INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Cows??? We bought this older home last year and we are surrounded by 22 acres of cows, a bull, and they calf right out my kitchen sometimes. Sheesh
I've wanted cows my entire life! My paternal grandma kept them most of her adult life, and grew up with them. I have pictures of my Dad riding steers 75 years ago lol. I remember my parents having laying hens before I was even in school. We took the leap around 7-8 years ago and got our first Jersey cow, Fanny. Excellent milker, but when I had her preg checked we found she had a mummy calf :hit. So I went through my vet, got 2 heifers and bottle raised them. Both were good moms, TERRIBLE milkers. Kicked, fought, got hurt a few times butted several.. so I finally sold them as brood cows. Kept one heifer from the 1st freshen. Daisy was a very sweet cow, showed in 4h and polite little lady. We lost her from calving. So I felt its time I give up on Jerseys last year.
We've switched over to Herefords and I couldn't be happier with them. Gentle calm cows, good Daddy, and no drama. Of course I never trust any large livestock! We have had them almost 2 years now, and I've never been butted by a single one. Some of the jersey I honestly didn't even want to enter the pasture without a prod in hand. There are good and bad in every breed of animal of course! Someday I will try to have a milk cow again.

Muscovy are hatching! 4 broody mamas! :celebrate!
Taking the ducklings that are away from the mothers. One mother is perfect but the other 3 don't seem as attentive as miss Physco. She's a few years old, the rest are last years hatch ducks. Physco is trying to fly into the windows of my Brood building so I've left them open until tonight. She will brood them in the building but she has to enter "on her own" lol. She's earned her name because she will starve herself, fight anything and raise every baby that hatches. We have black and lavender pied and atipico Scovys.

Gardening question. Any tomato/pepper experts please shout out! I usually have good germination, start plenty early on a heat mat. This year my 1st planting early march FAILED :(. I use good led lights and set the mat at 75 degrees. So I replanted same seed packets and they did fine. Same with my pepper plants... thoughts?
Baby chicks and ducklings are going strong. Even as chicks I really adore the Barred Rocks. As soon as they see my hand in the brooder they all come running. Most of the Ameraucana will also. Maran seem more timid.
They are 10 days old now, next week I'll introduce chick grit and start them with a few meal worms every day. I restarted my meal worm farm in January when DH bought me a Bearded Dragon, Lizzy for Christmas. She isn't a fan of them, or Dubia roaches either. She does like crickets, and wax worms are her favorite! So the excess bug farms are for the chickens too.

Here's my Lonely Only serama. SHE is 2 weeks old today. Still a very tiny thing. Silkied feathering. I felt the orp chicks were simply too big for her, so she hangs out with her quail siblings..... but they're now also bigger than she is.

IMG_3746 (2).JPG

IMG_3750 (2).JPG

IMG_3752 (2).JPG

Attachments

• 1590631129518.gif
    1590631129518.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0
  • 1590631129556.gif
    1590631129556.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 0
Hey, all! So I’ve got 15 broilers that are a couple weeks away from hitting their target weight. Does anyone know of a butcher in the north Indy/Fishers area? If not, anywhere in the area would work. I’m not even sure what to search for online. I’ve not yet found anything. If I have to do it myself, I will, but was hoping to not have to.
Thanks!

Hey, all! So I’ve got 15 broilers that are a couple weeks away from hitting their target weight. Does anyone know of a butcher in the north Indy/Fishers area? If not, anywhere in the area would work. I’m not even sure what to search for online. I’ve not yet found anything. If I have to do it myself, I will, but was hoping to not have to.
Thanks!
There is a butcher in Cambridge city. Think this is it https://www.facebook.com/rihmfoods/ They require all to be over 5 lbs. IF YOU HAVE TO DO YOURSELF and need a hand, holler. I won't do it for you but I certainly will help you learn. I always have a few birds I'm not keeping that are due for the "bad day". I follow Joel Salatains method and frankly it sure makes the process easier. Right now we are facing too many drakes, and its mostly the same process.

There is a butcher in Cambridge city. Think this is it https://www.facebook.com/rihmfoods/ They require all to be over 5 lbs. IF YOU HAVE TO DO YOURSELF and need a hand, holler. I won't do it for you but I certainly will help you learn. I always have a few birds I'm not keeping that are due for the "bad day". I follow Joel Salatains method and frankly it sure makes the process easier. Right now we are facing too many drakes, and its mostly the same process.

Thank you! I am going to call them in the morning. :) I’m not so opposed to doing it myself, but after doing a couple last year, I feel like 15 would be a lot.

thanks again!

12 Muscovy ducklings so far! Most are lavender pied. I'm taking the ducklings this year, mothers are fighting over them. One rouge hen chose a nest under a shed and I'm very worried for her.
Thank you! I am going to call them in the morning. :) I’m not so opposed to doing it myself, but after doing a couple last year, I feel like 15 would be a lot.

thanks again!

It is a lot. I have a plucker so that sure speeds thing up. Holler if you need help.

We probably won't hatch anymore this year. Have one friend that might want a few chicks. I've learned to only hatch what you can keep. Often folks may change their mind. I've been left with a whole lot of extra chickens I didn't plan to have.

Back
Top Bottom