INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Photos of the new SFH kiddos... 3 cockerels and 3 pullets I believe. I will likely only keep 1 cockerel. These vary in age from 5-7 weeks.

The boys...the first one will likely stay as his coloring is different than any I've seen before.

The girls

And one "whoopsie" I don't accept crested but this one slipped through undetected. @pipdzipdnreadytogo ...This one won't be excessively crested as not a crest-to-crest breeding.

Last edited:
Quote: I keep a Hampshire Boar and Sow, and have 2 Berkshire sows, one Spot sow. Overall profitable, yes and no.. I sell out fast, but maintaining through the winter is costly also. We pretty much break even right now, and still put a few in our own freezer a year. I do not use a butcher, its all done here as a family group task. I want to know every part of their life is humane, right up to the end. Happy, healthy hogs are petted, talked to and treated well, given treats and shown love. Its also fed my family well the last 4 years, and I know exactly what went into raising those pigs.

How to tell Male from Female in 7-14 day old chicks....
Comments, Please. Has anyone ever noticed this in your hatches? I never knew to look before... just heard about it this spring so now I'm going to have to pay attention. Wondering if this is true or just another "chick legend".

0.jpg

It doesn't work with all breeds, but definitely with the ones I keep. My AM, EE, OE, Orps, WL and Sumatra all feather in this way. That why I always discuss the tail feathers when I sell birds, and usually wait until they are at least a week old. There is also noticeable differences in the wings, boys wings feather in longer.
Hey everyone. Haven't been on for a while. Well, I have browsed the posts, just not posted. So glad I mowed yesterday, it's not a heavy rain, so I may work outside later. Still need to home 3 young pullets. If anyone is interested let me know. By fall they will be food if not.
Hi! Keep posting, hopefully someone can take them.

Quote: Silkies are really tough. I raised them for a year or so and had a really hard time judging.

This week has been rough. The loss of my sweet Cuddles is hitting us hard. Although we knew it was coming, we're still crying.

Not everything is sad, though.
Here's Trouble. She hatched one black orp & I added 2 lav orps the next day. Chicks are 4 days old now.

Can you spot a chick?

Here's a better hint....

All 3 are under her in the above pic, but the black one is peeking out from behind the wing. The black one is kind of thin (can feel the bony keel), so I hope it's eating OK.

I moved the little family into the run - but inside this rabbit cage. It's my way of making sure the other hens don't rip apart the chicks. In a few days, they'll get used to seeing each other & I'll allow some monitored grass time.

sorry about cuddles Faraday, but the new ones sure are cute.
So sitting here trying to find out where my goslings are, why do the post office bother with tracking numbers if they don't update apparently they are still in san jose California. Only hope is that they are in Evansville as the other place that ships to our local post office doesn't have them. Very very nerve wracking.

sorry about cuddles Faraday, but the new ones sure are cute.
So sitting here trying to find out where my goslings are, why do the post office bother with tracking numbers if they don't update apparently they are still in san jose California. Only hope is that they are in Evansville as the other place that ships to our local post office doesn't have them. Very very nerve wracking.

:fl for you! I so hate the stress of waiting for live babies!!

All caught up on the many many posts I had fallen behind in reading.

lots of little critters here for the children to play with and learn about. One of our goats kidded, and the cat had kittens. Spring time is just so perfect for new animals.

Thanks ellymayRans I hate it, waited to call Metzer to get a tracking number which the post office wanted, which hasn't updated since they were in California.
barnie.gif

Finally pulled the duckling out of the bator to get a better look. Oh geez its a doll baby! Not wild type but pied. My first egg laid by my black girl. Note the white dot at one eye. Im pretty sure ive read that an indication of a white head at adulthood.
Momma and Pappa are the black pair.

The adorable offspring! ;)

Hopefully i will have some beautiful peachick pics by the end of the weekend!!!

Back
Top Bottom