INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

9AFE338E-8475-4CA2-97CD-04B8402AA328.jpeg

9078F3E1-0A14-453E-B474-A5F38B37FF70.jpeg

We’re well underway here! I hear happy cheeps inside the eggs. That’s 20 days for two of them this time around. Two still have no movement.

88755FB7-FACC-4099-944B-7E570AE4067E.jpeg

Woke up to one happy chick! Two eggs still have no movement and the one with the pip is still scratching, despite having a hole. I can see it moving around within. I’m resisting the urge to help out. I’ll be out all morning, so I’m hoping it’ll be out when I get back. If not, it’ll be nearing 24 hours and I’ll need to research if I should assist at that point.

View attachment 2322336
Woke up to one happy chick! Two eggs still have no movement and the one with the pip is still scratching, despite having a hole. I can see it moving around within. I’m resisting the urge to help out. I’ll be out all morning, so I’m hoping it’ll be out when I get back. If not, it’ll be nearing 24 hours and I’ll need to research if I should assist at that point.
I think my broody hens actually assist the chick hatch sometimes. I doubt you'll have to do anything. I've seen them cluck and peck at shell to get the chick moving inside.

Ugh, I should have thought to partition off this nesting box last night. I’m out of town and noticed on the chick cam that my leghorn was attacking the momma Silkie and her chicks. Worse yet, no one was home to stop it. I called my neighbor and he went over right away to stop it. I think we caught it in time, the black chick in the video laid there for about fifteen minutes before my neighbor put her back under the mother Silkie. She’s now moving around, so I’m hoping she’s fine. The momma Silkie and the leghorn were all out fighting for about twenty minutes, but the Silkie is less than half her size.
Lesson for me moving forward is to partition off the nesting box around day 20 from now on and place food and water in it.

Ugh, I should have thought to partition off this nesting box last night. I’m out of town and noticed on the chick cam that my leghorn was attacking the momma Silkie and her chicks. Worse yet, no one was home to stop it. I called my neighbor and he went over right away to stop it. I think we caught it in time, the black chick in the video laid there for about fifteen minutes before my neighbor put her back under the mother Silkie. She’s now moving around, so I’m hoping she’s fine. The momma Silkie and the leghorn were all out fighting for about twenty minutes, but the Silkie is less than half her size.
Lesson for me moving forward is to partition off the nesting box around day 20 from now on and place food and water in it.
I'm surprised your hen was willing to broody that long. Shes a fine momma! Really hope the chick is ok

@Pollitos6 , how’s it going today?
Hello Finnie:
Well I talked with the family regarding the option to put Candy up for adoption. A cousin of my husband told me she will love to have Candy. She has known my dog since she was a pup and Candy likes her. However... after talking with the kids they asked me to give her another chance. They promised they will watch her and they will keep the chickens and ducks in their area unless they are supervised and in that case they can free range in our backyard. So.. even though I am still hurt for what happened i wanted my kids know that I respect their opinion and I decided to keep Candy. This has been an eye opener for us and we are also supervising our other dogs when they are close to our poultry. My other dogs have never hurt any of my poultry but I am not taking any more chances.

Thanks for your advise:hugs

Back
Top Bottom