INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I can’t believe it was that bold! Has it gotten any before?
We live in a neighborhood, so the wildlife is VERY bold. I couldn't believe that it didn't fly off when DH banged on the glass. Even when we chase them, they don't really fly far. I've gotten them with the hose very frequently.

Over a year ago: We had a similar hawk (maybe same one) pull a bunch of quail through the wire of a rabbit cage (sitting on the floor deep inside the garage). It must have simply flown in via the open door and walk all the way to the back. The quail were too large to fit through the bars, so the hawk just kept grabbing parts. It was gruesome.

In November: I had a hawk attack my Spitzhauben when I was just 20' away. It landed on the Spitz and all I saw was a flapping mess of feathers. I was cleaning the run & chased it off with my pooper scooper. The hen took damage but survived.

Hey guys! Been super busy last few weeks. Doing a refi on our house to do home improvement etc. Made a few trips to southern IN to help my youngest son get his house on the market. Not much happening with the chickens aside from egg production ramping up.

Annoying hawk:

I heard a ruckus coming from the bantam coop yesterday. A hawk actually was inside our screened room.... less than 12" from our sliding door. It was standing on the welcome mat trying to claw its way into the little coop. My husband got to the door first and banged on the glass, but the hawk didn't fly away. He opened it a crack and threw a shoe at it. Then it flew just outside the screened room and landed on the grill.

I took this pic from inside the house with the door open.

IMG_2309.JPG

I took this as I walked through the screened room.... slowly

IMG_2310.JPG

I was slowly stalking it.... not sure how close I would get. I got as far as the garbage can, then flew to a tree.

IMG_2311.JPG

It stayed in the tree for a while, so my son got out his super soaker. It moved but stayed in the area. It actually moved a little closer to us when we started cleaning the big coop. Needless to say, I did not let any chickens out all day. It's still hanging around.

I think it's a Coopers Hawk.

IMG_2312.JPG
OMG he is determined to get a chicken.... I had a hawk killing one of my pullets a few weeks ago and it was heart breaking. So I made a few predator proof changes. Due to the large size of my chicken run and the trees it is difficult to cover the run. However, these are the things that i have done to prevent hawks from getting my chickens. Maybe these ideas could work for you:
I have used fishing line and zig zag from one tree to the other trying to make it look like spider web with the fishing line.
I have also hang old CD's from the trees
I have made a scarecrow and set it in the run.
So far I have not had any accidents. I saw a Hawk on Saturday flying over my chickens . I made the call and they all run to safety. I can't wait for my rooster to grow fast enough to alarm and protect my girls.
Good luck

OMG he is determined to get a chicken.... I had a hawk killing one of my pullets a few weeks ago and it was heart breaking. So I made a few predator proof changes. Due to the large size of my chicken run and the trees it is difficult to cover the run. However, these are the things that i have done to prevent hawks from getting my chickens. Maybe these ideas could work for you:
I have used fishing line and zig zag from one tree to the other trying to make it look like spider web with the fishing line.
I have also hang old CD's from the trees
I have made a scarecrow and set it in the run.
So far I have not had any accidents. I saw a Hawk on Saturday flying over my chickens . I made the call and they all run to safety. I can't wait for my rooster to grow fast enough to alarm and protect my girls.
Good luck
My bantams are always confined & protected. (either inside the coop/run or a chicken tractor) But having a hungry hawk inches away, clawing at the wire is very scary...... especially when it's in the screened room!

I'm thinking of putting up some CDs in summer when the main flock starts to free range. Even the big chickens are cooped up right now. I'm also hoping to add more bushes since my yard is fairly open.

I make a deep "Haaaawk" warning call and my flock instantly takes cover.... even the roos.

You made me laugh when you say "I make a deep "Haaaawk" warning call and my flock instantly takes cover.... even the roos". I just can imagine the roos saying " the heck with bravery I am running too LOL. Putting CD's so far has worked for me. I really hope the Hawks goes away. Let us know any updates..

Man, that hawk! :barnie Coopers and Sharp-Shinned are super hard to tell apart, but I think you're correct that it's a Coopers. It has a flat tail edge which would indicate Sharpie, but it seems quite large for them, and it has that large head with the sort-of-crest at the back and paler nape of the neck typical of Coopers, unless that's a trick of the light there. What I can tell you for sure is, regardless of whether it's a Sharpie or a Coopers, it's not a juvenile; that's adult plumage. Its familiarity makes me suspect that you have a return visitor. Those poor banties! Hopefully it doesn't have any luck this time around and it'll move on and forget about your place. :fl

Man, that hawk! :barnie Coopers and Sharp-Shinned are super hard to tell apart, but I think you're correct that it's a Coopers. It has a flat tail edge which would indicate Sharpie, but it seems quite large for them, and it has that large head with the sort-of-crest at the back and paler nape of the neck typical of Coopers, unless that's a trick of the light there. What I can tell you for sure is, regardless of whether it's a Sharpie or a Coopers, it's not a juvenile; that's adult plumage. Its familiarity makes me suspect that you have a return visitor. Those poor banties! Hopefully it doesn't have any luck this time around and it'll move on and forget about your place. :fl
2 years ago..... We had a very bold hawk eat most of our quail. (Was on garage floor along the back wall pulling bits of quail through the bars of a rabbit cage. Very gruesome.) It almost hit me in the head flying away when I walked through the open garage door and surprised it. The hawk just sat on the fence and waited for me to leave so it could get back to its meal.
IMG_7529.JPG

It's possibly the same one. Both attacks were sort of inside.

Look who was in our screened room again!

IMG_2322.JPG

When I opened the door it flew to the gate (in pic) It waited until I actually stepped out, then flew away into a tree.

Poor bantams were all stuffed into the nest boxes this morning. It was probably there for a couple hours.
WOW this hawk is not giving up, how bold!!

Back
Top Bottom