INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I wanted to say Thank you again to all of the people here in this group who have helped me out the past 6 months. I greatly appreciate all that this group has done for me. I know I did not get thank you cards sent out but I really really do appreciate every thing that has been done and is being done for me.
And while I miss my birds, I am extremely grateful for those of you that took them to their new homes and for those of you that made turkey dinners of a few. Thank you all very very much.
Hope all is good for you. I think I ended up with some of your birds. They're good girls and we love them.

Finally got the run done today. As nice as the next week is supposed to be I wanted the little ones to be able to get some outside time, let the bigger birds see them, and all that.

They had no interest in actually visiting the big scary outside, but at least the run is done.

Good stuff! Thanks. I found a short piece of 2x6 in the garage that got the waterer up a little. Helped a lot but I may still do the clementine box thing. I did the marble thing for a while but assumed it was just for really small chicks and stopped. Sounds like I may need to put them back in.

As a test for the cup waterer I put it in with them. They definitely drank out of it, but even the bigger chicks couldn't seem to refill the cup. I'll try again in a few weeks. Will try to post a pic of the waterer tomorrow.

@weezerfish

On the screw-in waterers:

I always offer the regular canning jar waterers when they are babies. I've used the screw-in type, but not until they are a little older. You can put them out at the same time as the canning jar waterer and fill the little cups with water. Eventually they'll learn to use them but the babies need a water source that is available at all times when they're new...don't take chances on that.

Raise the waterer up off of ground level. I take a wood "clementine box" (tangerines) and turn it upside down. (Go down to the grocery and get a box full, dump them in a bowl, and proceed! ]

Place a piece of the drawer/shelf liner upside down on top of that- the kind that has the non skid surface on the bottom. Then put the waterer on that. Teach them where it is and they'll hop up there for their drink. No shavings up there to get in it. [I also put the food up on one of those as well.]

I put marbles into the trough of the canning jar waterer when they are tiny chicks. That accomplishes several things including keeping a chick from drowning in it (chicks brooded under lights will often fall asleep wherever they are - even near waterers.) [I purchased lead-free marbles online. The regular marbles at the store still have lead in them.] Remove marbles as they get older. My adult birds still drink from those little troughs during the winter.

On the DH....

I remember someone on the forum that thought it meant "Dumb Husband" (or....) for the longest time. She thought everyone was disrespectful until she figured it out!

gig.gif

If anybody in the Fort Wayne area is looking to buy vinyl roof panels, Lowes on Illinois has clear 12'x3' panels on clearance for $13 each! Think the white ones are the same price. Went to buy some 8 footers ($17 each)not knowing about the clearance and ended up kicking myself for not taking the trailer. Could have saved me $40 on my coop roof!

If anybody in the Fort Wayne area is looking to buy vinyl roof panels, Lowes on Illinois has clear 12'x3' panels on clearance for $13 each!  Think the white ones are the same price.  Went to buy some 8 footers ($17 each)not knowing about the clearance and ended up kicking myself for not taking the trailer.  Could have saved me $40 on my coop roof!

I really want to use them on the new pens and my son is in college in Ft Wayne but if only I could get him to do that for me!!!!! I am going to check locally!

Thanks for the heads up! ;)

Back
Top Bottom