INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Lots of life events going with my Mom, not able to be on the thread much of late. She will have her heart valve replaced Tuesday, everything's been approved. Next 3 weeks, at least I won't be on here much but am trying to read PMs. Really trying to catch any posts that could be a bad situation for the poster too, if someone else hasn't replied.
Want to say welcome to any one new that's joined our thread! We are not limited to just talking about chickens. There's members that keep horses, rabbits, bees, goats, sheep, cows, alpaca, other poultry, waterfowl and a lot more! We only ask to keep discussions "family clean" as we welcome young adults to join in too. BYC also asks us to keep conversations respectful, as its a family oriented website. If you just need to rant or shout out, we are here for you too! So don't worry about being out of context here unless its not acceptable topic for BYC.

Last call, Please, PM only if interested. All birds have to be picked up here in Pendleton, I can't leave my mom home alone to meet up. I am downsizing some of my EE flock, and may have 1 quad available, or 2 trios. They are exceptionally hardy, good layer hens and non aggressive roosters. Some Brahma hens. All the birds I am offering are less than a year old. Also have a few Sumatra roosters left, and a few splash wyandotte roos. Siver appleyard drake, 2 Rouen drakes and some Muscovy drakes.Scovys are pied, lavender, black ripple or blacks. Will be processing any remaining birds this weekend we don't intend to keep over the winter.

My blues do lay dark eggs also. Granted I have a few blacks that lay darker. So much so I can't tell most of them apart other than the blues have more dark spots. If you're just going for the olive eggs though you will get nice olive color from them. Do you have any pics of them?

Pics of the birds or the eggs? I don't have either but I could get some of the birds later. I don't think my blue girl is laying right now so no pics of her eggs :)

I will have Black Copper Marans Cockerals in the spring. I have 32 hatched in the last few weeks.. Will be ready to cut some from the breeding program in the spring :D

I may be interested, if I don't lose my more of my hens! I'll PM you!

I've had a hawk take out two of my hens in the last two days :( the bird it got yesterday was one of my 3 CCLs I was going to use for my olive egger project! To say I'm frustrated is putting it mildly. I've had a horrible time with predators this year!

Pics of the birds or the eggs? I don't have either but I could get some of the birds later. I don't think my blue girl is laying right now so no pics of her eggs :)
I may be interested, if I don't lose my more of my hens! I'll PM you!

I've had a hawk take out two of my hens in the last two days :( the bird it got yesterday was one of my 3 CCLs I was going to use for my olive egger project! To say I'm frustrated is putting it mildly. I've had a horrible time with predators this year!

I have been a hatching fool! I have 9 Black Copper Marans from an import line and 10 Legbars (I have spare Legbar Roos). I have 3 LP BCM and 11 more eggs in a staggered hatch. Just hatched 22 BCM from a breeder in Tennessee who is getting REALLY DARK eggs. I also have Ameraucana and Breese eggs in the incubator! Lol hoping to keep my brooders full and be DONE by New Years :D

I have been a hatching fool! I have 9 Black Copper Marans from an import line and 10 Legbars (I have spare Legbar Roos). I have 3 LP BCM and 11 more eggs in a staggered hatch. Just hatched 22 BCM from a breeder in Tennessee who is getting REALLY DARK eggs. I also have Ameraucana and Breese eggs in the incubator! Lol hoping to keep my brooders full and be DONE by New Years
big_smile.png
How (or where) do you raise chicks in the winter? When I only had 4 chicks, I had no problem with them in the family room for 3.5 weeks. When I had 6 chicks, they stayed inside for 3 weeks, but they over-stayed their welcome. When I hatched 12 or more, I was ready to move them to the garage before the end of their 2nd week. So dusty!

Do you have a heated area outside, several very large brooders, or even a small building dedicated to chicks? I'm just curious.

How (or where) do you raise chicks in the winter?  When I only had 4 chicks, I had no problem with them in the family room for 3.5 weeks.  When I had 6 chicks, they stayed inside for 3 weeks, but they over-stayed their welcome.  When I hatched 12 or more, I was ready to move them to the garage before the end of their 2nd week. So dusty!

Do you have a heated area outside, several very large brooders, or even a small building dedicated to chicks?  I'm just curious.  

I have a room in the basement. I transition them to the tack room in the barn as soon as they can go out with a heat lamp ( it's not drafty in there) then out to a stall with a large panel heater. Or at least that's the plan... So far I've been lucky as its not gotten that cold but this 22 chick hatch is the largest one I've had. They are all shipped eggs so my track record has been bad, until this one!

Quote: If I can make a suggestion, I'd cover that treadmill and anything else hard to dust. I have brooded chicks over the winter and within the first 2 weeks they will creat a thin layer of dust but by week 3 the dust will be in every crevice and such. Also store that chick food outside in the freezing temps, otherwise the humidity from the chicks and the toasty temps might lead to grain mites.

If I can make a suggestion, I'd cover that treadmill and anything else hard to dust.  I have brooded chicks over the winter and within the first 2 weeks they will creat a thin layer of dust but by week 3 the dust will be in every crevice and such.  Also store that chick food outside in the freezing temps, otherwise the humidity from the chicks and the toasty temps might lead to grain mites.

Thank you! The treadmill obviously does not get used much but I will cover things... This is my first year with inside chicks.

Thank you! The treadmill obviously does not get used much but I will cover things... This is my first year with inside chicks.
I don't know if you have ever worked in construction or had a remodeling job done, but if you have, you know that sanding the drywall is a very dusty day on the job. Well these little chicks will be just as dusty everyday if not more. Its afun job to raise them and the children sure do learn a lot about hte chicks. But dust and humidity are the two issues I see with having no chicken items in the same room. Electronics especially.

Back
Top Bottom