INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

There is a 11 month old Female Border Collie Red and white listed as $300 on CL. But owner said they would re-home her for $200. Sadly she is located in Newcastle, IN. Their reason for re-homing her is that they don't have the time fore her anymore. LINK
00u0u_7HXzKUZxTZp_600x450.jpg 0506_1.jpg

Everyone I'd Like You To Meet Soon To Be Sirius.
(Sirius is an excellent name to bestow on your son. Also called the Dog Star, Sirius is the brightest star in the sky. So your boy will always be radiating and shining wherever he goes. It’s also the name of the XM satellite radio.)

So I found this handsome boy on CL. I couldn't resist him! He looks so sad and scared and mistreated...... I just have to save him! Owner wanted $400, talked them down to $300! He is so called "pure" bred Border Collie but doesn't have papers! As you can see in the picture, they are tugging his leash basically choking him. It's saddening and makes me mad! He is about 1 hour away but worth the drive! I soon will have this handsome boy as mine! Oh and owner claims he is 4 months old but he looks older. Doesn't he?
View attachment 1378863 View attachment 1378864
He is handsome. It looks like they have him hooked up to the fence. :(

Those Border collies are so cute!

Are Border Collies good with poultry? I remember when looking for a dog we read that they were very, very intelligent but can get into a lot of trouble if bored. Back then, we were looking for an easy to train, family-friendly dog. We found 2 dumb, but obedient mutts. (Lab x Great Dane and a Boxer x pitbull x mastiff(?) They are wonderful but 11 and 10 years old. The 11 yr old lab/dane is barely walking and the 10 yr old has had cancer for the past 2 years. We're in the end days, so for now my focus is keeping them comfortable. In the not so distant future, we'll have to begin a new dog search. I still will want an easy to train, low maintenance, kid friendly, large breed - but now also want one without a strong prey drive. Any breed suggestions?

Do they normally kill their babies?
I've read that 1st time mom's have a tendency to kill their first litter but go on to be great mom's later on.
It could also be she didn't feel safe enough to have them.
Now my good mama is moving her kits out of the box and onto the wire. Sigh. She's put her nest/fur out under them though so they seem to be okay. Maybe it's just too warm In the box?
One did die. I had to bury them. Poor baby.

Border collies are a herding dog - lots of energy especially when young. Individual personalities will be different so possibly trainable for chickens. But...usually a little too high-energy around poultry.

I have seen people use chickens or ducks to teach a herding dog to herd. But not sure if they will be content to just lay around and enjoy a flock if they're not herding. It will be interesting to see how he works around the birds.

Back
Top Bottom