INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

does anyone have a formula for an non gmo all flock feed? currently we get our feed from honeyville feed, but i think the feed is to powdery. would like something more along the lines of a crumble but would prefer not buying prepackaged.
If being powdery is the only problem with your current feed, you could try fermenting it. That would incorporate the powder. Chickens love fermented feed, but it’s not for everyone’s style of flock management. Gee, you could even just moisten the feed and serve it wet if you didn’t want to maintain fermenting buckets.

Hello! I work for a 1920's history farm located in West Lafayette Indiana. We have a flock of 66 chickens, along with 4 turkeys, and 14 ducks. Part of our mission is to educate the public about animal husbandry. We pride ourselves in having heritage breed birds to share with guests. I am looking to add 5 hens to our flock. Breeds must be period, from 1920's or older. Does anyone know anyone in Indiana raising birds that might fit this bill? Hens only please. We are willing to pick up. Looking for layers.
Welcome to our thread! I keep Barred Plymouth Rock which are a very old breed. No extra birds right now but will keep this in mind.
Hello! Anyone in NE Indiana interested in muscovy ducks? They've been raised as pets. I made a post in another forum here, but haven't gotten any responses. Thought I would share the link here. I love them - just afraid my ratio is off and that when they have to be secured in their run, they don't have enough room. Or if you know of anyone IRL looking for muscovy, pass it on. :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/muscovy-ducks-any-interest-in-ne-indiana.1425040/
elcome to our thread! I adore Muscovy but have a few too many myself right now! Will mention to friends not on the forum.
does anyone have a formula for an non gmo all flock feed? currently we get our feed from honeyville feed, but i think the feed is to powdery. would like something more along the lines of a crumble but would prefer not buying prepackaged.
Awesome to see you post :frow! @Leahs Mom might be able to direct you she does a non GMO feed.

Last edited:
Wanted to wish everyone a very blessed and Happy Thanksgiving! This year is a first for several of my family. I'm usually the host and cook the meal, sometimes will be at my youngest DDs home. She's expecting our second grandchild!!! (yes Gramma again in February! :celebrate)
Covid risks we are doing virtual thanksgiving with DHs family and mine.

If being powdery is the only problem with your current feed, you could try fermenting it. That would incorporate the powder. Chickens love fermented feed, but it’s not for everyone’s style of flock management. Gee, you could even just moisten the feed and serve it wet if you didn’t want to maintain fermenting buckets.
Totally agree here. I admit I really prefer feeding fermented feed. Especially to meat birds! Processing odors are non existent. Very healthy gut flora and helps so many other issues. My layer flock loves it too, and you will see a huge change in health and vigor. Feathering and egg laying will improve too.

Wanted to wish everyone a very blessed and Happy Thanksgiving! This year is a first for several of my family. I'm usually the host and cook the meal, sometimes will be at my youngest DDs home. She's expecting our second grandchild!!! (yes Gramma again in February! :celebrate)
I suppose you know the story of the first indiana thanksgiving? A bunch of resident were all gathered and drinking in excess. A huge fight arose and people started getting their ears cut off. It was such a mad house that ears began to go all around the room. After the fight had calmed everyone began hunting for their lost ears. Everytime the found one they shouted "Whose ear?!" And thats why we are called Hoosiers

Missed you! and Happy Thanksgiving!

Ours will be a virtual Thanksgiving as well. The is the 1st time processing our own tom turkey. Did it on Sat, but meat is not as soft/floppy as a store chicken. This Thanksgiving project started back in April with some eggs. I'd hate to ruin the experience by cooking too soon.

Are there any tricks to speed up the 'resting period'? Otherwise our Thanksgiving will have to be tomorrow.

IMG_6220 (2).JPG

Missed you! and Happy Thanksgiving!

Ours will be a virtual Thanksgiving as well. The is the 1st time processing our own tom turkey. Did it on Sat, but meat is not as soft/floppy as a store chicken. This Thanksgiving project started back in April with some eggs. I'd hate to ruin the experience by cooking too soon.

Are there any tricks to speed up the 'resting period'? Otherwise our Thanksgiving will have to be tomorrow.

View attachment 2426021
If you did it on Saturday I'd think the meat has rested enough. Turkey is cooked low and slow anyways so I wouldn't think it would be a problem especially if you keep the meat well basted. My chickens only needed to rest in the fridge for about 48 hours before they were good to go. We don't raise turkeys though...yet;)

elcome to our thread! I adore Muscovy but have a few too many myself right now! Will mention to friends not on the forum.

Thank you. I'm torn as far as what to do. I love them all, but I have 2 bullies making life for the other 5 hard. It's not even the males fighting - yet. It's just bullying and chasing. :hmm
They have plenty of space to keep away from each other too and free range during the day. At night though, the bullies stand at the door and the rest of the crew don't want to go in when I'm trying to put them up for the night.

Hello , I need your guys advise please .
I have a hen that had a swollen eye for a few weeks . After some research I think she had respiratory infection. I treated her by injecting her tylan 50 1/2 cc twice a day for 4 days . She weight 4 lbs . I have algo been putting and antibiotic gel in her bad eye and putting some vetrx in her comb. At first she was discharging some mucus from her nose. She has been doing better , no more mucus , her swollen eye has gotten a bit better but still swollen and even though she has tried opening the eye I don’t know what else to do to help her . She has been isolated for a few weeks . She acts normal , she eats , drink , is active , lay eggs . What else can I do ? I don’t know any vet that handles chicken .

any advice ?

please and thank you

Attachments

• 9C18CD55-A22C-437D-B770-C9D92F2F30F6.jpeg
    9C18CD55-A22C-437D-B770-C9D92F2F30F6.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 0
Hello , I need your guys advise please .
I have a hen that had a swollen eye for a few weeks . After some research I think she had respiratory infection. I treated her by injecting her tylan 50 1/2 cc twice a day for 4 days . She weight 4 lbs . I have algo been putting and antibiotic gel in her bad eye and putting some vetrx in her comb. At first she was discharging some mucus from her nose. She has been doing better , no more mucus , her swollen eye has gotten a bit better but still swollen and even though she has tried opening the eye I don’t know what else to do to help her . She has been isolated for a few weeks . She acts normal , she eats , drink , is active , lay eggs . What else can I do ? I don’t know any vet that handles chicken .

any advice ?

please and thank you
So sorry, hope she gets feeling better, I've never encountered something like this before. But you've been trying so much already.

Back
Top Bottom