INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

The good news is that all 3 laced orps look female so far. What luck! I think you have 1 blue silver laced orp & 2 reg silver laced orps, so a nice variety and easy to tell apart. The very dark one is interesting. I can't wait to see how she turns out. I had a male like that & he turned out stunning, but it took several months. You really can't judge lacing until after they go through several of those juvenile molts.

Here's Trouble with her 2 laced orp babies. Your darker one & mine look like twins. (Yes, Trouble's a Sebright & they're orps 2xs her size.... but they're HER babies.)
View attachment 1490333
View attachment 1490335

Your green band Dom could be a late blooming male. Does it have a sort of dark wash on the front of legs? (My female Dom, hatched 3-4-18, had lighter feathers like your 1st 2, but the legs assured me she was a female. She just started laying this week, so I'm finally positive of her gender. LOL) When young Bubbles was so much darker. She had the easy to identify more black than white feathering. As she molts each year, her feathers get more white. This year's Dom has more equal color distribution, so it worried me. Here are pics from June & late July:
View attachment 1490347
View attachment 1490355
.... and one of Bubbles because we just love her:
View attachment 1490365
I got two silver laced Wyandotte and one already has a bright comb at not even 8 weeks so I'm thinking he's a male? Lol

20180802_115444.jpg 20180802_115450.jpg 20180802_115454.jpg 20180802_115701.jpg 20180802_115719.jpg 20180802_115740.jpg 20180802_122302.jpg

@Faraday40
Yes, I think by overall coloring the green and double purple are boys.

So far My observations tell me that the confirmed male is not going to be a keeper by disposition. I imagine he'll be a real "looker", but I want males that are not aggressive toward people and are not mean to the girls. We'll see how it goes.

I'm planning on doing some serious observation of their interactions among themselves.

On the orps...
Knowing your description of the orp males, I wouldn't mind if there was one if I don't keep any of the dom males.

Who knows, may get rid of all the dom males!

The yellow band girl/boy is very friendly and allows me to pick her up. Of course, I handled her the most due to what we've discussed before. The other 2 won't come near unless absolutely necessary.

I have no experience with Dom males, but we love our 2 Dom girls.

If you end up without a good male, I'm sure I could find you a great orp cockerel. (It's more a matter of deciding if it's worth the drive for you.) I already know of 2 people who will need rooster homes. I do my best to help connect them with someone looking for an orp boy - instead of them ending up in a pot.

I cut up some herbs from the garden for the "chicken children" yesterday and today. (7.5 weeks old) They don't have a good protected place (from the adult hens) to be in the grass so I like to give them some fresh greens and herbs from time to time.

Mountain Mint, Oregano, Thyme, Chives, Bee Balm, Sage

2018 8-1 bucket of herbs.jpg

Let's send the big orpie to see what's in there.
2018 8-1 7 wk with herbs.jpg

Hey orpie!!! She's eating it.... Let's dig in!
2018 8-1 7 wk with herbs2.jpg

A pretty little Dominique pullet.
2018 8-1 7 wk pretty dom pullet.jpg

The end.
2018 8-1 the end.jpg

Oh I forgot to share that my sister got a border collie. Her name is Chloe. A nice lady from Fort Wayne gave her to me but Chloe fell in love with my sister the moment we approached her. She now my sister has a forever best friend. Chloe has really brought my sisters self esteem up. My sister no longer keeps to herself, she talks more, comes out of her room more, and exercises more! My sister has been trying to loose weight for a couple years now but only gained more. Since she took in Chloe, she has lost 25lbs! She brought Chloe home on the 4th of July. My sister seems a lot happier now and has a smile on her face almost all the time. It brings joy to see my sister no longer hiding and sad.
Here is Chloe before we got her:
Laying Down.jpg Smiles.jpg
I need to get more pictures of her. She had to be shaved because her fur was extremely matted. Once I get more pictures of her I'll share them!

Back
Top Bottom