INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hi! I've been out of the chicken game a little while and looking to start back up. We lived in GA before so I don't have the connections in INDIANA I did there. Can anyone direct me to sellers locally? Near West Lafayette? I tried to search the forums, but nothing came up for me. Ideally we'd like to start off with just a few laying hens, but some close to laying age would be okay too.
Thanks in advanced!

Over the next month, I'll be driving occasionally from IL to the Valparaiso area.
I'm also looking for possible egg sources along the way. These are the breeds I'm thinking about:

View attachment 2049269
* Bantam Orpingtons (If you know me, you know my beloved Cookie. She's 6 yrs old & I'd love for her to hatch the next generation of little "Cookies" while she's still with us.

* Jumbo Coturnix quail or any Coturnix quail. We had them a few years ago and miss those little speckled eggs.

* Modern Game bantam - my son really liked these.

Curious about the quail-keep them by themselves or with the hens?

Hi! I've been out of the chicken game a little while and looking to start back up. We lived in GA before so I don't have the connections in INDIANA I did there. Can anyone direct me to sellers locally? Near West Lafayette? I tried to search the forums, but nothing came up for me. Ideally we'd like to start off with just a few laying hens, but some close to laying age would be okay too.
Thanks in advanced!
Welcome to the thread!
I’ve been on the thread a few years and it is a helpful bunch!
Traffic on the thread of late has been light. Don’t give up on us. Just don’t be surprised if it takes a couple of days, either.
:frow

Trying to keep up a little on the thread. Quail are completely a very sustainable bird. Coturnix quail are the "cornish cross" of the quail breed. Grow huge fast ready to process 6 weeks! Tons of eggs. They will not brood, you have to incubate them. Its been completely bred out of them originally from Asia.
I have kept them and will again. http://www.jamesmariefarms.com/ it's his life's work very smart man.
If you prefer a heritage quail most folks go with Bobwhites. THEY WILL BROOD AND HATCH! But the adult bird is pretty small hardly worth harvesting. Quail eggs have proven to be medicinal raw and that was my #1 reason to keep them. I do not keep them in the winter, they would probably be fine but ensuring fresh water.. I keep cows and that's my priority over poultry.

Hi y'all, I'm pretty new here and wasn't sure where to post, but I live in NWI (LaPorte County) and am looking for Silkie hens or pullets, either breeders, hatcheries, or someone who lives nearby. Sorry to bother anyone if this isn't where to post!
Welcome and please feel ok to post!
I did try comingling several years back. My chickens literally ate them. Not good unless they grew up together, that worked ok. Birds that grow up together accept other breeds as their flock. Like humans birds will accept what they know.

Last edited:

Quail would wander off so they must be contained.

For 4H my daughter hatched quail and built a "quail cage" that looked surprisingly like a double rabbit cage...... because we would like to get rabbits someday.
cage.jpg
Due to hectic lives, we never did get those rabbits. We had quail for 2 years but decided to eat them rather than care for them for a 3rd winter. (They do not lay over the winter, so it's a hassle with no rewards until spring!) It's my son who actually misses the quail- -or at least he misses those cute little eggs. My husband & I enjoyed the meat too. They don't have much personality but do make cute little noises. We would put them into a tractor for grass time but if it was raining or winter, they could spend the day in the cage.

We only had one that I'd say was a pet. My daughter doted on a male quail who would actually follow her and stay with her. He looked like all the others but he'd always run up into her hands to greet her.

Here was the little fellow. (and no we didn't eat him.)
IMG_1933 copy.jpg

grace quail1.jpg

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I decided to take advantage of the sunshine and take some pics.
chick pics today. My gardens are a mess but pretty much the only place where I could find a bit of green for the pics.

The odd family (MaiMai, silkie mama, her 5.5 week old orp chick, and 4.5 month old adopted serama pullet, named Solo)

IMG_2561 (2).JPG

IMG_2573 (2).JPG

and my loving little Solo who still likes to run up to my shoulder/neck to snuggle
IMG_2584 (2).JPG

Xansie, the silkie mama, and her 4 week old serama - still looks like a girl.
IMG_2550 (2).JPG

IMG_2555 (2).JPG

Sesame, the mama serama, and her 9 day old orpington chicks.
The black looks girl-ish and the lav gives me male vibes.... so far all have been female, so it's about time I get a male. I won't really know gender for another 3-4 weeks.
IMG_2512 (2).JPG

IMG_2515 (2).JPG

IMG_2518 (2).JPG

IMG_2527 (2).JPG
Beauty pictures, you really have model chickens LOL. Thanks for posting this and bringing some smile after all this craziness going on...

I'm sorry we are going thru a difficult time with my Dad (Dad in law). 4th round of cancer. So far we got this! Not going to be here much. Miss you guys but I really need time with him. If you need some ideas or working though something send me a personal message. Please pray for George he is a kind and awesome man, I love him very much.
I am sorry to hear that. Praying for George.

Trying to keep up a little on the thread. Quail are completely a very sustainable bird. Coturnix quail are the "cornish cross" of the quail breed. Grow huge fast ready to process 6 weeks! Tons of eggs. They will not brood, you have to incubate them. Its been completely bred out of them originally from Asia.
I have kept them and will again. http://www.jamesmariefarms.com/ it's his life's work very smart man.
If you prefer a heritage quail most folks go with Bobwhites. THEY WILL BROOD AND HATCH! But the adult bird is pretty small hardly worth harvesting. Quail eggs have proven to be medicinal raw and that was my #1 reason to keep them. I do not keep them in the winter, they would probably be fine but ensuring fresh water.. I keep cows and that's my priority over poultry.
Do they lay in the winter at all?

Is anyone interested in Cotton Patch goslings? My goose has gone broody since Thursday. If anyone is interested in goslings, I will check fertility and put the eggs in an incubator. I can't let her hatch and raise any, since I don't want anymore geese at this time.

Here are some links about them:

https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Geese/CottonPatch/BRKCP.html
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/cotton-patch
Also, if she's really determined and stays broody, I will replace her eggs with muscovy eggs. I don't want more muscovies right now either, but they could be butchered once grown. I would never butcher a goose.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom