.gif
Got my silkie eggs in the mail from @kabhyper1 , thanks for the extras and the surprise egg. Can't wait to see the awesome colors I might get.
pop.gif
The next few weeks is going to be rough, all the waiting..
caf.gif
But alas I have some of my own babies hatching this weekend and next for the Easter hatch along, so I have plenty to keep me busy.

Now I need y'alls help. I just got an assortment of baby chicks last weekend and I need help figuring out what this one is. I'm thinking polish, because it has slate colored legs and a small top knot and a funny beak, but the coloring is throwing me off. What do you guys think?
Silver laced for sure! Not enough crest for a polish, interested as to what this baby is!

Quote:
@pbirdhaven any thoughts? love the lil crest on this baby
love.gif

Quote: It snowed hard here but most is gone already. next 2 days is nasty cold then improves.

Quote:
I do feed a lot of corn in the winter, most of it is what I grow here. We ran out early, so am doubling our planting this year. I have found fermenting it makes it easier to digest and consume for most of my flock. I also feed live mealworms ro add protein, and sprouts during the winter to keep my birds healthier.
Quote: X2! I grew up in lake co IN, lived there about 33 years so I know it lingers around the great lakes a lot longer.
Usually by mothers day, its spring and all of winter is gone up there. I was putting a garden in by the second week of may for sure
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom