INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

jchny2000 and kittydoc I loved seeing all your pics.

Cogburn's son looks just like his Daddy. We love him dearly.... just not enough to give him a decent name. DD started calling him "Mr. Dummy-pants" & it kind of stuck. Poor guy.

To anyone with knowledge of lavender genetics,do you have any idea what color this is?

I have blk/lav split roos & lav orp hens. They should be easy to differentiate, but chick in the middle looks in between.
hu.gif

It also looks different in different lighting.

Pics below show the mystery orp chick between a lav & a black.

Taken with flash - looks like a darker lav

Taken without flash. - looks more like the black

It almost looks like the chick has some white frosted tips on her black fluff
@kittydoc keeps some different colors. I am wondering blue possibly?

jchny2000 and kittydoc I loved seeing all your pics.

Cogburn's son looks just like his Daddy. We love him dearly.... just not enough to give him a decent name. DD started calling him "Mr. Dummy-pants" & it kind of stuck. Poor guy.

To anyone with knowledge of lavender genetics,do you have any idea what color this is?

I have blk/lav split roos & lav orp hens. They should be easy to differentiate, but chick in the middle looks in between.
hu.gif

It also looks different in different lighting.

Pics below show the mystery orp chick between a lav & a black.

Taken with flash - looks like a darker lav

Taken without flash. - looks more like the black

It almost looks like the chick has some white frosted tips on her black fluff

@Faraday40 you absolutely don't have any blue "hiding" in your lavs. It's not a recessive anyway, so it does not hide. What I see is a typical black chick with more white, including the wing tips, and a darker black chick. This year, I have had both "varieties" of black, too. The jet blacks are easy to pick out. Since I DO also have blues, on rare occasion a chick with a lot of white (especially much more on the head or face) turns into a blue, but unless you have a blue yourself, you can't have one. That lineage is rock solid. Most of my first two year's chicks looked like your middle chick. It's just this year that I am getting a few really dark blacks that have full black faces/heads and little white (mostly charcoal gray) necks and bellies. They wind up looking the same once they get adult plumage. The darker ones have fewer if any primary feathers that are white. The lavs and the ones like your middle chick commonly have a few white primaries that they lose when they get adult plumage and I don't worry about either variation.

My blues do this, too. While most have even more white at hatch than your middle black chick (and that's my first sign of blue), I'm not sure if they are blue or not until they get those primary and secondary feathers. Then it's easy to tell black from blue. Some of my blues are also very dark, no white on the head, very little on the body, none on the primary feathers. I suspect they will be darker blues as adults, which is not necessarily a good thing if it muddies up their lacing, but most of my blues are of the "more white" variety on the head than any of my blacks, including a lot around the eyes and tops of their heads even.

So the answer to your question is that both dark ones are black or black split chicks, depending on how you did your breeding. Not blues unless you have blues, and my recollection is that you don't. Blue is an indeterminate gene--one copy gets you blue, two copies gets you splash (though I have yet to get a single splash out of my blue pen!). Black is BB, blue is Bb, splash is bb. I can't remember the gene designation for lav offhand, but it's a classic recessive gene. The only sign I ever see occasionally in a black split is lighter eye color, more yellow or light brown than the dark brown that is desired in a classic pure black Orp.

Hope this helps! I am so in love with Cogburn that I will probably bawl for a week if/when he goes. I wish him a long life. He is just such a good boy. I have a blue son of his that I'm testing now to see if he got the lav gene (if so, I can't really use him--but I hope he doesn't because he's much like Cogburn with a better comb and the same wonderful personality). Cog Jr. was never with my lavs prior to a week ago. He has one lav girl and they will live alone until I get enough eggs to set and test. I'm hoping all will be black or blue, but if I get any lavs, at least I'll know and can decide what to do with him.

Last edited:
Just some random photos to post for no real reason! Some of my year-old Bieles. I would like to sell a trio (my roo plus two hens) if anyone is interested. PM me. They were among the birds tested for my NPIP recertification, so they are clear of pullorum and typhoid. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cogburn as a two-year-old, tail still getting more full every year, and still just a dream of a rooster. I wish all my roos were like him! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Two of my three Silver Grey Dorkings from Sand Hill. Pullet in the foreground, cockerel behind her. Unlike Orps, these babies are awesome flyers! I have some hatching eggs in the bator from OK that are seemingly doing well (considering I swore off buying hatching eggs EVER again--Mandy talked me out of it). Hoping for 3-4 more pullets. This color of Dorking autosexes--BONUS!!!! The pullet pretty much looks like she will forever (a little change, but not much). The boys still have a metamorphosis to go through but are clearly different from the pullets. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Bitties and more bitties! Lavs and chocs and cuckoos. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My three English blues that should all be pullets. They're 7 weeks and the combs are still yellow and the wattles just pale pink streaks. A black cockerel their age was very obviously male. I also have a fourth blue that is a gender bender. I don't know what it is, but I'm keeping it until I figure it out. I'd hate to cull a pullet, even if it's a rooish one. It's a couple of weeks younger and not shown, but every other day I go back and forth on what gender it is. All I know is it's BIG but it acts more like a pullet now. Hopefully I'll see some direction in a couple of weeks. That's it! Just hadn't been on much lately. Been busy and sick a lot. Waiting for the ****** government to decide whether they'll approve my disability. My appeal was 6 weeks ago and I should have heard by now. I think that means it was sent out for medical review, which could also be good or bad, but at least I did not get a quick 4 week smackdown. I used to be able to do all the chicken jobs, but now all I do is handle chicks in the house and garage until they go outside. Jay takes care of all the adults unless they need to be looked at from a veterinary standpoint. Please keep your fingers crossed and/or send up a prayer for me that I win my appeal. I don't know how much longer we can hold out on no income from my end, and I feel really bad about not holding up my end. For those of you who don't know, I've had 5 back surgeries. :barnie
Wow cogburn is stunning! Is that his name or breed? Loved all your pics!

@Leahs Mom & everyone, a couple of my favorite photos from the wedding. I have to admit my face was red from randomly crying for no reason, lol.. My little girl is such a beautiful young woman! Here is a few pic's: My 3 daughters! DH the proud dad and his baby girl. Oh yes she had killer high heels on! Lastly myself, Cassy, and her birth mother. We are very close and I tell her they look like twins! Nothing special happening with the birds. I have most of my chickens comingled now, will still be hatching EE/OEs and probably Sumatra. I want to add more splash to the flock. Lots of gosling hatching, and the first peachick. Unfortunately it wasn't a strong chick and passed. At least now I know my pair are producing fertile eggs. So monday, instead of taking it easy we decided on a road trip to Albany! I got a text from another farmer that knows I have been searching for a bottle calf. "Mooose" is looking like the name he is getting, but DH doesn't like it lol. He is a one month old Jersey bull! He is so tiny! Dh and I hauled him home in the HHR wagon! About 100 pounds, dehorned, wormed shots etc. Impressive looking lil calf. Fanny my adult Jersey cow comes home tomorrow! I know she will be very excited to see him, she just adored my neighbors calves. If he stays gentle and shows good temperament, he will become my permanent bull. I asked the fella to keep me in mind for a few more calves. First thing I am doing is getting those ear tags off once he trusts us and has time to settle in. There are other methods of herd identification that are more humane, and don't pose a risk of injury or infection. I despise ear tags.
such a beautiful family!

Well when your Oegb hoards your bantam EE and her daughter who is EE and polish's eggs, fathered by your bantam black cochin roo, you have no idea what is going to come out of little green eggs. I put them under a silkie who had more coverage for 10 eggs, and last night they started hatching. They have feathered legs and feet, and look just like cochin chicks, but they came out of green eggs. So, we will see how these little boogers grow out. :) They will be available if anyone wants some. Im going to let them grow out some before they go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two of my three Silver Grey Dorkings from Sand Hill. Pullet in the foreground, cockerel behind her. Unlike Orps, these babies are awesome flyers! I have some hatching eggs in the bator from OK that are seemingly doing well (considering I swore off buying hatching eggs EVER again--Mandy talked me out of it). Hoping for 3-4 more pullets. This color of Dorking autosexes--BONUS!!!! The pullet pretty much looks like she will forever (a little change, but not much). The boys still have a metamorphosis to go through but are clearly different from the pullets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got 6 Rose Comb Red Dorkings from the same order. They are getting big enough to sex now too. Looks like 4 boys and 2 girls. That should work out well for me as I'm just wanting them for a project.

Back
Top Bottom