INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I had 6 duck eggs due, 3 have now hatched, 1 dead late, 2 candled and see movement in 1. So we shall see. The 3rd hatch is also the atipico or "dusky" type.
Here are the 2 that graduated out of the bator today.

Oh my goodness!! They are so precious!
love.gif

Quote: Every one of the modulars are built to order usually. I prefer a normally built home, older if I can find it. Some folks are smart enough to go with the better built exterior walls and upgrades. I would want to see it before you commit.

Hello Everyone,

I'd really appreciate some advice from people more experienced than myself. I have now lost two hens and had two others attacked in my yard after 3 years of being able to free range on our property during the day only. We have a great coop and a large run, but I love seeing my hens out an about. Our neighbors have one year old pups that have been coming over to play with our dogs and at first I didn't put it together (I though it was raccoons), but the other day I had to chase them away after they went for one chicken twice and then another day, I had to rescue a hen that was being eaten by them. I got to her in time and she is recovering (although she looks terrible). I've been really nice to the neighbors and have asked them to compromise with me by keeping their dogs somehow contained on their property at least part of the week. They have said that they do not believe in restraining their dogs and that I must chase them off or shoot them with a pellet gun (we only own a 22), in order to train their dogs to stay away. I love their dogs, but should have to keep my hens in the run 100% of the time because they won't keep their dogs put up even part of the time. Also, I'm not sure if it matters, but we have one small dog that runs free too but we have asked each of our neighbors to let us know if he was a problem in any way and are willing to get a wireless fence to keep him home if he is. We have a 130 lb bullmastiff that does not run free because she would make the neighbors uncomfortable because shes huge and a brindle.

What would you do? Thank you in advance.
If anything is eating my chickens, not ok. I go to the owner first. If they wont confine the dog, if it continues to be an issue I shoot it. Its really inconsiderate of them to let the dog run free. Let your Bullmastiff out too, and stop this.

Oh my! Busy busy busy around here! I will have to update everyone of what has happened to us on our farm later, but for now I question about my chick! My chick is almost 2 months old. She has been outside for the past 3 weeks and doing great!! Yesterday I started noticing that something was wrong with her. Her eyes looked gunky...she kept shaking her head and noticed watery substance I'm assuming coming from her eyes fly off. Now she won't open her eyes at all. She has been staying put in our ducks bedding area. I tried cleaning them with warm water a few times already. I also read giving apple cider vinegar so I ran to the store to get some and gave her a little. Not sure what is going on....can anyone help?
Upper respiratory possibly. try oxytetracycline in the water.

Question for those who have peacocks. One of my males has come up missing. I saw him saturday afternoon, as both males were out displaying. Then when we went to close up the pens that evening, no sign. The other male and both females are still accounted for. We looked all over including driving around the local area. Nothing. Not even any feathers. We were on the property all day, and didn't notice any panic among the flock like there would have been if a predator was around. And other than coyotes, we haven't had anything around that could carry off a full grown peacock without at least leaving some evidence.

Have you ever had one just decide to fly away? I would be surprised that he would vacate with two females on site. I never saw any aggression between the males.
I had mine leave a few years ago to live with the neighbor. Its why I wont release the pair I have now. If you are away long they migrate to other people at least in my experience.

lots of stuff yet to do on new coops/runs - sliwer progress in the 81° heat
I am loving the temps but yeah humidity has been awful.

Hello Again!

I can't thank you all enough for the comments about the neighbors' dogs and all the suggestions. I love not only my dogs but actually theirs too. Our one dog that is "free-range" is the first dog I've ever had just roam, but I think we will get a wireless fence for him as well. Now that he's hanging out with theirs, I'm afraid he's going to be a part of the pack mentality thing and go after other neighbors' chickens as well and they will shoot. In our neighborhood, each property has at least 10 acres and many people not only have chickens, ducks, and goats, but they also have guns. I've always been afraid to let Fiona out because some dumb bunny might think she's something to shoot and then ask questions later. I just can't risk her safety. Max the free range dog is clearly a dog and kills raccoons so I've always considered him a plus to the neighborhood.

With the neighbors, I have asked them to pen up their dogs when they are at work only half the week, but that is what they have refused. We have lived here for 10 years and have never had a problem with them and they seem really nice...but unwilling to alter. I'm hoping with some more conversation and a little bit of time they will see my point of view. We are going on a trip in a few weeks and will be gone for quite awhile so the chickens would have stayed in our fort knox-like run for that time anyway. I guess a few more weeks won't hurt. I'm also considering getting collars for their dogs and putting them on a zip line that we have for the dogs when they are here just so I can let my hens out (it was from when our fence was being built). I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that, but I'm going to check into it. If after we get home, there is no improvement, I will have to reconsider my options.

Again, I can't thank you enough for the advice. Just telling someone outside of my house has given me a little more patience on the subject, so you've already helped. ;-) I would have said it sooner, but I'm up to my ears in sick kids, remodeling projects, and chicks transitioning to the coop.

My bullmastiff Fiona playing in our dog yard with their dog Brutus back when I didn't think they would hurt my chickens.

Fiona's great grandma (she was also mine) Grianne (Gron-ya, I didn't name her).

Fiona's great grand-uncle (also mine) Rogan. He was my first baby.

The little fuzzy one on the left is my free-ranger Max. The one on the right is Laney (neighbors) who is very smart, but also has a strong prey drive.

I hope you all have a great day.

Hi y'all,

I haven't had much free time so I've been a little scarce (I come back and there are a hundred pages of backlog! o.o ). Updates:
- I'm now certified to do blood testing for NPIP. I haven't been able to find anyone else who does this, so I don't have any antigen to do the test, nor do I know what people tend to charge for this service, or how to contact people to tell them I can do it. I reached out to Monroe county extension but they have never been very responsive.
- I had a sitting turkey hen taken by coyotes. I put a ring of fence around her because I wanted her to sit where she nested, which was way out by the fence by the woods. I followed a trail of feathers into neighboring property, some chewed up bone fragments, but didn't see blood everywhere. The neighbors dogs will kill the bird and leave it, and I don't think a coon or possum could have done that much damage to such a big bird. I worry I ended up trapping her to her death. The outer fence and fence ring appeared untouched =(

Goose eggs seem to be a flop this year, but I still have fingers crossed.. 2 broody scovies, 2 broody geese and a broody turkey so far.

I built a 'quail palace' for the jumbo coturnix I got from jchny2000. I had some extra rabbit cages lying around, so I made some long runs with access to grass so they can dig and do ground bird things. I feel so bad for the ones on wire floors in the dark barn - soon all the quail will be moved outside to enjoy the weather.

Fixed the mower (new battery). Still trying to get the @#%$*(&* tiller running. Bought a bunch of cool colored keets from http://americanhomesteadinstitute.com to arrive in June. I got some Freedom Ranger chicks from RK to try out meatbirds - these little guys put on weight like its their serious job. I don't know how they'll do on pasture, I hear they can have leg issues - I'll keep posted!

Hope everyone is gearing up for Spring and Summer!!

Yes, the museum was always an annual school field trip as well as the big Bell Labs / Western Electric night. (Basically the private night for all the engineers & their families.) No one ever goes without at least walking by the giant incubator. As a kid I always liked the fairy castle doll house, coal mine tour, submarine, & old town street with movie theater (near the antique dolls & antique car exhibits). I think the antique exhibits are gone, but perhaps a few of the old cars & horse carriages are in a corner of another exhibit.

Glad your son is enjoying science. Also, his creativity will definitely pay off. My DD made a flashlight out of some LEDs, button batteries, craft foam, & colored duct tape. I told her that it looked like a fun science activity. She corrected me & told me it was an art project because she wants to be an artist when she grows up. Likewise DS takes EVERYTHING apart & thankfully he usually puts them back together. (At 18 months, he learned how to pick locks, so his talents could still go either way.) DH is an electrical engineer, so of course DS wants to be professional video game player / streamer. His 2nd career choice = garbage man. He'd get to work with a big truck, sometimes there are cool-looking toys to pick up, and he'd only have to work 1 day a week! Not bad logic for a 6 yr old.

Kids are so much fun!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom