INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Hello everyone! I had to share this little story...I have this shorter 4x8 coop I built ~4 years ago that's held up very well and now houses 2 hens. As you may know, it was pretty windy in our area this past Saturday. lol Around midday we got some really strong gusts and it ripped a couple pieces of metal off the roof and the chickens went flying "away."

I ran out there right away to get them before something else did. My big Buff girl was just sitting in the middle of the field with huge eyes and a thousand-yard stare so I put her some place temporary and went to look for the other one (Blue Plymouth Rock.)

After looking everywhere and calling for her I finally found her hiding and with her head on the ground, tucked between two small mounds of grass in the field (which had been mowed a few weeks ago, so it's pretty short.) I walked by her at least 3 or 4 times before I saw her! Once I realized she wasn't hurt I told her I was proud of her for hiding so well, unlike her sister. 🙄😂 Neither was hurt and they were back in there after a little maintenance so it could've been a lot worse!

Hello everyone! I had to share this little story...I have this shorter 4x8 coop I built ~4 years ago that's held up very well and now houses 2 hens. As you may know, it was pretty windy in our area this past Saturday. lol Around midday we got some really strong gusts and it ripped a couple pieces of metal off the roof and the chickens went flying "away."

I ran out there right away to get them before something else did. My big Buff girl was just sitting in the middle of the field with huge eyes and a thousand-yard stare so I put her some place temporary and went to look for the other one (Blue Plymouth Rock.)

After looking everywhere and calling for her I finally found her hiding and with her head on the ground, tucked between two small mounds of grass in the field (which had been mowed a few weeks ago, so it's pretty short.) I walked by her at least 3 or 4 times before I saw her! Once I realized she wasn't hurt I told her I was proud of her for hiding so well, unlike her sister. 🙄😂 Neither was hurt and they were back in there after a little maintenance so it could've been a lot worse!
Poor girls, in shock and scared to death

Hey y'all. I have a bit of a problem.

I have a hen, golden comet, either 2 or 3 years old, who started acting weird today. When I went out to the coop in the late morning, she was standing tall on her legs, but leaning up against the coop wall. She's not really standing or walking on her own. I checked her over for injuries, and I can't find anything. No sign of any problems I can figure out. I set her in a next box so she'd be off the floor; she couldn't perch on the roost. I held some food up to her in my hand, and she ate a bit, but when I took my hand away she leaned back over and closed her eyes.

I think maybe just her clock has run out and the cold is doing her in. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Oh, and all of the other chickens in the coop are totally fine. She's the only one in difficulty.

I have a hen, golden comet, either 2 or 3 years old, who started acting weird today. When I went out to the coop in the late morning, she was standing tall on her legs, but leaning up against the coop wall. She's not really standing or walking on her own. I checked her over for injuries, and I can't find anything. No sign of any problems I can figure out. I set her in a next box so she'd be off the floor; she couldn't perch on the roost. I held some food up to her in my hand, and she ate a bit, but when I took my hand away she leaned back over and closed her eyes.

I think maybe just her clock has run out and the cold is doing her in. Anyone have any other thoughts?

Oh, and all of the other chickens in the coop are totally fine. She's the only one in difficulty.
My money is on an egg problem... seeing that she's a hybrid egglayer and at the 2 to 3 years old mark.
Have you made a thread in the sickness/emergency section? I'm not super knowledgeable on these kinds of topics. Sorry about your girl ☹️

In my experience with golden comets it is one word: heartbreak. They don't make it that long. I had one winter I lost 3 and then 2 the following spring. I had to put one out of it's misery because it was just slowly dying and not getting any better. Had one that was my favorite just died in the nesting box...no symptoms no nothing. I wish I could advise you better

I thought I had read that they were pretty short-lived in general. I was expecting that I'd start losing them pretty soon. I only have three, and I don't think any of them lay eggs any more.

If she's still poorly tomorrow I'll probably put her down.

I thought I had read that they were pretty short-lived in general. I was expecting that I'd start losing them pretty soon. I only have three, and I don't think any of them lay eggs any more.

If she's still poorly tomorrow I'll probably put her down.
We tried everything with ours. I have one left out of 8. We switched to barred rocks after that. They started dying off after 3 years. My girl that's still kicking looks more Rhode island red than golden comet though. But TSC mixes up chicks all the time

Back
Top Bottom