INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Sorry to interrupt, but i'm looking for some good New Hampshire breeding stock for 4-H, and the closest breeder is in Kentucky.

And guess what, I got 1st, 2nd, and 3rd at the county fair. But of course i was the only new hamp there.
Not interrupting at all! And congrats at fair, great news!

Hope this isn't offensive, but geez her udders! And you can see the ligaments have disappeared around her tail head.
20180719_170731.jpg
So as of 5 minutes ago, Pixie has still not calved. :thWe are actually on night watch because all the signs are there. Discharge, springing and restless among other signs. Huge udder! Ligaments are down and clearly see pin bones. Dixie is a week older, and she is also showing signs of calving, udder is still small but developing well. This cow Mama is a nervous wreck! And of course we have more rain coming and cool temps. I have the calcium IV solution in case of milk fever ready and waiting. Jersey are a hardy breed, but are more prone to it than others. My vet is aware its "anytime" in case we have a situation we need him.

I love to buy some lavenders off your hands sometime!!
Thanks! I plan to keep everyone this year. I have a black Atipico duck on a nest now, she is also bred from the lavender drake. They are just awesome natural parents. I actually got them from a neighbor kid that had got some from me as a Christmas present lol. We had huge losses last year and about lost all my scovy flock, rebuilt coops and now my trio are rebuilding too. Several of my coops are past repair and needed replaced. We put electric fence on them last fall, and are replacing one at a time.

aCochin3wksEE.jpg
aCochin4wks.jpg
aCochin5wksEE.jpg
aCochin6wks.jpg
aCochin7wks.jpg

Hi everyone! It's so nice to see familiar names and new ones, too. I'm glad that the Indiana Thread that @jchny2000 started six years ago is still very chatty! I've missed everyone, but because I use a computer for my work, I am on the computer for hours every day. I've wanted to post many times after I finished my work, but I've been too tired.

I have a flock of six, four LF and two Bantams. I still have my Flock Leader SLW Lacey and my EE Roadrunner, both 6 years old (I'm proud of that). My 5 year old Silkie, Smalty, had to be put to sleep a couple of months ago, sent her for a necropsy, and she had sepsis from coccidiosis. Originating from @kittydoc, I have 2 year old giant Orps, a Lavender named Hadley and a Chocolate Cuckoo named Mocha. My sweet Chocolate Orp, Zipporah, had to be put to sleep several months ago from ovarian tumors. Last, but not least, are The Frizzles, my 2 year old Black Bantam Cochin Frizzles from @ellymayRans. I am still absolutely crazy about them! They're so adorable and sweet—they love to be picked up, pet, and carried around. I love all my chickens, but The Frizzles are my precious babies!

I also have two chicks that have been in quarantine in my house. I got them at Agrarian, mainly because my oldest daughter is in grad school (Herron - Art Therapy) with an owner, Anne, and I wanted to patronize her business (Well, that was a good story to tell my DH anyway! lol I actually have shopped there many times since they first opened when I've been in Indy). Since I love my Bantam Cochins, I got a LF Partridge Cochin, but it sure looks like a roo—right? Bummer! I also got an EE since my 6 year old EE hasn't laid a beautiful blue egg for several months, and I have to have some blue eggs! I tried to pick out an EE that didn't look like my Roadrunner—just for variation— but her colors kind of changed, and she will look similar. The photos I'm posting are mainly the Cochin to verify that it is a cockerel, so please give your opinions. Thank you!

Last edited:
View attachment 1476169 View attachment 1476170 View attachment 1476171 View attachment 1476172 View attachment 1476173
Hi everyone! It's so nice to see familiar names and new ones, too. I'm glad that the Indiana Thread that @jchny2000 started six years ago is still very chatty! I've missed everyone, but because I use a computer for my work, I am on the computer for hours every day. I've wanted to post many times after I finished my work, but I've been too tired.

I have a flock of six, four LF and two Bantams. I still have my Flock Leader SLW Lacey and my EE Roadrunner, both 6 years old (I'm proud of that). My 5 year old Silkie, Smalty, had to be put to sleep a couple of months ago, sent her for a necropsy, and she had sepsis from coccidiosis. Originating from @kittydoc, I have 2 year old giant Orps, a Lavender named Hadley and a Chocolate Cuckoo named Mocha. My sweet Chocolate Orp, Zipporah, had to be put to sleep several months ago from ovarian tumors. Last, but not least, are The Frizzles, my 2 year old Black Bantam Cochin Frizzles from @ellymayRans. I am still absolutely crazy about them! They're so adorable and sweet—they love to be picked up, pet, and carried around. I love all my chickens, but The Frizzles are my precious babies!

I also have two chicks that have been in quarantine in my house. I got them at Agrarian, mainly because my oldest daughter is in grad school (Herron - Art Therapy) with an owner, Anne, and I wanted to patronize her business (Well, that was a good story to tell my DH anyway! lol I actually have shopped there many times since they first opened when I've been in Indy). Since I love my Bantam Cochins, I got a LF Partridge Cochin, but it sure looks like a roo—right? Bummer! I also got an EE since my 6 year old EE hasn't laid a beautiful blue egg for several months, and I have to have some blue eggs! I tried to pick out an EE that didn't look like my Roadrunner—just for variation— but her colors kind of changed, and she will look similar. The photos I'm posting are mainly the Cochin to verify that it is a cockerel, so please give your opinions. Thank you!
OH MY :yaI am so glad to see you post! I've missed you. Wait a week and see how they look. I do see at least 1 fella. I am so sorry about your losses but we all know its part of it.

Thank you! Yip, I had a feeling early on that the Cochin was a boy. He reminds me of an ostrich—leggy and he often stretches his neck up real tall. I feel certain that the EE is a pullet. They both were supposed to be, but we all know how that goes. I think that Agrarian may have a Barred Rock pullet around a month old to be the EE's buddy. I'll have to find a home for the Cochin, which will be upsetting to break up my two chicks. The Barred Rock pattern is my favorite—it's just such a classic chicken look. I really miss the BR, Tweedy, that I used to have.
And @jchny2000, I hope all goes well with Pixie—and Dixie! I would be a nervous wreck, too, but thankfully you have a veterinarian on call. I'll check in tomorrow!

Hope this isn't offensive, but geez her udders! And you can see the ligaments have disappeared around her tail head.
View attachment 1476107 So as of 5 minutes ago, Pixie has still not calved. :thWe are actually on night watch because all the signs are there. Discharge, springing and restless among other signs. Huge udder! Ligaments are down and clearly see pin bones. Dixie is a week older, and she is also showing signs of calving, udder is still small but developing well. This cow Mama is a nervous wreck! And of course we have more rain coming and cool temps. I have the calcium IV solution in case of milk fever ready and waiting. Jersey are a hardy breed, but are more prone to it than others. My vet is aware its "anytime" in case we have a situation we need him.
Not offensive, but hello cow butt while I am sipping coffee. :caf:eek:
Good luck with the calf!

:frow Not to disagree with what has been said, but...

It's hard to tell from these pictures because they don't have great lighting, but near as I can tell the Partridge Cochin is a pullet. By 7 weeks old, you should be able to see the male and female differences in their feather patterns. Partridge males are darker and have blotchy black appearances, females are uniform in coloration. Stature to me seems typical of a hatchery specimen of the breed. I don't see anything that screams 'cockerel'.

Back
Top Bottom