INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

So I've text my fella that buys our extra roosters. If he doesn't make arrangements soon I may host a show and tell workshop processing day. I've got 8 extra roosters in 2 pens. Maran, Leghorn and EE roosters. It's free, I like to help others learn. It's very informal. Bring your own rooster or hen. Or buy one of mine very cheap. Its a hands on workshop you can learn to process your own bird.
Hands on means I will help you learn, but I'm not going to do it for you. Send me a PM (personal message) if you are interested. I have 7 spots open so please let me know fairly soon. I'm planning late July.

Garden update. Tomatoes and peppers are trying but I'm not feeling good about it this year. Jalapeno going crazy and the blue berry tiny tomatoes! I quit planting not wasting seed. Its been to wet and now too hot. Planting something was better than nothing at all.
How's your garden doing? Any luck this year?

Livestock update...Cows and goats doing awesome! My Niece Hannah will show Elsa the Hereford Heifer and Daisy May the Jersey Heifer at county fair. Both the heifers are doing very well. So proud of this young lady! She will also show my Mocha our oldest Oberhasli goat doe. This is Mocha's 2nd year at fair. This young lady intends to be a large livestock animal vet. She is going to do it! Cannot say enough how proud I am of her.
Daisy May born on this farm and her mom Pixie:
Daisymay.jpg

We tried a new type of horn management this year. The goats and cows that are horned I plan to go through both of my herds come winter. Its called a Callicrate Bander. Here's a link:
https://callicratebanders.com/
My little Jersey Daisy was not disbudded in time. Dad had health issues going. This worked well for her and she is is still a happy lil girl.
It feels to me to be much less stress on the animal than a traditional hot iron. I cannot stomach the smell and the pain those babies go through burning horns off, I pay someone. :hitI was able to do this with our jersey heifer and there was no pain or stress.
2 of our cow neighbors are already impressed. I'm going to test it on a wether (neutered goat) next. Red has scurs from a bad disbudding and I worry they might grow into his head. Horns have live blood vessels you can't just cut them off without hurting the animal. I will use 2 doses of Tetanus on any of these animals to protect them per my Vet's advice.

Chickens, American Breese are doing great getting huge! 6 Young "Mabel" Barred rocks pullets. Leghorn and Beefy's flock doing well. Beefy's girls aren't laying any more. Leghorn still going strong.

Our tough Sebright (named Trouble) turned 4 years old today. She's been broody and sitting on decorative rock eggs for a couple weeks. I slipped 2 pipped eggs under her this afternoon. One has already hatched, and I'll be gradually loading her up with chicks tomorrow. "Happy Hatch Day, Trouble!" x2

I just peeked in on her:
IMG_8006.JPG

Meanwhile in the incubator....

Our tough Sebright (named Trouble) turned 4 years old today. She's been broody and sitting on decorative rock eggs for a couple weeks. I slipped 2 pipped eggs under her this afternoon. One has already hatched, and I'll be gradually loading her up with chicks tomorrow. "Happy Hatch Day, Trouble!" x2

I just peeked in on her:
View attachment 1832088

Meanwhile in the incubator....
I love your incubator vids... Do they imprint on you when your standing in front of it while they hatch?

I love your incubator vids... Do they imprint on you when your standing in front of it while they hatch?
I think so. They certainly run up to the window to peep at us. The kids & I do all the chicken care, and they do follow us everywhere. I see the imprinting happening over the 1st week & not necessarily at the instant of hatch.

DH is "tolerent" of the flock & perpetual coming & going of chicks. (He also likes the fresh eggs and actually doesn't mind having chickens.) He jokes that we have too many & he's going eat them. I exaggerate and tell him that we've got over 100 chickens. In reality, I'm the only one who can process chickens and our winter number goes down to 10-15 hens.

So when DH passes the incubator & they all run up to him, I point out that he's now their mama. The dog also gets the same reaction.
:lau

I'd love to see a video of your homemade incubator! Do you have a thread on here on how you built it?
I think so. They certainly run up to the window to peep at us. The kids & I do all the chicken care, and they do follow us everywhere. I see the imprinting happening over the 1st week & not necessarily at the instant of hatch.

DH is "tolerent" of the flock & perpetual coming & going of chicks. (He also likes the fresh eggs and actually doesn't mind having chickens.) He jokes that we have too many & he's going eat them. I exaggerate and tell him that we've got over 100 chickens. In reality, I'm the only one who can process chickens and our winter number goes down to 10-15 hens.

So when DH passes the incubator & they all run up to him, I point out that he's now their mama. The dog also gets the same reaction.
:lau

Back
Top Bottom