INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Congrats on the Mama cow! Looking forward to seeing pictures!
My new calf's Mom is supposed to come later tonight! Cow neighbor had to pick up a load of hay, and is bringing her down after he unloads it. We offered to come up and help. He laughed and said "I have grandsons for that!" I'll share pictures of her tomorrow.[/QUOTE

Surprisingly i'm down 1 egg today too.

Getting 1-3 eggs here, mostly bantam / pullet eggs with the occasional Dorking egg in the mix. One short now, with Ganymede still insisting on trying to brood. :barnie

Hey guys, sry for not getting on in a while. But I was wondering if you guys have seen this with your hens. I have a small hen who is about 1 year old, she’s been fine until today when I found her laying on her side not wanting to move. I checked for broken legs or bumble foot, but nothing. It also isn’t egg binding. Thank you if you know anything!:)

How's she doing after your warm water treatment? Are you giving her additional calcium as well? That can help, too, to stimulate the muscles and move an egg if there is one stuck.

There are some vitamin deficiencies that can cause weakness in the legs as well if it does turn out not to be egg binding. This link summarizes each with some information on how to treat: https://www.tillysnest.com/2014/03/vitamin-deficiencies-in-backyard-chicks-html/

My new calf's Mom is supposed to come later tonight! Cow neighbor had to pick up a load of hay, and is bringing her down after he unloads it. We offered to come up and help. He laughed and said "I have grandsons for that!" I'll share pictures of her tomorrow.

:lol: Hope she's settling in well! :)

Due to predators, my flock has been mostly cooped up. They usually run around a bit each morning while I clean & refill feeders. Then I call them back in & lock them up. Today while I was outside with them, poor Poof Poof (my son's Spitzhauben) was landed on by a hawk. I saw the scuffle & chased the hawk off while Poof Poof ran inside. i collected the rest from their hiding spots & then looked over Poof Poof. The only bloody spot is on her wing. I ran the wing under warm water & parted the feathers to generously spray Blu-kote. Thankfully I saw no wounds on the neck or body and the wing moves normally.

Is there any other care I should give right now? She's friendly but seriously dislikes being confined, so i returned her to the coop/run.

Due to predators, my flock has been mostly cooped up. They usually run around a bit each morning while I clean & refill feeders. Then I call them back in & lock them up. Today while I was outside with them, poor Poof Poof (my son's Spitzhauben) was landed on by a hawk. I saw the scuffle & chased the hawk off while Poof Poof ran inside. i collected the rest from their hiding spots & then looked over Poof Poof. The only bloody spot is on her wing. I ran the wing under warm water & parted the feathers to generously spray Blu-kote. Thankfully I saw no wounds on the neck or body and the wing moves normally.

Is there any other care I should give right now? She's friendly but seriously dislikes being confined, so i returned her to the coop/run.
Oh my scary, thank goodness you were right there. We only seem to have hawk attacks from the little sharp shinned. Its usually the early winter or late spring. They are very bold. Years ago I kept my bantam breeders in XL dog crates inside a shed. I opened it daily and one squeezed through the bars and attacked my frizzle rooster. The guinea flock crowded the shed, I got my fella out and the guineas killed it.
Just watch her close one of my hens died I think the stress and fear of the attack. Its why I stopped keeping bantams.

Back
Top Bottom