INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

My broody BCM ( Black Copper Maran) hatched 2 chicks, and promptly ignored them. I am just sick over it. Heard peeping early this morning found one that died, 1 still alive. Hen was dust bathing and didn't care so I took the remaining eggs and the live chick. :mad: Its eyes were matted and very cold. Washed its eyes with a warm rag so it could see.. I put the baby under my shirt to warm it up, and got it under a heat plate. Poor baby died later this afternoon. :(
This Maran hen will not be allowed to brood again. She was from my first round of Maran eggs in January. Lays well but obviously not a good mom at all. I have to try with any of our heritage breeds. it's usually better that a hen raises the chicks but not this time.

Last edited:
My broody BCM ( Black Copper Maran) hatched 2 chicks, and promptly ignored them. I am just sick over it. Heard peeping early this morning found one that died, 1 still alive. Hen was dust bathing and didn't care so I took the remaining eggs and the live chick. :mad: Its eyes were matted and very cold. Washed its eyes with a warm rag so it could see.. I put the baby under my shirt to warm it up, and got it under a heat plate. Poor baby died later this afternoon. :(
This Maran hen will not be allowed to brood again. She was from my first round of Maran eggs in January. Lays well but obviously not a good mom at all. I have to try with any of our heritage breeds. it's usually better that a hen raises the chicks but not this time.
So sorry to hear!! :hugs:hugs

Sweeter Heaters on sale:

Flash Sale!

F8AHA80

LAST CHANCE TO SAVE 15% FOR THE SEASON!

PROMO CODE: SALE

ON OUR WEBSITE ONLY

OFFER EXPIRES 9/30/19

https://www.sweeterheater.com/?utm_...mail&cid=618f1cf2-cd77-4098-a090-ab599abde6de

So far my new duck pen is coming together nicely. Not the prettiest looking, but good with what I have to work with! I have 4 more rolls to put up then roof is complete! I decided to use my plastic shed as a coop. We weren't using it for anything so best idea ever! I just made a slide duck door! Will be adding windows on two sides for ventilation and will be making a wire mesh screen door to replace one of the plastic doors to the shed for more ventilation in the spring-fall. Winter time I will keep the plastic doors on. Super excited to finish the pen and move my ducks in! I currently have then in a small temporary pen for the time being.
20190925_155706.jpg

20190925_155658.jpg

So far my new duck pen is coming together nicely. Not the prettiest looking, but good with what I have to work with! I have 4 more rolls to put up then roof is complete! I decided to use my plastic shed as a coop. We weren't using it for anything so best idea ever! I just made a slide duck door! Will be adding windows on two sides for ventilation and will be making a wire mesh screen door to replace one of the plastic doors to the shed for more ventilation in the spring-fall. Winter time I will keep the plastic doors on. Super excited to finish the pen and move my ducks in! I currently have then in a small temporary pen for the time being.
View attachment 1917849
View attachment 1917850
Looking good if you don't have raccoon problems the chicken wire is ok.

Egg laying has slowed a lot, but my new layers are starting to lay. Found my 1st confirmed Bresse egg tonight. Preparing to introduce my Mabels (Barred rock) pullets to the rooster I've saved back a few months now. He is gorgeous and very well mannered.
Still have 1 Muscovy brooding eggs and hoping for 1 more hatch.
My cow neighbor came down and "bumped" my girls to see who is bred. Of course I still plan to have my vet out to ultrasound but Daisy May and Dixie are definite. Pixie showed obvious sign of heat so our bull is in with her now. Pixie is our cow that will not wean and the calf has to be removed to wean off her. My Hereford girls Elsa appears to be bred but Frosty not so much. Hoping I wasn't duped and find out she is a sterile cow.

We shockingly don't have predictor problems. My Muscovy with her 9 Ducklings have been in a plastic netting make shift pen for about 3 months now with no problems. My border collies come and go all night through their dog door aswell. We are only concerned to keep the Muscovys contained when we aren't home to free range them.
Looking good if you don't have raccoon problems the chicken wire is ok.

Duck Pen is finally done!! Will be moving everyone into the shed coop tonight after I install the two windows on the shed! Here are the pictures of the completed Duck Run!
20190926_154401.jpg
20190926_154434.jpg
20190926_154410.jpg
20190926_154530.jpg
20190926_154508.jpg

And here's another reason why I call my seramas, "my useless chickens" ....

This is what I found in the run this morning. I've seen quail eggs this small, but never a chicken egg. At 1st I thought it was a small pebble. It's only the size of a marble.
:eek:

smallest chicken egg ever.JPG

I have an Orpington from April's hatch but her face is still pale. I know the serama from the May 1st hatch is laying. I also have a red-faced Leghorn from the May 1st hatch who's red-faced, but my guess is the serama made an oppsie.

Sadly, this is my only egg so far today. :(

Back
Top Bottom