INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Its cold out. Dixie will not stay inside a shelter or enclosure, I always worry she is too cold. Calf is doing fantastic, nursing and strong. Curious to see how my birds interact with them. Rooster flock will free range tomorrow. I bet she ignores the roos unless they bother her calf.
Still getting a few eggs from my Bresse and the leghorn.

Oh.. @Andrew10

Was wondering how you determined what the problem was with your hen?

:caf
Thanks @Leahs Mom, I never conclusively determined what was wrong with her. But a concussion seems like the most likely scenario. I don’t think it was mareks or another disease because 1. No other hens have showed any symptoms at all and 2. She didn’t seem to grow worse over the last week she was here. But I don’t know for sure though. Hoping it was simply a concussion, I’ve read what mareks can do to a flock. :fl

My egg numbers are actually increasing! I got 7 eggs today!!!!! I never got this many in December.

I also took a few pics outside. (Only of these 2 pullets because it was about 24'F & I got cold.)

Here's my newest layer, Glow. She hatched April 15th and made her 1st egg on Sat.
img_1342-2-jpg.1979425

She's called Glow because of the way her beautiful feathers glow in the sunlight. (Also, she's a GLO = gold laced orp)
img_1328-2-jpg.1979424

Here's my blue SLO. She's replacing Blizzard, so I'm going to name her something like "Snowflake" or "Flurry."
img_1307-2-jpg.1979428

As she transitions to her adult feathers, she's developing a funny-looking hat.
img_1310-2-jpg.1979429

This expression....... :gig (She reminds me of an Ewok.)
img_1311-2-jpg.1979430

My egg numbers are actually increasing! I got 7 eggs today!!!!! I never got this many in December.

I also took a few pics outside. (Only of these 2 pullets because it was about 24'F & I got cold.)

Here's my newest layer, Glow. She hatched April 15th and made her 1st egg on Sat.
img_1342-2-jpg.1979425

She's called Glow because of the way her beautiful feathers glow in the sunlight. (Also, she's a GLO = gold laced orp)
img_1328-2-jpg.1979424

Here's my blue SLO. She's replacing Blizzard, so I'm going to name her something like "Snowflake" or "Flurry."
img_1307-2-jpg.1979428

img_1310-2-jpg.1979429

img_1311-2-jpg.1979430
That's great news! It's been so dang busy There are evenings I forget to check nest boxes. I would have a lot more if I did I'm sure. When we hit freezing temps over night I lose some.

Last winter I only got 2-3 eggs a day. One was always from Tillie, the Leghorn. That's why I added another Leghorn this year, so I'd get at least 2 eggs per day. LOL Tillie has yet to molt, so she's still laying daily. She looks a mess & really could use a break to grow some new feathers, but I'm grateful for her amazing production.

Currently, I've got 3 orps, 2 Leghorns, 1 spec sussex, and 3 bantams laying. Today it happened that most of these girls decided to lay an egg. It's not like I'm overloaded, but I probably won't have to buy eggs this winter.
:celebrate

I may not continue with the blue and green layers next year, EE & OE. I really enjoy all the colors but they just don't lay in the winter. Same with the BCM very seasonal. One of the lines are rumpless. That can also bring problems I will probably change chicken flocks this spring. I know the Leghorn and Bresse will stay. Thinking hard on my other breeds.

I love those little fluff balls! Thanks for sharing their pics for me!

Perhaps someday I'll add a bantam cochin to my flock. Right now my kids have silkied seramas & they seem to reproduce like Tribbles. (In fact I named one Tribble.) I think I'd get in over my head if we had cochins. My bantam orp Cookie is broody enough, so as long as she's with me, I don't have a need for a cochin. .... That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.
* Of course I LOVE the Cochin shape & appearance, so that's why I need you to keep posting them.

Ah, I understand being hesitant to add more broodiness to the flock! These little munchkins can definitely be persistent little broodies when they want to be, even the smooth-feathered ones! They're also quite screechy whether they're broody or not when they're on the nest. It sounds like Jurassic Park in the coop during the summer. :gig Between them and the Silkies, though, I'd be swimming in chickens if I let them all hatch when they wanted to! :th

Definitely hear you on not needing certain breeds, too. :p The struggle is real...

As for me, well, I'm a big fan of silkied feathering but I've not yet gotten myself set up for getting silkied Seramas of my own, so if you had any pictures of your birds... ;)

Dixie's calf 16 days late! Born at 4pm.
1st calf I've ever had to pull he is a big boy!
img_20191206_160428_01-jpg.1976203

Yay, Dixie!!
cheering.gif

aw shucks.gif
Welcome back! Hope that things at work calm down for you soon! :)

img_1342-2-jpg.1979425

img_1328-2-jpg.1979424

img_1307-2-jpg.1979428

img_1310-2-jpg.1979429

img_1311-2-jpg.1979430

Wow, Glow is very pretty! :love And I'm always a fan of Blue Silver Laced birds!

Last winter I only got 2-3 eggs a day. One was always from Tillie, the Leghorn. That's why I added another Leghorn this year, so I'd get at least 2 eggs per day. LOL Tillie has yet to molt, so she's still laying daily. She looks a mess & really could use a break to grow some new feathers, but I'm grateful for her amazing production.

Currently, I've got 3 orps, 2 Leghorns, 1 spec sussex, and 3 bantams laying. Today it happened that most of these girls decided to lay an egg. It's not like I'm overloaded, but I probably won't have to buy eggs this winter.
:celebrate

That's always good! :) Needless to say, I'm a bit envious, wishing my girls would do the same! Down to one egg most days, sometimes two. :barnie Out of the three girls still laying, one's gone broody again!

Back
Top Bottom