INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

My aunt acquired a pair a while back and she's not supposed to have roos. I'm guessing she thought since he's so small he wouldn't be an issue but he's crowing and she can't have that. Soo..I told her I would ask here if anyone is looking for a young sweet couple.

They are just about a year old.
Henrietta just started laying this spring and lays just about daily.

This is her boy Hank.

She adores them but can't keep the boy and prefers they stay together.

Anyone in the market for a banty pair of Silver Laced Seabrights? PM me

Thanks!

I'm moving some out this weekend! only part I hate with moving chickens is teaching them to go in the coops at night.

These did great today. The only birds we have issues with is the darn Turkeys!! They don't ever go in by themselves at night. They will sleep all together in a ball right outside the coop door lol..

I let the poults I got from @racinchickins do some free ranging today and they stayed put. Now catching them was another story! Lol!

Fast flighty things!! Hahaha! Once I got 1 back in the pen the rest were a bit easier...but not by much!

They are doing great though and mix great with the the rest of my flock. Peas, ducks, chickens, cats and dog! ;)

Let our barnyard mix chicks out of the grow out pen to freerange today!!! They are liking the fresh grass and freedom. None of them have ventured out to far lol

I started my lavender chicks on free range a few days ago, they are loving it! Not really chicks, most are 12 weeks and older lol. Have a nice blue EE cockerel I kept thats looking real good.
New birds on the block! Barred Rocks. This roo is massive already!

droolin.gif
WOW nice roo! Keep me in mind when you start getting eggs.

And here he is next to my partridge brahma. The brahma is not small by any means, either!
Thats impressive, how old are both roos?

My aunt acquired a pair a while back and she's not supposed to have roos. I'm guessing she thought since he's so small he wouldn't be an issue but he's crowing and she can't have that. Soo..I told her I would ask here if anyone is looking for a young sweet couple.

They are just about a year old.
Henrietta just started laying this spring and lays just about daily.

This is her boy Hank.

She adores them but can't keep the boy and prefers they stay together.

Anyone in the market for a banty pair of Silver Laced Seabrights? PM me

Thanks!

Wish I had room for more bantams, I love the silver colors. I had gold laced and really enjoyed the breed.

Last edited:
I started my lavender chicks on free range a few days ago, they are loving it! Not really chicks, most are 12 weeks and older lol. Have a nice blue EE cockerel I kept thats looking real good.
:drool WOW nice roo! Keep me in mind when you start getting eggs.

Thats impressive, how old are both roos?
they are both 1 yr old. Brahma roo was hatched May of 2014. I'm not sure the exact hatch date of the barred rock.

DH let our Biele babies out in the chicken yard today for the first time. They had a great time. We had to wait until they were big enough not to slip through the deer fence! In the evening, 8 of the 9 put themselves to bed, too. They are such smart, easy going little things. I can't tell them apart for squat, though, not even the two pullets that were really small as chicks. Only the two cockerels stand out, and they are still about the same size as the pullets (maybe a little heavier).

Still, I'd be bored if that's all I had. I'm still trying to figure out additional Orp colors I can introduce by adding just one roo here, or one hen there (it's not hard, really).

If anyone has a LF Chocolate English Orp cockerel or roo, I'm looking for one. Exactly one. I don't want work up a bantam to LF size. I responded to a couple of Craigslist ads, but no reply, and usually people are prompt if they still have any. PM me if you have one or a suggestion where to look nearby.

Thanks!

Hello Hoosiers I've resently hatched my first batch of chicks maybe a week after I got their parents maybe a bad idea some were born with odd feet or legs like one is double jointed and some have curled toes now I'm not sure it they need special care or not and I'd hate to have to take them to auction they probably would be slaughtered I take them out side and they get along well the one that is double joint is so cute he or she sometimes walks like an Egyptian and has fooled the other chicks when they were play by going sideways or back words can anyone tell me if he or they will need special needs and if they do would anyone like to take that responsabity I'm not experienced enough to deal with that yet
Welcome daskhan!
welcome-byc.gif
There are two links at the bottom of my post to find out more about our great Indiana Thread!

As I understand it, auctions, swap meets, etc. are closed because of the avian flu. I hope that you can help the chicks or find someone to help them because they'll probably just get worse. This site has helpful info about foot and leg problems. Poultry Podiatry - PoultryPedia When I first got chickens three years ago, I felt inadequate about dealing with any medical issues, but I found that I had to dive right in and learn as much as I could. There are many types of injuries and illnesses that can happen to chickens, and you know what they say-- the more knowledge and experience you get, the more confident you'll feel. We are here to help if you need tips or encouragement.
smile.png

Love the photos from the past few days! @pginsber 's mama and babies, @DuckiesGarden 's little silver fluff, @ellymayRans 's black and white beauties and @chickiebaby1 's photo shoot of lots of varieties (don't forget, everyone, to please name breeds for those of us who can't keep them all straight! lol)
Great photo @bradselig
!
Originally Posted by bradselig

For the people who have never seen a baby quail in person I think this picture helps understand the size difference. Quail next to a bantam cochin. Both are same age!

Biosecurity
Btw, when my air conditioner guy came over for the spring check-up the other day, I had him spray his boots and his booties with Lysol! Luckily, he grew up with chickens and was familiar with the current avian flu problem, so he didn't think I was totally nuts!

My IB Peahen is back to laying. The kids came in with 2 eggs they found in the front flower bed. Now question is why those boys were in my flowers!?!?! Haha!

3 total. I will be setting them this weekend.

My lone Peachick is still doing wonderful and it is getting spoiled as expected! Everyone in the house gets "her" out and loves and chills with her on the couch. My 5 year old went to kiss her and it grabbed his eyelid!! Yikes! That freaked me out but as all curious birds it goes for my fingernails and rings..luckily it doesn't hurt and it's not doing it to be mean.

Back
Top Bottom