INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Oh, hey there is an animal rescue in Brownsburg called Oinking Acres. They have a flock of geese currently as well as some chickens (pigs too). They are a rescue, so these are pet farm animals. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone close is looking. They just rescued a bunch of animals from a neglectful situation. They are on FB, IG, and have their own website.

Oh, hey there is an animal rescue in Brownsburg called Oinking Acres. They have a flock of geese currently as well as some chickens (pigs too). They are a rescue, so these are pet farm animals. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case anyone close is looking. They just rescued a bunch of animals from a neglectful situation. They are on FB, IG, and have their own website.
"Pet farm animal" seems a little ironic:

9 CFR 1.1 [Title 9 -- Animals and Animal Products; Chapter I -- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Department of Agriculture], farm animal means “any domestic species of cattle, sheep, swine, goats, llamas, or horses, which are normally and have historically, been kept and raised on farms in the U.S., and used or intended for use as food or fiber, or for improving animal nutrition, breeding, management, or production efficiency, or for improving the quality of food or fiber. This term also includes animals such as rabbits, mink, and chinchilla, when they are used solely for purposes of meat or fur, and animals such as horses and llamas when used solely as work and pack animals.”

Now I would call my chickens pets but they provide me with fresh eggs. The ones not laying anymore are just freeloaders :lau I can tell you I've heard of many a parent that made the mistake of buying a "pet farm animal". Cute when small...but they get bigger.

I'll play!

What birds were your #1 favorite?

Chickens. Love many breeds but big fat fluffy English Orps are my fav. Son loves Appenzeller Spitzhauben & Daughter is a Silkie fan. Throw in a few seramas, a piano-playing Modern Game Bantam, and a feisty, 7 yr old Sebright who is the top hen
View attachment 3380240View attachment 3380244View attachment 3380239
View attachment 3380247View attachment 3380251View attachment 3380252View attachment 3380246View attachment 3380248

What have you kept?
Only kept chickens with occasional (seasonal) quail & turkeys (2-3 at a time)
Hatched:
chickens (big orps & Bielefelders down to tiny seramas and many breeds in between), ducks, quail, turkeys. Love to hatch!! - best when we do it for others

What didn't work out well?
Love-Hate relationship with turkeys. Cute poults, annoying and hysterical antics, great flock protection, they eat a lot, can be bullies to the chickens, and taste delicious. Every fall I'm counting the days until their departure. But spring hits and I soften, then decide to hatch some again.
View attachment 3380245

What would you like to keep someday?

Rabbits. I had a Flemish giant as a kid. Also some Netherland dwarfs.
Maybe.... Maybe... If I had the property.... trying a few goats or sheep.
You have gorgeous birds to be proud of and I'm assuming children/grandkids? I love that pic of the black chick underneath your other girl. You should submit that for the caption thread!

I looked into goats a while back and realized: I think we're goat people...but we're not goat people. Sheep though Im all for.

You have gorgeous birds to be proud of and I'm assuming children/grandkids? I love that pic of the black chick underneath your other girl. You should submit that for the caption thread!

I looked into goats a while back and realized: I think we're goat people...but we're not goat people. Sheep though Im all for.
Thank you.

No matter what the animal, it must be a good fit. That way caring for them never feels like a chore.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/attachments/3345/3345516-cd012c17e71dde3866e3871191b31540.jpg
If you look closer at that broody serama photo above, you'll notice many, many legs. There are about a dozen full sized orpington chicks under her. My crazy bantam hens like to adopt whatever peeps. Whenever we hatch, the broody at the time gets to babysit the entire incubator until the chicks, quail, ducks, poults are sold. (It's a crazy time, and we're glad the hens can't count. LOL) We let the mama keep 2-3 babies. It's adorable when a bantam mama cares for giant babies.

Here's my bantam orp with her turkey babies
1674249779754.jpeg

Overflowing brooders
2.jpg

Whoever said Sebrights are not a broody breed never met our hen, named Trouble.
1674250067038.jpeg

"Pet farm animal" seems a little ironic:

9 CFR 1.1 [Title 9 -- Animals and Animal Products; Chapter I -- Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Department of Agriculture], farm animal means “any domestic species of cattle, sheep, swine, goats, llamas, or horses, which are normally and have historically, been kept and raised on farms in the U.S., and used or intended for use as food or fiber, or for improving animal nutrition, breeding, management, or production efficiency, or for improving the quality of food or fiber. This term also includes animals such as rabbits, mink, and chinchilla, when they are used solely for purposes of meat or fur, and animals such as horses and llamas when used solely as work and pack animals.”

Now I would call my chickens pets but they provide me with fresh eggs. The ones not laying anymore are just freeloaders :lau I can tell you I've heard of many a parent that made the mistake of buying a "pet farm animal". Cute when small...but they get bigger.
I might not have phrased that properly as I was in a hurry this morning and needed to get ready for work. I meant the pigs aren't for slaughter and neither are any of the animals they saved from neglect. They take adoption applications. If you're interested check them out, but if not it's ok too.

I don't really appreciate the reply as it looks and sounds condescending to me. I know what a farm animal is and I know what a farm is. I don't need the federal regulations pointed out to me. But, typically the animals they save are considered farm animals.

I don't post here much anymore and it's because replies are dissected if you don't respond just right.

Thank you.

No matter what the animal, it must be a good fit. That way caring for them never feels like a chore.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/data/attachments/3345/3345516-cd012c17e71dde3866e3871191b31540.jpg
If you look closer at that broody serama photo above, you'll notice many, many legs. There are about a dozen full sized orpington chicks under her. My crazy bantam hens like to adopt whatever peeps. Whenever we hatch, the broody at the time gets to babysit the entire incubator until the chicks, quail, ducks, poults are sold. (It's a crazy time, and we're glad the hens can't count. LOL) We let the mama keep 2-3 babies. It's adorable when a bantam mama cares for giant babies.

Here's my bantam orp with her turkey babies
View attachment 3380942
Overflowing brooders
View attachment 3380944

Whoever said Sebrights are not a broody breed never met our hen, named Trouble.
View attachment 3380957
Hah I've got one like that too. We call her Rogue. She escaped the backyard one night and we assumed she'd been eaten. Hubby found her the next morning running around his car. Now she sneaks over to the neighbors and eats birdseed

I might not have phrased that properly as I was in a hurry this morning and needed to get ready for work. I meant the pigs aren't for slaughter and neither are any of the animals they saved from neglect. They take adoption applications. If you're interested check them out, but if not it's ok too.

I don't really appreciate the reply as it looks and sounds condescending to me. I know what a farm animal is and I know what a farm is. I don't need the federal regulations pointed out to me. But, typically the animals they save are considered farm animals.

I don't post here much anymore and it's because replies are dissected if you don't respond just right.
I didn't mean to sound that way I'm only saying that livestock are not pets. They are livestock. I'm not sure what neglectful place they were rescued from but it was more than likely a place that had them as pets. I didn't mean to be hurtful to you and I apologize if it came out that way. :hugs

I didn't mean to sound that way I'm only saying that livestock are not pets. They are livestock. I'm not sure what neglectful place they were rescued from but it was more than likely a place that had them as pets. I didn't mean to be hurtful to you and I apologize if it came out that way. :hugs
This wasn't a place that was keeping them as pets. I just phrased it like that because I was in a hurry and was running out of time to post in detail to explain that you have to fill out an adoption application. I should not have posted without having ample time to post and explain the situation in detail.
However, the links below have the actual story.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/l...farm/531-c0e13958-a78b-4486-ad40-95c278f9710d

https://fox59.com/indiana-news/hancock-county-farm-under-investigation-dozens-of-animals-se

Here is the rescue's page.
https://oinkingacres.org

This wasn't a place that was keeping them as pets. I just phrased it like that because I was in a hurry and was running out of time to post in detail to explain that you have to fill out an adoption application. I should not have posted without having ample time to post and explain the situation in detail.
However, the links below have the actual story.

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/l...farm/531-c0e13958-a78b-4486-ad40-95c278f9710d

https://fox59.com/indiana-news/hancock-county-farm-under-investigation-dozens-of-animals-se

Here is the rescue's page.
https://oinkingacres.org
Don't feel like you have to explain yourself in detail. You don't owe me an explanation or anything. I was merely expressing my opinion that livestock are not pets. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom