INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So been super busy. Penny is broody over her nest now. The boys have decided the roof of their shelter is a better perch than shelter. And we have 7 eggs from the chickens! Yay!

Lost willow from a malfunctioning water bottle (one of my buns) but now everyone has bowls and bottles especially with the hotter weather.

And we finally had our wedding ceremony last weekend on Sunday.

Attachments

• received_235200043925303.jpeg
    received_235200043925303.jpeg
    499 KB · Views: 3
  • received_1812485125510946.jpeg
    received_1812485125510946.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 2
  • received_1812485535510905.jpeg
    received_1812485535510905.jpeg
    701.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20180614_175347.jpg
    20180614_175347.jpg
    789.1 KB · Views: 3
  • received_1812494628843329.jpeg
    received_1812494628843329.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 2
So been super busy. Penny is broody over her nest now. The boys have decided the roof of their shelter is a better perch than shelter. And we have 7 eggs from the chickens! Yay!

Lost willow from a malfunctioning water bottle (one of my buns) but now everyone has bowls and bottles especially with the hotter weather.

And we finally had our wedding ceremony last weekend on Sunday.
Congrats! Looks like a fun wedding.
The rooster looks like he was trying to dodge the camera. :lol:

I haven't been on here for awhile, glad to still see several familiar names. Ive been talked into showing my blue orps this year so I need help finding someone to NPIP test my birds before show in Aug. Is there anyone near the Madison county area I can get in touch with?

I'm looking for advice from anyone here who have raised peafowl either currently or in the past.

A family member has peafowl and has tried hatching in an incubator several times in the past with poor results. Chicks would form fully but die before pipping/hatch. So this year he decided to try broody hens. He set his first 5 eggs under her. Then he got 7 more eggs and gave me to put under a couple broodies at my house. Then they kept laying (I think he has 2 peahens) until he had another 7 eggs.

So if all goes well I have 7 set to hopefully hatch this weekend and 7 more 3 weeks down the road. We are going to split any chicks that hatch at my house. I'd really like to keep a couple and sell the rest but I'm thinking I'll need another pen setup.

How big of a pen do they need? I know he said his male's tail is almost 7 ft tall when strutting and drags 6-7 ft behind him on the ground.

Can they free range with chickens? He seems to have trouble with them wandering off and not coming home to roost. I believe he's lost a couple this way.

How old do they need to be to sex? If they roost outside on a barn or on a tree will raccoons attack them? Other predators ? I'm hoping they are large enough to avoid most predators.
Peafowl :barnie ugh is hard. I have had several. If you choose to do them, its dedication 100% and they still die. I have tried chicks and adult birds. Tried penned and free range. @ellymayRans may be able to help. Loved them much like turkeys.

I haven't been on here for awhile, glad to still see several familiar names. Ive been talked into showing my blue orps this year so I need help finding someone to NPIP test my birds before show in Aug. Is there anyone near the Madison county area I can get in touch with?
@kittydoc is certified!

Not much new to report today. Weeding, weeding...going to get mulch and do the "Back to Eden" method next year. The 2 birds going this close to the garden are my oldest Chinese gander Gee, and my precious mother Scovy hen Lilac. Both know I'm tossing weeds out and gobbling them up. I cut off the electric fence and they help. Once the corn develop ears they are out. Muscovy will jump to get the corn and wipe out the garden quick.

Hello,

I am looking to re-home one of my roosters. He is 2 months old. If anyone is interested please let me know. I live in Indianapolis.

Thanks

I like the scruffy before picture better. Is she a Schnoodle?
I know her before is much cuter, but she was so hot the other day that she would only go out for 5 min. So, she needed shaved back to her summer do. We spend a lot of time outdoors.
I have better pics - those are her goofy looks! Ha.
She is actually a goldendoodle.

Back
Top Bottom