INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@LOTR2283 Welcome to the Indiana Thread! Please read about our great group here: Indiana BYCers Members' Page

@oldrooster ~ Good to see your post!

@wheezy50 ~ Good to see you back, too!

Still catching up on older posts...I'm afraid I'll miss something!

@ellymayRans ~ I read the post about Janet's interest in an Emu, and you posted info... Didn't you try to hatch one last year? Just wondering (nosey) where the egg came from.
The frizzle girls are doing very well, and I keep wanting to post about them, but run out of time.

I could take it home. Right now I have no chickens in my coop - that's a long sad story. But I don't really want to adopt a random bird. But I really don't know what else to do besides call animal control, and I can't imagine they'll do anything but put it down anyway. So I'm not sure how to proceed.
@hoosiercheetah Hope that story ended well. I thought I'd mention our Animal Control and the Humane Society have a contact person when they have a chicken to rehome. Hopefully, other cities are doing the same. A couple of years ago, the woman did a program at a library about backyard chicken raising. She mentioned that she was the contact person and that typically she rescued people's Easter chicks after they grew too big to be "toys."
@Faraday40 You take the best action shots of chickens! I agree with @Leahs Mom —Trouble looks like she's doing a burlesque feather fan dance.

@Leahs Mom ~ Re Bees, @atrueb00 /Amy raises bees. She hasn't checked in for a while on the thread, but I planned to contact her soon because she worked on some of our Indiana page that I am updating. I'm sure she would be happy if you PMd her. She put this link on our Indiana page: Indiana Beekeeping School and Association
Btw, your RIR hen is beautiful!

This is a Rhode Island Red (rose comb). All hatcheries that sell "Rhode Island Reds" are actually Production Reds, which are a mix of something else. The hatcheries are responsible for muddying the true identity of what really is a RIR. True RIRs are only available from breeders.

@Leahs Mom ~ Re Bees, @atrueb00 /Amy raises bees. She hasn't checked in for a while on the thread, but I planned to contact her soon because she worked on some of our Indiana page that I am updating. I'm sure she would be happy if you PMd her. She put this link on our Indiana page: Indiana Beekeeping School and Association
Btw, your RIR hen is beautiful!
We do have 3 hives currently-hoping they make it through the winter. Happy to answer/help with honeybee questions.
wee.gif

@JanetMarie

Yep....I refer to that red girl as a "hatchery red". I just can't make myself call her a RIR..... :)

But I do have some breeder quality Buckeyes :) (Here are a couple of them when they were about 3 mos old. Don't have any updated yet.

@Leahs Mom If I were to breed a red colored bird it would be the Buckeye. I love the winter hardy waddles. I had a RIR rooster who dipped his waddles in the water dish in the winter at zero degrees in the barn, so he came in the house and stayed the rest of the winter.

Last edited:
@JanetMarie
Do you have an incubator over there? I don't own an incubator. Maybe I could collect some Buckeye eggs and we could work something out where you incubate some for me and keep some for yourself....

I'm not very excited about having a lot of red birds. But maybe I'd sneak in a few other breeds too....
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom