INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Can someone help me understand the plethora of rules and regulations regarding selling eggs in Indiana?  What about selling meat chickens, butchering on my property?

If I apply for a license to sell eggs at a farmers market, can my farm be inspected?  I don't have anything to hide, I just don't think they need to come here and look around.

Thanks

A lot of people sale eggs and farm animals and meat without liscence sir it's the law in your area I don't recommend it but unless your selling large amounts I don't see the need to get a license specially if the cost is going to be higher then the profit

Go ahead and ask experts on the ordinance. Yes, you're looking for 60 ft^2 minimum. It's less than you probably think it is. About 6x10ft, 12x5, that sort of thing. For chickens, it's generally recommended that they have 4sq ft in a coop and 10 sq ft in a run per chicken. this is much better than any bird in a commercial setting will get, and I view it as a minimum for healthy, happy standard chickens. Bantams may want less (but they're often demanding little snots), Pheasants (while only weighing as much as some bantams) demand about 64sq ft per bird from what I've seen (everybody has a different opinion). Geese and turkeys, for instance, will want a lot more space, too, but it's because they're flat huge even more than they are demanding in temperament (though they can be really mean and dangerous when crammed in like sardines).

I'm waiting to hear back from someone on the ordinance. May have to poke him again. And yeah, my brain was picturing something way bigger than 6x10 or something similar.

Can someone help me understand the plethora of rules and regulations regarding selling eggs in Indiana? What about selling meat chickens, butchering on my property?

If I apply for a license to sell eggs at a farmers market, can my farm be inspected? I don't have anything to hide, I just don't think they need to come here and look around.

Thanks
Here's a bunch of helpful info.
http://www.in.gov/isdh/21054.htm

She is the lucky winner to model my first try at a saddle/apron.

I look forward to your captions
1f600.png

Crista.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply I had found them yesterday and left a message hopefully will hear back

Quote: Phone:(574) 831-6267
This is who we also use. Just an update -- they changed owners (same family??) last year so it's now called Roland's Chicken Butchering. Same location but new phone number: 574-354-1246.
Tagging @TheHenHut4U2

Thanks PW for the update.
Didn't realize they had changed phones!

Last edited:
@Leahs Mom Hope you have good luck with your bees this year! Regular inspections can be very fun and will help to keep your hive at its best. We have only done Langstroth so far for a couple of reasons. One, TBH tend to produce a lot of drone comb instead of workers. Two, you are limited in space and how much honey you will get. Where we used to live in northern Indiana, this would be a problem for bees making it through long, cold winters. We spotted a neighbor with a TBH and are hoping to make friends soon. My DH really wants to build a TBH now that we are further south and give it a go.

@Indyshent this is just awful to hear. I about fell out of my chair reading this. My thoughts and prayers are to you and your family. May you get through this time and be stronger for it.

@Mother2Hens I am so sorry for your losses recently. I know you love your hens so much and your flock won't be the same.

@Hholly We currently have 3 pullets that are determined. They sit all together and think they are going to do something.

@mpiownazoo Dinky's in Montgomery often has call ducks. There is an auction every Friday night starting at 6 pm.

@DancingGoatFarm Depending on where you sell your eggs, there are different rules. This doc is insightful right from IN.gov: http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/Farmers_Market_Guide_-_Animal_Products_jan_2013.pdf. Look at pages 3-4.

Weekly Chicken Event Post!

We have many of the 2016 swap meet and auction dates available on the Indiana BYC'ers Events Calendar! Check for the locations on the Indiana BYC'ers Map! I also have each event linked to it's website/Facebook page for additional show details. If you have additional shows or dates/info for Indiana Poultry Breeders Association Show or White River Poultry Club Show, please message me.

Friday, April 29 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, April 30 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, May 1 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN

If you do go, try wearing your official Indiana BYC T-shirt and see if you spot anyone else there! Also, please take pictures to share!

Upcoming Events:

Friday, May 6 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, May 7 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, May 8 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, May 8 - Golden Horseshoe Saddle Club/Knox Swap Meet
---
Friday, May 13 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Friday, May 13 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Saturday, May 14 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, May 15 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
---
Friday, May 20 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Saturday, May 21 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
Sunday, May 21 - Sandcut Trader's Fair in Terre Haute, Indiana - Facebook Page
---
Friday, May 27 - Dinky's Auction Center in Montgomery, Indiana
Friday, May 27 - Veedersburg Barn Sale in Veedersburg, Indiana
Saturday, May 28 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN
Sunday, May 29 - Croy Creek Trader's Fair in Reelsville, IN

**This information does not guarantee the event will happen. Please check the auction or swap meet website/Facebook page to confirm dates/times before you travel!

Back
Top Bottom