INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@ellymayRans ~ Sad to read about the hungry coyote—more predator problems. Mother Nature's system of animals having to worry about predators is not very motherly! I'm sure you are so frustrated. I would also hate not letting my birds free range. Hopefully, you can try solar electric fencing like @Leahs Mom suggested. Maybe you could rotate flocks to free range. I'm sure you've already thought of all possibilities. I just wish I could help! Here's something to make you smile...

My Frizzle darlings that I got from you finally moved to the coop! It was hard on me, especially because I loved having them in their basement suite. I knew they needed to get on a normal sleep schedule so they would lay eggs (they're laying!) The girls were used to staying up to around 9:00 pm and sleeping in as long as they wanted. As a result of their move and egg laying (I assume), The Frizzles who formerly were almost conjoined twins, sadly became unlinked. Boa, the larger one, started pecking Tutu away from her at night. Poor little Tutu has been sleeping alone in a nesting box. Made me very sad. They still hang together during the day, though, because double-size is better when flocking with the big girls! They all get along, but I hate Mother Nature's system of The Pecking Order! Haha The hens know that I don't like it, so they try to behave when I'm around. They don't like my stern look and finger pointing. Kindergarteners are what they act like.

Roadrunner is svelte enough to slip up and into her perch that formerly belonged to the infamous flock leader (rip) Nene. When Nene christened that perch, I added some foam to make it more comfy for her feet. Since earlier this year one of my chickens unfortunately snacked on some foam and eventually died despite veterinarian care, the perches that are covered now have padding covered with black duct tape or blue paint tape. So far, so good. The sleeping lounge part of the coop used to have a half wall, half door, but they never liked being "cooped up," so we removed the wall on the right side. The open door on the left serves as Roadrunner's perch.

My fluffy Orps from @kittydoc ~ Hadley and Mocha compete for Flock Leader Lacey's favor. Hadley has the edge. Zipporah doesn't care enough and enjoys her own perch. I originally added the diagonal bar in anticipation of The Frizzles, but Smalty claimed it. Despite her size, Smalty still pulls rank over the three big Orps!

I took this photo before Tutu moved to the back. They insisted on sitting on an angled 2X4 support bar, which wasn't roomy enough. So I bought a 9" X 13" wooden box at a craft store and screwed it into the board. Then Boa claimed the "box seats" for herself.

Last week, we lost our 5 yr old barred rock hen. After her first molt, she never got most of her black back. It only came in grey. She stayed pale for about 3/4 years before she passed. RIP Edith.
hit.gif

Before her color loss:

After her color loss:

She was the sweetest, most curious bird. I'd have another barred rock given the chance. We're at the point that we can now add a 4-5 pound pullet/hen or two. I personally would like to have a white egg in the basket, like a leghorn, but DW wants something exotic like deep brown or olive.

Last week, we lost our 5 yr old barred rock hen. After her first molt, she never got most of her black back. It only came in grey. She stayed pale for about 3/4 years before she passed. RIP Edith.
hit.gif

Before her color loss:

After her color loss:

She was the sweetest, most curious bird. I'd have another barred rock given the chance. We're at the point that we can now add a 4-5 pound pullet/hen or two. I personally would like to have a white egg in the basket, like a leghorn, but DW wants something exotic like deep brown or olive.

@pginsberI have a barred chick that is looking like being female. Her father was a Cream Legbar- Easter Egger hybrid, so I believe he had two blue egg genes. Her mother is my barred rock, Jenny. I've been calling this chick Jenny Jr., and I was hoping to grow her out and see if she lays a green egg. I have too many on my "keeper" list, so it would be good for me to have a reason for parting with her. She is 6 weeks old. You can PM me if you think your wife would be interested in her. It would be a light green egg though, not olive.

1f61e.png

the grey was very pretty on your hen

X2! Edith was very pretty with the two shades of black going on there. Sorry for your loss.

My barred rock Jenny is four years old. One of the first hens I ever got, and people always point her out as being the prettiest because of her barring. I thought I was going to lose her a couple of months back because she got crushed by my tom trying to mate her. But she bounced back, and is even laying again!

Pretty proud of this shot. My chicks, now 6 & 7 weeks old, are getting so curious and big!

Some of the 6 weekers still have their fluff so I haven't moved them outside full time yet.
I had them out in the new run last week and my two hens were soooo interested (chicken n Waffles more so than the other one)

I'm hoping the weather warms up a bit more so the chicks can move out full time. My boyfriend is very patient with my chicken obsession, but I know he is ready for the chicks to be out of the house!!
1f602.png

Hi Emily,

I'm in Bloomington - and I have all kinds of fertile eggs of mutt types - Jersey giant, blue wheaton, white silkie, cuckoo marans, and naked neck.
I'd be happy to give you a dozen or so if you are ever out this-a-way.

-Carrie

Do you want a broad-breasted specifically? I have 11 as of this weekend that are Narragansett, Royal Palm and Oregon Gray mixes. Heritage birds are pretty fun =)

Back
Top Bottom