INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Steel day!

also i have a question almost everyday while driving home through the long country roads i see these rather large flocks of turkeys walking through the woods or different farmers feilds... rarely in the same spot so im assuming these are wild turkeys... now the question is i know its illegal to hunt them unless its turkey season but what about capture for raising or breeding purpouses?

Not even kind of legal.

It would be considered harassment of wildlife.

The state's turkey aren't a seed population for your domestic flock.

Ok stupid question I might have already asked.. To feed in the rain or not to... Ok I go out side to feed my dumb dumbs.. And they all come out screaming like ****** off parents... And they wait around in the rain and eat... In the rain.. Refuse to eat when food is placed inside the coops.. Now I feel like these dumb dumbs will get sick if this continues to happen so I think let's wait till rain stops.. One dumb dumb stands in rain looking like a drinched cat but that's better then all of them looking like drinched cats.. Oh I can't wait for my covered runs already lol you ever see a wet Rhode Island Red stair you down as you drive by to go to the store what an evil lil look they give
I have always been able to keep the food dry, and even if the chickens are wet, they still eat and are fine. It is usually just the top feathers that get wet and the inner fluff is still dry and keeping them warm. I think as long as the food is dry, the chickens are fine. If they get lethargic and start to sit really close together for warmth, then you would want to see about getting them a dry spot to stay in.

Here is a picture of my hens helping my husband remove a tree stump. They worked for several hours and they finally removed the stump. If anyone needs weeds, grass, flowers, or tree stumps removed call me I'll send my girls right over.
Haha, looks like they're doing a great job at it, too! Look at the difference on the two sides of the fence! :lol:
A little over an hour ago my peas made a commotion honking and carrying on. I went out and found my white male like this! I can only assume an owl as a ground predator couldn't reach him. The bleeding has stopped but he has puncture wounds on his neck, a patch gone on his head and nose bleeding. I'm surprised it hit so early and with us right here with living room lights and such. He seems like he is going to be ok but a large area of his neck is raw.
Oh my goodness, how scary! Do you have a coop for them or anywhere you can put them at night that might be a bit more predator proof?
[COLOR=8B4513]2016 has been so depressing. I've followed biosecurity, continually educated myself and have done so much for my chickens, but I feel like there are so many detrimental organisms out there that it's kind of hopeless. It's the bad luck of the draw.[/COLOR] [COLOR=8B4513]I do plan to implement more preventative care like vitamins, etc. that many of you have mentioned. I'm just hoping that my five girls stay healthy. They've all been doing well. Bonbon has been the one I've worried about, but she seems to have pepped up. I've gotten rid of most of the deep litter and plan to switch to coarse sand/small pebbles to avoid dust and microorganisms. I first need an 80+ degree sunny day, so I can clean their coop with the Virkon S disinfectant that I recently purchased. I need to be able to power wash it and get the coop dry before they go back in. If things are going well later on, I would like to add a few more flock members. After having Screech and Lacy, I want at least one Cochin—small or large. It's so nice when a chicken runs up to me and wants me to pick it up! They're so fun and interactive—like, "Oh boy, what are we going to do now?!" and they're sweet—"Hold me, pet me like a cat."[/COLOR]
:hugs I totally understand, I went through the same in 2015. Seemed like everything went wrong, between predators and illness and fighting with birds for months to get them better only to lose them anyway... If you ever need to vent, let me know, I get it. Also, I agree on Cochins, I adore them and can't wait to get more. It's been a couple years since I had one, but they're amazing--almost as much so as Dorkings. ;)
Steel day!
Nice!! :thumbsup

Are y'all sick of the babies yet? :oops: I meant to post this last night, but decided against it based on the topic at hand... But the babies all have names now! These are yesterday's pictures, but here they are:

The first born is Marka, the Persian word for 'Chicken'. I chose this name in particular because it's related to the name Margaret, which is their mama's name. :D

The second born is named Bennie, as I posted before, named after his father, Reuben.

The third born is named Indigo for his dark color. :love

The last born is Winter, named for his silvery-white color in person, and for the season they were hatched in, believe it or not!

And here they are getting settled in for bed last night. Winty had already tucked away under mama, so this is Marka, Indi, and Bennie (who is being a squirt again in this picture :rolleyes: ).

I am curious to find out what recipes you all like to make when you have an abundance of eggs? Egg salad? Yellow cake? Angel food cake? Deviled eggs?

also i have a question almost everyday while driving home through the long country roads i see these rather large flocks of turkeys walking through the woods or different farmers feilds... rarely in the same spot so im assuming these are wild turkeys... now the question is i know its illegal to hunt them unless its turkey season but what about capture for raising or breeding purpouses?
Yes most likely they are wild turkeys, we have Eastern Wild turkeys in these parts. There is a season for hunting them in the Spring and again in the Fall in which you need a hunting license. I don't know about legalities but I'm sure there are special permits etc needed for keeping them captive,

I am curious to find out what recipes you all like to make when you have an abundance of eggs? Egg salad? Yellow cake? Angel food cake? Deviled eggs?
Brownies!! :drool This is the best recipe for brownies ever: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...reat-brownie-recipe-and-it-uses-a-lot-of-eggs Double it--trust me!!--and that's 8 eggs used at once. (P.S. I use butter, not margarine.) Muffins and cakes, too! Basically, a lot of desserts. :lol: Also, look up quiches and breakfast casseroles! And, of course, there's always pancakes and eierkuchen (German puff pancakes!). :p I have an egg recipe notebook that I keep it all written down in just in case. We're usually drowning in eggs by mid-summer, so I usually dig it out for use then. I'm also going to freeze some extra eggs again for the wintertime, so that'll take up a lot.

Yes most likely they are wild turkeys, we have Eastern Wild turkeys in these parts.  There is a season for hunting them in the Spring and again in the Fall in which you need a hunting license.  I don't know about legalities but I'm sure there are special permits etc needed for keeping them captive,

I was basically asking because I've been thinking about getting into keeping turkeys but don't want the industries unhealthy none native species but I'd like to try local and maybe to preserve the breed.. Rather then go off of the others

Back
Top Bottom