INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Study your animals during the eclipse!
Surprising Ways Animals React to Solar Eclipses - National Geographic
Unfortunately, I haven't been on the thread real recently, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this Nat Geo article which describes an app called iNaturalist that has a project called Life Responds: “We created this project that very simply asks people wherever they are—whether they are under totality or partial eclipse—to spend some time outside looking at animals and observing their behavior before, during, and after the eclipse.” Anyway, I downloaded the app and signed up for the project because I am going to report my chickens' behavior.
spider.png

The one lavender chick wandered to the wrong side of the fence and was killed by the puppy while I was treating a different chick that nearly had its eyes pecked out by an unknown assailant.

In happier news, I picked up one of the free silkie roosters from that ad, and then drove to meet @kanina and her husband and two of their pullets. I can't remember the the buff's name, but I remember the Australorp's name is Elsa, so I keep defaulting to calling her sister Anna (which is actually a fitting name because she's so sweet and outgoing!)

The silkie rooster was named Lynel, as a more mature version of "Lion-O" from Thundercats, which I thought was hilarious. Going to have to get some nice pictures of them. He's a neat color--mostly a creamy whitish folor, but with buff in his tail and hackles. Very pretty boy.

Wish me luck and do be pray, if you're so inclined. Going back to IUPUI tomorrow. Signed up for 14 credit hours and really hoping I can keep it up. I'm nowhere near 100% still, even eight months after the concussion and still having erratic speech and motor issues.

I don't have a phone but I'll be sure to write down their reactions and post on here!
My dog is going to go nuts. She is scared of the dark.. 3 years ago this power transformer right outside my bedroom window exploded! All power went out and it was late at night. My dog started screaming! I mean screaming! Sounded like something was killing her. I had this light up pillow pet thing and used it as a flashlight! My dog kept pawing at it every time it went out and she would start screaming again! Never knew of a dog scared of the dark till my dog came along.. She won't even use to bathroom outside at night without a flashlight shining on her.

Hello everyone, I am new to BYC and to chickens in general. I just bought a house on an acre and want to get chickens. I was curious if anyone here has any experience or advice on applying to the Fortville Town Council for an exception to the town's ordinance against chickens.

I actually just watched a YouTube video uploaded August 15th, 2017 of a Man having 13 chickens living in Fortville, Indiana. He had a big fenced in backyard and neighbors on both sides of his house. His coop and run was all the way in the back of his yard as far as possible from the neighbors houses. If he has chickens I assume you can too? Have you checked your chickens laws for your area?
Do you have neighbors close by?
If possible you could try "hiding" your coop and run. If neighbors do see it and can't hear your chickens, then having them shouldn't be a problem. I had a neighbor who had chickens next door to me at my old house. I never knew he had them till we decided to tear down our old wooden fence and put up a new one. He was using our wooden fence as a wall on his coop and run... He had a lot of chickens too. The area we were in only allowed 4 hens. He had well over 4. Our other side neighbor was a cop and he seen the chickens when we tore down that side of the fence. He made a big deal out of our neighbor having chickens even though he couldn't even tell the guy had them! We felt very bad about exposing our neighbors chickens and tearing down a part of our fence that was his coop's wall. So we built him a completely new coop that could be towed by a truck. And we bought him a variety of new chickens to replace the ones he had to "get rid of". (The man with chickens was an elderly man around 70's-80's who's wife passed away the year before, and those chickens were very meaningful to her. It broke the mans heart having to say good bye to his chickens)
I don't think it's right for people to tell us how many chickens we can have. I feel as long as they have proper housing and enough space per bird then they should be aloud to have as many as they want.
The old man ended up giving all of his chickens to us about 6 months after we moved away. Reason why is because he got very ill and ended up passing away 1 month after giving us his chickens.

Hello everyone, I am new to BYC and to chickens in general. I just bought a house on an acre and want to get chickens. I was curious if anyone here has any experience or advice on applying to the Fortville Town Council for an exception to the town's ordinance against chickens.

Last edited:
@Nyla Do you remember the channel name? I would be interested to see it. Technically the town ordinance prohibits poultry of any kind in town, but it outlines a process of applying for an exception.

I will try checking my history so I can find it, but I watched it early this morning around 2 am.. Me and my 1 year old son watch youtube. -mainly badanamu-
If I find it again I'll post it on here for you!
Have you tried just walking into your Town hall and asking someone about it?

Study your animals during the eclipse!
Surprising Ways Animals React to Solar Eclipses - National Geographic
Unfortunately, I haven't been on the thread real recently, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this Nat Geo article which describes an app called iNaturalist that has a project called Life Responds: “We created this project that very simply asks people wherever they are—whether they are under totality or partial eclipse—to spend some time outside looking at animals and observing their behavior before, during, and after the eclipse.” Anyway, I downloaded the app and signed up for the project because I am going to report my chickens' behavior.
View attachment 1116663
My flock went to roost...

The one lavender chick wandered to the wrong side of the fence and was killed by the puppy while I was treating a different chick that nearly had its eyes pecked out by an unknown assailant.

In happier news, I picked up one of the free silkie roosters from that ad, and then drove to meet @kanina and her husband and two of their pullets. I can't remember the the buff's name, but I remember the Australorp's name is Elsa, so I keep defaulting to calling her sister Anna (which is actually a fitting name because she's so sweet and outgoing!)

The silkie rooster was named Lynel, as a more mature version of "Lion-O" from Thundercats, which I thought was hilarious. Going to have to get some nice pictures of them. He's a neat color--mostly a creamy whitish folor, but with buff in his tail and hackles. Very pretty boy.

Wish me luck and do be pray, if you're so inclined. Going back to IUPUI tomorrow. Signed up for 14 credit hours and really hoping I can keep it up. I'm nowhere near 100% still, even eight months after the concussion and still having erratic speech and motor issues.
Best wishes to you, prayer offered.

Back
Top Bottom