INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Oh, and the second part of my question, should the eggs not be hatched if I just wormed all my poultry?

I gave them Strike III, (Hygromycin B) which is mixed into their food. One pack was to be mixed with 50lbs of normal food. It will probably take my flock one week to finish all the food on their feeder, they started on Saturday. The package said to wait 3 days to butcher (which I'm not) but didn't mention how long to discard eggs.

So I don't plan to eat or sell any eggs for the next 3 weeks or so. I didn't know if there was a problem with hatching eggs while they are on the wormer?

Any experience here?

Thanks!
I don't think it will hurt at all to try to hatch them.

The chicks are still hatching but I moved some into the Peck N Play brooder last night. I must say they are a very quiet & content bunch. Because eggs are still hatching, I can't say that we slept well, but I can say that loud chick peeping didn't keep anyone awake. The heating pad warmer is also working well. It will take a little for me to get used to, though. When I walk by, the brooder is quiet & I don't see chicks. (They're all snuggled inside the cave like in the pic below.) However, when I put my hand into the brooder, they all come running out to greet me.

Ok so since there was so much response to my ignorant question I don't really feel like quoting everyone I greatly apologize if I offended anyone.. I come from a state that almost everything is extent(exaduration) and I never kept turkeys never really thought about it before, and only wanted to do good... I don't kill my animals I only breed them for preservation and to help others find them.. My turkey thought was just a whim because I thought they were in trouble(guess not) and if it was up to me and no offense again if I were to ever get a hunting liscence I'd prefer to be able to capture it rather then kill it because in my mind i would be saving the animal. If later on I get the whim again to think about helping a turkey population out I'll research else were before asking my stupid questions here so as to not offend anyone..

Ok so since there was so much response to my ignorant question I don't really feel like quoting everyone I greatly apologize if I offended anyone.. I come from a state that almost everything is extent(exaduration) and I never kept turkeys never really thought about it before, and only wanted to do good... I don't kill my animals I only breed them for preservation and to help others find them.. My turkey thought was just a whim because I thought they were in trouble(guess not) and if it was up to me and no offense again if I were to ever get a hunting liscence I'd prefer to be able to capture it rather then kill it because in my mind i would be saving the animal. If later on I get the whim again to think about helping a turkey population out I'll research else were before asking my stupid questions here so as to not offend anyone..
Takeaways:

Regarding stupid questions and offending us:
1. There is nothing wrong with asking questions, even ones that seem "stupid".
2, Chances are, the stupider that question seems, the more it really needs a response
3. Stupid questions can still get you a lot of really smart advice
2. Better to get a wealth of responses than not get any responses. If you don't receive responses, that means we're all fine with you doing something stupid, don't care about you, or don't care enough to respond, if we even read the post. Lots of responses means the opposite: we care about you and your question (and turkeys!).
3. Better to ask a question than think everything's kosher and do something illegal and possibly wind up fined or in jail. You have a family to think about, and we're trying to look out for you.
4. Better to ask the question than waste your resources protecting something that does not need your patronage

Regarding turkeys:
1. Turkeys aren't for everyone
2. Wild turkeys are not necessarily any better, easier to care for, more resistant to diseases, or even tastier than their domestic counterparts
3. Wild turkeys, matter of fact, tend to be mean little baznastards in captivity
4. They do not need you (and you certainly don't need them)
5. Capturing them is illegal, raising them might be legal with a permit, and hunting is only legal in some circumstances
6. Sweeter, tastier, more exotically colored, historically significant, and probably just as intelligent varieties of domesticated turkey need your help!
7. You like exotic, endangered chicken breeds and have invested an enormous amount of time and capital into said breeds. You wanted to help wild turkeys under the mistaken belief that they needed your help. Well, I've given you a list of alternatives that actually need your help. There are many historical breeds which require dedicated attention from professional breeders.

Some "breeds" are just color morphs. Some of those color morphs have been around a very, very long time and many are only now coming back due to dedicated breeders with a knowledge of genetics. Examples include some of the buff patterns, the spotted (not currently available in the US--only confirmed specimens are in Australia, last I heard), and the tricolor "sweetgrass", the Oregon Gray (went extinct in the 1990's but dedicated fanciers have brought back the phenotype), the Regal Red (almost extinct). The self-buff color actually had to be brought back through skilled breeders because it went extinct by 1915.

Some of these breeds have been around for centuries, however, and for historical value alone, they should be preserved. These include the Chocolate, the Slate, the Auburn, the Beltsville Small White, the White Holland, the Jersey Buff.

American Livestock Conservancy Turkey page

I would love to be able to dedicate myself to turkey husbandry, but I likely have M.g. in the flock now, and unfortunately, whatever this bug is, it strikes turkeys the hardest. Maybe after Indy Rezone (I'm not some privileged rural person with a ton of space for these critters), I might be able to bring myself to cull everything here and start over with clean birds that I can professionally breed and sell. Of all the poultry I've kept so far, turkeys have been by far the most heartwarming and rewarding, and thus they are also the most heartbreaking cases when something doesn't work out. Whenever I'm able, you can bet I'll jump at the chance to help the species by increasing its genetic variation and preserving some of the most vulnerable breeds.

As a side project, I'd love to make bantam turkeys for personality, beauty and egg production so I can *hopefully* increase the spread of the species appeal by showing people what excellent, beautiful pets they can be. The larger sizes of turkey tend to have decreased life expectancy and greater risks of some particularly horrible health problems. Bigger turkeys just aren't as portable or easy to treat as smaller ones, and they don't tend to live as long, unfortunately.

I'm just a turkey person, like that; I'm in love. Turkeys have very interesting, individual, quirky, variable, complicated personalities--much like with dogs, cats, and geese. They have fascinating vocalizations and behavior patterns. If you want a dinosaur in your yard and don't have the space for emus, turkeys can be your babies. If you want an animal with immense cultural and historical significance, turkeys can be your babies. They can bring a lot to your farm--beyond even their incredible eggs (best I've tasted by far) and meat (since you don't eat but your buyers likely will). They're great gardeners and have historically been used as professional bug-eaters and are especially effective against common garden pests like hornworms. They're great hawk deterrents, and I've found most people are tremendously afraid of them, so they're a pretty good deterrent for trespassers, too. If you're into soccer, toms can play it fairly well, all things considering. They're capable of great affection, too, and have even been used as therapy animals.

But they're not for everyone. They're not chickens, though, and this can't be understated.They're almost universally bigger than chickens, and love to roost in the highest places they can find (which means they're likely to poop on your grill if it's the highest thing they can get to). They're capable of inflicting pretty grievous wounds--to each other, to people, to other kinds of livestock--and certainly have been known to do this, or even kill an animals they consider to be threats. They can be difficult to breed due to size differences between the male and female and likelihood of injuries during mating, and also due to reduced fertility resultant from a decreased gene pool or other genetic problems. They can fly surprisingly well, and you should never take for granted the notion that one can't get off the ground. Most people think they're ugly and stupid and don't want to give these valuable, important, fascinating birds a chance to warm their hearts.

Takeaways: 

Regarding stupid questions and offending us:
1. There is nothing wrong with asking questions, even ones that seem "stupid".
2, Chances are, the stupider that question seems, the more it really needs a response
3. Stupid questions can still get you a lot of really smart advice
2. Better to get a wealth of responses than not get any responses. If you don't receive responses, that means we're all fine with you doing something stupid,  don't care about you, or don't care enough to respond, if we even read the post. Lots of responses means the opposite: we care about you and your question (and turkeys!).
3. Better to ask a question than think everything's kosher and do something illegal and possibly wind up fined or in jail. You have a family to think about, and we're trying to look out for you.
4. Better to ask the question than waste your resources protecting something that does not need your patronage

Regarding turkeys:
1. Turkeys aren't for everyone
2. Wild turkeys are not necessarily any better, easier to care for, more resistant to diseases, or even tastier than their domestic counterparts
3. Wild turkeys, matter of fact, tend to be mean little baznastards in captivity
4. They do not need you (and you certainly don't need them)
5. Capturing them is illegal, raising them might be legal with a permit, and hunting is only legal in some circumstances
6. Sweeter, tastier, more exotically colored, historically significant, and probably just as intelligent varieties of domesticated turkey need your help! 
7. You like exotic, endangered chicken breeds and have invested an enormous amount of time and capital into said breeds. You wanted to help wild turkeys under the mistaken belief that they needed your help. Well, I've given you a list of alternatives that actually need your help. There are many historical breeds which require dedicated attention from professional breeders

Some "breeds" are just color morphs. Some of those color morphs have been around a very, very long time and many are only now coming back due to dedicated breeders with a knowledge of genetics. Examples include some of the buff patterns, the spotted (not currently available in the US--only confirmed specimens are in Australia, last I heard), and the tricolor "sweetgrass", the Oregon Gray (went extinct in the 1990's but dedicated fanciers have brought back the phenotype), the Regal Red (almost extinct). The self-buff color actually had to be brought back through skilled breeders because it went extinct by 1915. 

Some of these breeds have been around for centuries, however, and for historical value alone, they should be preserved. These include the Chocolate, the Slate, the Auburn, the Beltsville Small White, the White Holland, the Jersey Buff. 

American Livestock Conservancy Turkey page

I would love to be able to dedicate myself to turkey husbandry, but I likely have M.g. in the flock now, and unfortunately, whatever this bug is, it strikes turkeys the hardest. Maybe after Indy Rezone (I'm not some privileged rural person with a ton of space for these critters), I might be able to bring myself to cull everything here and start over with clean birds that I can professionally breed and sell. Of all the poultry I've kept so far, turkeys have been by far the most heartwarming and rewarding, and thus they are also the most heartbreaking cases when something doesn't work out. Whenever I'm able, you can bet I'll jump at the chance to help the species by increasing its genetic variation and preserving some of the most vulnerable breeds.

As a side project, I'd love to make bantam turkeys for personality, beauty and egg production so I can *hopefully* increase the spread of the species appeal by showing people what excellent, beautiful pets they can be. The larger sizes of turkey tend to have decreased life expectancy and greater risks of some particularly horrible health problems. Bigger turkeys just aren't as portable or easy to treat as smaller ones, and they don't tend to live as long, unfortunately. 

I'm just a turkey person, like that; I'm in love. Turkeys have very interesting, individual, quirky, variable, complicated personalities--much like with dogs, cats, and geese. They have fascinating vocalizations and behavior patterns.  If you want a dinosaur in your yard and don't have the space for emus, turkeys can be your babies. If you want an animal with immense cultural and historical significance, turkeys can be your babies. They can bring a lot to your farm--beyond even their incredible eggs (best I've tasted by far) and meat (since you don't eat but your buyers likely will). They're great gardeners and have historically been used as professional bug-eaters and are especially effective against common garden pests like hornworms. They're great hawk deterrents, and I've found most people are tremendously afraid of them, so they're a pretty good deterrent for trespassers, too. If you're into soccer, toms can play it fairly well, all things considering. They're capable of great affection, too, and have even been used as therapy animals. 

But they're not for everyone. They're not chickens, though, and this can't be understated.They're almost universally bigger than chickens, and love to roost in the highest places they can find (which means they're likely to poop on your grill if it's the highest thing they can get to). They're capable of inflicting pretty grievous wounds--to each other, to people, to other kinds of livestock--and certainly have been known to do this, or even kill an animals they consider to be threats. They can be difficult to breed due to size differences between the male and female and likelihood of injuries during mating, and also due to reduced fertility resultant from a decreased gene pool or other genetic problems. They can fly surprisingly well, and you should never take for granted the notion that one can't get off the ground. Most people think they're ugly and stupid and don't want to give these valuable, important, fascinating birds a chance to warm their hearts. 

You know after reading this post I almost cried.. I watered up lol at work non the less lol know idea anyone noticed any of that stuff thank you for taking notice.. And aww love you too lol I'm actually in the process of rebuilding all my coops.. I'm switching to a green fire farm copy with tweeks I will take everything you have said into consideration and try to find that breed of turkey that is my match that I can help save.. I've been searching all over to find the chickens for my match this year we will be up to8-10 pens next year we might double that.. Still looking for a second farm/bigger farm to add more breeds to it I've contacted many top line breeders for advice and pointers and I think I'm reaching the point of no longer calling myself a newbie and my wife is accepting the fact they arnt going anywhere.. Baby loves the warmer weather she came outside today for the first long venture outside.. And green fire farms have said I can come back and visit anytime I want shhhhh no one tell them I'm copying their designs lol ... Well when you post pictures online I'm sure you should expect it lol
I'm glad I have my online extended family if anyone is interested in on Facebook more often now with my Kelevra farms page up I'm going to be trying to focus on that as well and remember if anyone needs help with anything feel free to message me I spent 60-70 percent of everyday doing research for myself or someone else.. Turkeys and ducks and rabbits are new ventures for me.... Next are pigs cows and goats lol cows are probably not going to make it past the drawing board but good to know atleast

well we get to take possession of the new place the 16th!!!!
celebrate.gif
2 more days and the WORK begins. Been waiting a long time for this.

As for the question I had about goats being able to eat ginseng and mushrooms, I did google it and got no answer, I found out that deer often eat mushrooms and ginseng is expensive and mostly likes to grow on northern slops. and it takes about 6 years to get it to a good crop size.
I found a large list of poisonous plants... they were all scientific names and way too many to look each one up, it would take me a month to look all those up. I found another list that had the chemical make ups of plants that were poisonous. I'm not a botanist, why cant google just say YES or NO. Simple and to the point!!
he.gif
im not saying you should but i would unless you found something poisonous
@Mother2Hens The certification isn't the same as going through Therapy dog training, that is even more advanced and the dog has to pass a Therapy Dogs International Test test whereas our dog is just going to take the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen test. Therapy dogs have to earn titles in order to be placed in homes. We just wanted him to be able to go into places and visit with people (like hospitals, nursing homes, schools, etc) to help them de-stress and hopefully cheer up. He loves meeting new people and is so sociable.

I watched a cousin's beagle on Saturday and wore them both out. We were outside all day! Fantastic weather.

Spring is in the air here! The bees were out and even collecting pollen from the trees, narcissus and daffodils. If you look at the bee in the lower right, you can see the light yellow pollen she is carrying on her back legs. This is their food, and so grateful they aren't starving so far this year!

The peacock also knows it is spring and has started his mating call. I find him dancing all the time for his lady.

Beautiful PeaCock, bees are a fun hobby I work with my cousins with him sometime very fun
Ok stupid question I might have already asked.. To feed in the rain or not to... Ok I go out side to feed my dumb dumbs.. And they all come out screaming like ****** off parents... And they wait around in the rain and eat... In the rain.. Refuse to eat when food is placed inside the coops.. Now I feel like these dumb dumbs will get sick if this continues to happen so I think let's wait till rain stops.. One dumb dumb stands in rain looking like a drinched cat but that's better then all of them looking like drinched cats.. Oh I can't wait for my covered runs already lol you ever see a wet Rhode Island Red stair you down as you drive by to go to the store what an evil lil look they give
mine free range so they are used to the rain... my girls love being outside in the rain, when i let them out in the morning on a rainy day they dont even go for the food straight to the yard.

I don't have the time at the moment to go back and read posts, but I just had to share this picture! Indi, Marka, and Winter say good night! :love (Bennie's tucked away right behind them, out of sight.)

Busy day again tomorrow. @Indyshent please don't make the drive up, I will be gone all day. Moms Dialysis Fistula is plugged and she is due for bloodwork.
Lost a young goose hen this morning, she HAD to scale the fence to get out. DH found her hit by a car around 5am.. I am just sick over it.. My geese have never got out of the pen at night. now we've lost 2 in a week
hit.gif
.I rarely loose a goose, for any reason. More eager than ever to move them to our pasture. Appears to be the younger goose hens getting out.
7 eggs from my Sumatras coop, wow! They are becoming my best layers for the chicken breeds.
so sorry to hear it, my thoughts are with you!
@jchny2000 I didn't know that food banks took eggs! All great ways to donate eggs.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo I think an egg recipe book is such a great idea! Might have to put one together myself.

Thank you to everyone who helped with ideas to use up extra eggs. Made egg salad last night and I think I will try the brownies this weekend. We sell our large brown eggs most of the time but the little silkie eggs are harder to find a market for.
i think the egg book would be a great idea also i might make one myself!

Back
Top Bottom