INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

@Faraday40
One pyrex had their food.

The other one has peat moss and some dried herbs for a dust bath.

The brood pen is 6'x6'. Then when they're bigger, they can also use another 6x6 (for a total of 6x12) together. The other pen is dog kennel so they have to be older to add that one. The bottom of it is lined with the plastic chicken fencing so they can't get through the holes. But it is not rat/mouse predator proof, of course. Not that I'm aware of any rats out there but there is always a first time so the 6x6 is hardware cloth with no openings large enough for anything to get in.

Here are some photos from the last time we used it.

View from the back door:
1 chick pen from back.jpg

Long view from the front. You can see the brooder chick pen behind and we're looking through the dog kennel 6x6 that I can open up when they're larger. I got all my kennel pens from craigslist. I just kept a look out for when I could get them for a reasonable price. You can see the green plastic chicken fence lining the bottom. They can be pretty old and still get through chain link. Those are some young SFH in the pen.

1 Pens long-shot.jpg

My husband also made sliding doors so that we could use them for integration. The idea was that we could open them large enough for the littles but too small for adults to get through. We put a temporary hardware cloth panel in the one that opens up so that there was more opportunity for the adults to see the littles..that's the large one at left. The other one slides sideways under the pen door.

2 Two Sliders into Chick Pen.jpg

Hello Indiana byc’ers,
I’m back been a few years but we have moved back to my dads farm. He hasn’t been able to keep it up so me and my brother have been making repairs and preparing to get back into chickens. Just can’t stay away.. went to a local auction and it was just sad the state the chickens were in, I wanted to buy them all just to rehab them.. but the other guy just kept driving the price beyond my means and then offered for them all.. so yeah couldn’t save them I hope he had good intentions for them.. but anywho I take in any and all rehomes we will be buying and selling rare breeds to further the preservation of the breeds and keeping many just for my addictions lol the joy of caring for the lil fluff butts and improving their lives is half of what I live for and family is the other.. I am knowledgeable on just about anything farming, survivalist techniques and I’m a former teacher of history and sports, so if anyone needs help just let me know.

@Faraday40
Glad you saw the cherries before it was too late!

It's been raining a lot here too but I don't think we're getting as much as you and @jchny2000 .

Janet - have you heard anything from @SallyinIndiana?
Yes we had 4 inches or rain in 4 days spread. We needed it and the garden is happy :D.

I haven't spoken to her in several months. She came up late winter to disbud her baby goats, we did them all in one day.

Hello Indiana byc’ers,
I’m back been a few years but we have moved back to my dads farm. He hasn’t been able to keep it up so me and my brother have been making repairs and preparing to get back into chickens. Just can’t stay away.. went to a local auction and it was just sad the state the chickens were in, I wanted to buy them all just to rehab them.. but the other guy just kept driving the price beyond my means and then offered for them all.. so yeah couldn’t save them I hope he had good intentions for them.. but anywho I take in any and all rehomes we will be buying and selling rare breeds to further the preservation of the breeds and keeping many just for my addictions lol the joy of caring for the lil fluff butts and improving their lives is half of what I live for and family is the other.. I am knowledgeable on just about anything farming, survivalist techniques and I’m a former teacher of history and sports, so if anyone needs help just let me know.
Good to see you!

Holding my breath for Pixie's calving! I noticed a huge behavior change, she let me rub her throat and chin today! Pixie is a smaller heifer, and is bottom member of the herd. She has always been timid unlike Dixie. They have different moms but are from the same farm. Dixie is sweet and lovable, but wants to rub her head on you! Those horns hurt, nope not doing that!

Moose our bull and Tron our buck are moved into the old fenced pasture. 2 reasons, rotational grazing, and so the boys don't disturb my girls calving. Any odor of blood sets Moose into very erratic actions. The day we processed the sterile cow, he caught the smell of blood in the air. He began bellowing and stomping, running the fence line. I had my rifle with me all day in case he charged anyone or broke out. He was back to normal the next day, but acted up again when I processed some ducks recently.
My Lavender pied Scovy girl blessed us with 6 ducklings yesterday :loveWill try to get pics all 6 are lavender. Might be a few pied. My drake is also lavender pied so am not surprised. Hoping the black atipico hen goes broody next.

Back
Top Bottom