INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Sorry, I didn't mean to hit reply....anyways...I have a small flock of 3 different sets and I allowed them to free range around 3 months of age. I know this isn't what you asked as I don't work, I'm always home but mine do pretty well. I'm outside A LOT and they start out by always watching where I am and following me around alot. Eventually they wander farther and farther from me but look for me/run to me when they are nervous. Unfortunately, I lost one to a hawk last year, it seemed to only bump her but hard enough I think she died of shock. By the time they are 6 months, I have been known to run errands if need be without putting them away. We had a big problem with dogs running around last year so it was a CONSTANT effort to patrol and run off dogs (the owner said if I don't want to deal with free roaming dogs to movensure into city limits). The hawks, fox, racoon, coyotes, cats, and whatever else wasn't as difficult to monitor as those pesky dogs!
By 6 months of age I was impressed with how well my girls had monitored their environment and how well and quickly they were finding cover until I got to them.

I have 3 d'uccles, (2 boys one girl). I have been reading up on their breed and they seem true to what I have read regarding the way they prefer to be roosted high. They are almost 5 months old and sweet IF I can catch them. We have to net them every night to put them in their pen area, they refuse to go in their coop. I had my hopes set on her becoming broody and raising babies for us but my concern and question is this...will she teach chicks to stay roosted and to avoid us? My barred rocks and RIRs absolutely LOVE us, they don't enjoy being picked up but will certainly allow it without any fuss. They follow us everywhere and come running when we come outside. They even enjoy our guests on the very limited times we have any. The d'uncles concern me with how much time they stay perched up on their pen. I have even resorted to putting food and water up high on hot days because they just werent coming down. I would love to hen raise babies but I want them to be friendly and active in the yard. I would be grateful for any input

@jchny2000 Ohhhh! If you have chocolate barred Orpingtons available next year, I would love some! I am in Noblesville. If you could remember me and let me know when the correct timing approaches, please send a PM. And I will check back with you in the early spring.

Pinning is a natural move that all birds respect, and is part of flock dominance. When a bird makes an aggressive act, grab them. Either hold them several minutes until they stop struggling, or pin them to the ground. Of course don't harm them, just restrain. All family members need to learn this if you intend on a single rooster.

@jchny2000
I do the pinning as well. That's part of the other things I do to help train when needed.

I also used pinning when I started letting the young Buckeyes mingle (supervised) with the older SFH (a 5-6 week age difference). I used this with male and female. When one of the sfh would get aggressive toward the babies, I would pin them and hold for a minute or so. Firmly saying "NO. Those are MY babies" [of course they understood exactly what I was saying
lau.gif
]

Anyhow, even at a young age of 9 weeks or so the boys struggled way more than the girls but I would keep them down until they quit struggling. Seemed to work quite well. They even got to the point that they would look over at me just before they would attempt to terrorize one of the little ones and they knew what to expect. Just like toddlers they would test the limits....Sometimes they would proceed and sometimes they'd think better of it. After having me pin consistently, they just pretty much quit the terrorizing altogether.

I should define "terrorizing"... By that, I mean just going after them for no good reason just because they exist.

I'm not referring to the normal sharing of feed, etc., squabbles. The younger ones learn to stay out of the elder's way in that area.

Definitely post a photo! If you don't have any mature roosters, its possible she is just the dominant hen. If you do, then yes, she may be both.. it happens sometimes in chickens. I have had a couple hens in the past that were just that dominating over the flock too."

[/IMG]
Here are a few pics of the bird.
I will try to get video of it "mating" later today. I do have my dominant rooster, Elvis. He did the rooster dance to this chicken after he caught it getting on the silkie.

Last edited:
Okay, had to post about my babies again today. Mom and I were out getting some chicken time in this morning and little Donnie, at just 6 weeks and 2 days old, emitted this strangled peeping noise that scared the poo out of the poor Silkie fuzzies that were standing by the fence. :lol: Don's already crowing!

Not my youngest crower, but it sure surprised me, anyway. :D

I let the 13 wk olds pen open this afternoon when I got home and stayed out reading (and napping) to see how it would go.

Went pretty well. I think I need to reduce down the back perimeter before I let them out much, however. I have electronetting and it is opened up to about 1 acre. I was working on expanding that as the goat boys do their job clearing the understory in the woods. Each time I move the goat boys back the chickens get more space to run that has become cleared enough that they can move in and enjoy it without fear of predators hiding in the brush.

But I think I'll bring it back up just to include their small chicken "forest" that's close to the barn (Probably about 1/3 acre). It will be a bit of a restriction on the 5 hens that are used to more space to roam, but it will be a good "training ground" for the young'uns.

Still won't let them out without several times of my supervision and being assured that they know how to get back in and to safe hiding in the little forest. But I think if I reduce the area they'll learn pretty quickly.

Okay, had to post about my babies again today. Mom and I were out getting some chicken time in this morning and little Donnie, at just 6 weeks and 2 days old, emitted this strangled peeping noise that scared the poo out of the poor Silkie fuzzies that were standing by the fence.
lol.png
Don's already crowing!

Not my youngest crower, but it sure surprised me, anyway.
big_smile.png

If I remember right...weren't your birds sold as pullets when you got them?
ep.gif

I have one that was crowing young too. 3 roos in that batch and now 2 are crowing regularly but it's pretty pitiful :p

@kittydoc I raise bantam Cochin and am actually gathering eggs for another BYC member. They are black and my roo is frizzled.

I am growing out 2 chicks in hopes they are girls to pair with my roo I hatched last spring and they are the Mille Fluer pattern.
Beautiful birds but if all goes as planned I will be hatching more next spring.

If you have an interest in the black let me know and I will gather some for you after I've got my previous order filled.

Quote: I have a similar situation, I retired when my parents health began to decline. I have not worked for 6 years, just do meal prep, transportation and regular household stuff for my parents. We added on and built a second home for us, and moved over here. Anyways, it really helps with flock management to be able to watch when you put the younger birds out. During the summer, I have a constant rotation of hatching so all my birds are used to new flock members. I watch for any outwardly aggressive actions and pin the bird. If it continues, they go to "jail" (a dog crate in solitary confinement) for 2 weeks. 3rd time in solitary, the bird leaves for good.

This neighbor allowing his dogs to run loose is breaking the law. If his dogs ever injure or kill any of your birds, he is liable for the damages. Living in the country doesn't mean its ok to be an irresponsible pet owner. Thats a HUGE peeve for me. A neighbors 2 dogs killed one a my bottle goats, and went after my dad several years ago. The officer that came out told me, shoot them! Dad found the dog with the tiny goat, and threw rocks from the driveway to drive them off!

I have 3 d'uccles, (2 boys one girl). I have been reading up on their breed and they seem true to what I have read regarding the way they prefer to be roosted high. They are almost 5 months old and sweet IF I can catch them. We have to net them every night to put them in their pen area, they refuse to go in their coop. I had my hopes set on her becoming broody and raising babies for us but my concern and question is this...will she teach chicks to stay roosted and to avoid us? My barred rocks and RIRs absolutely LOVE us, they don't enjoy being picked up but will certainly allow it without any fuss. They follow us everywhere and come running when we come outside. They even enjoy our guests on the very limited times we have any. The d'uncles concern me with how much time they stay perched up on their pen. I have even resorted to putting food and water up high on hot days because they just werent coming down. I would love to hen raise babies but I want them to be friendly and active in the yard. I would be grateful for any input

Treats! Lots of treats and use a call for them like "here, chicky" every time you offer the treats. Mealworms, watermelon or other fruits. Once you catch them, trim a wing only one, and that will prevent hiding in the trees.
@jchny2000 Ohhhh! If you have chocolate barred Orpingtons available next year, I would love some! I am in Noblesville. If you could remember me and let me know when the correct timing approaches, please send a PM. And I will check back with you in the early spring.
I will put you on next years list. @kittydoc is also keeping them, she may have some available now.

Quote: Good post. It certainly establishes you as the flock leader, and also stops the bullying from older birds.

Quote: Love your Turkens! Yep thats a hen. Has Elvis been able to do his job with her? In other words does she allow it...

Okay, had to post about my babies again today. Mom and I were out getting some chicken time in this morning and little Donnie, at just 6 weeks and 2 days old, emitted this strangled peeping noise that scared the poo out of the poor Silkie fuzzies that were standing by the fence.
lol.png
Don's already crowing!

Not my youngest crower, but it sure surprised me, anyway.
big_smile.png
He is gorgeous! YAY on the crow!

Back
Top Bottom