INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

My poultry and waterfowl journey started around 13 years ago. I still had one gander from our original start up flock. His name was Gee, 13 year old white Chinese. On a sad note my my daughter called me just bawling. He passed Monday. DD loved him, spoiled him and pampered Gee. Truly a pet, and the last of our original flock of 13 years ago. Gee was a lap pet, a friend, companion and a fierce protector of his humans. He left us peacefully in his sleep. Pictu My DD and Gee.
So sad about Gee :hit:hugs
Lot of good questions to ask. 7 month are at that hard to sex point. They actually take about a year to be matured but... Taller, longer legs, higher voices more abrupt front of the flock mentality are ganders. Low voices MmmmMMmmmm are goose (hens). Once the geese all hit fertility SOON Gisela will pick a fella. Ive had fertile eggs early as late January late as October. I will make a point to watch for a brown gander!
Thanks!

The two goslings’ behavior has puzzled me. From the beginning they have mimicked their father in behavior and I thought, oh no they are both boys. But then they developed very low voices and I have seen them both behaving and posturing like their mother. They actually make both low and high pitched sounds. I guess the jury will be out for a while longer.

:hit

I’ve had a goose tragedy. I’m so mad at myself. I haven’t locked my goose flock up at night for months now because I thought they were safe behind my electric fence. It’s 5 strands of hot wire.

But something came last night and killed 3 out of my 5. Probably the fox we’ve seen passing through a couple times this week. I thought the fence was keeping the fox out. I should have known better. And what’s worse, I was supposed to lock them up last night because I had a buyer coming this morning, and if I hadn’t forgotten to do that, they would all be alive now.:hit

I have my brown goose Gisela left and one of the goslings. The gosling is favoring its right leg. I imagine it got hurt trying to run away from whatever was killing it’s parents and sister. My poor poor babies. From now on I am locking them up at night.

I’ve had a goose tragedy. I’m so mad at myself. I haven’t locked my goose flock up at night for months now because I thought they were safe behind my electric fence. It’s 5 strands of hot wire.

But something came last night and killed 3 out of my 5. Probably the fox we’ve seen passing through a couple times this week. I thought the fence was keeping the fox out. I should have known better. And what’s worse, I was supposed to lock them up last night because I had a buyer coming this morning, and if I hadn’t forgotten to do that, they would all be alive now.:hit

I have my brown goose Gisela left and one of the goslings. The gosling is favoring its right leg. I imagine it got hurt trying to run away from whatever was killing it’s parents and sister. My poor poor babies. From now on I am locking them up at night.
Oh no. How tragic. I'm so sorry for your losses. 😥

:hugs sorry for your losses

:rant rotten predators

My condolences to you. We had a fox take one of our girls last year in the middle of the day. Snapped her neck immediately and ran off with her. We were able to prevent it from eating her by scaring it off but she was long gone. Never did catch that fox but haven't seen it since

Oh no. Sorry to hear that, I know how heart breaking it is. :hugs

hi guys!
So spring is not far, and one of our friends got married and bought a house about 2 years ago. The young couple are animal lovers, and gardeners. I spent a good hour on the phone tonight with them!
I am searching for Muscovy adults or ducklings/hatching eggs. Any colors are fine, they will be mostly pets and for eggs. If they can even locate a pair, I'll hatch for them. Please give me a shout out if you know anyone with Muscovy.
If you are still looking, I saw this Craiglist ad selling mostly males, but also some females in Rushville.
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/d/rushville-muskovy-ducks/7578336047.html

Hello everyone,

I have 4 ducks in need of rehousing. There are 3 drakes and a hen. In all honesty, I didn’t know what I was getting into when I got the ducks. I purchased them from tractor supply as chicks and they were labeled as female. Turns out I managed to get 3 drakes. They are great ducks. I tried my best to socialize them but they are still skittish. I have chickens as well, but don’t need the extra work involved with keeping ducks. They are free to your home. You can pick them up yourself or I can meet you nearby. I’m in the brownsburg area. Pm me for my number or to ask questions. They are all in good health.

Back
Top Bottom