INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

hi guys!
So spring is not far, and one of our friends got married and bought a house about 2 years ago. The young couple are animal lovers, and gardeners. I spent a good hour on the phone tonight with them!
I am searching for Muscovy adults or ducklings/hatching eggs. Any colors are fine, they will be mostly pets and for eggs. If they can even locate a pair, I'll hatch for them. Please give me a shout out if you know anyone with Muscovy.

hi guys!
So spring is not far, and one of our friends got married and bought a house about 2 years ago. The young couple are animal lovers, and gardeners. I spent a good hour on the phone tonight with them!
I am searching for Muscovy adults or ducklings/hatching eggs. Any colors are fine, they will be mostly pets and for eggs. If they can even locate a pair, I'll hatch for them. Please give me a shout out if you know anyone with Muscovy.
Murray McMurray

hi guys!
I have a prior chicken customer out in Pitsboro who seems to always be advertising muscovies. If you look on Craigslist, he’s the one who always capitalizes his titles. But I’m guessing you’ve already checked CL.

So my goslings from last spring are 7 months old now and I still can’t sex them. Their knobs are about the size of their mother’s. I can barely discern when they stand next to her and face me, that one’s is slightly smaller than hers and one’s is slightly bigger. I don’t know if that means one is about to suddenly sprout a large male knob, or whether at this age they are as fully developed as they are going to be.

Anyway, I am selling both goslings. I don’t want to hatch eggs that are fertilized by their father. I have them on Craigslist.

In these photos, the parents are the ones with slight dewlaps. The goslings don’t seem to have dewlaps yet.

598B9CE0-689D-428E-8870-DD027236FE3E.jpeg
1D112986-B9A2-4F75-8C08-D16832B7FAF6.jpeg
8678AE30-3863-4979-AA89-221A46C505E2.jpeg
591E215E-1BE8-4DDB-92BB-89BC3530F9E3.jpeg
E167101B-8949-42BB-AB5A-C1031BFDFD1E.jpeg
1F8E83D5-B199-4500-A8FD-6416FF6E5922.jpeg
0A3EE579-40EB-40D6-9160-86295CA0DF2E.jpeg
ADC61CA7-8902-4242-8A2A-34709023CF7C.jpeg

Also, I am still looking for a brown gander for Gisela. She hangs with the white geese, but most of the time when I look out there she is several yards away from them, doing her own thing. I had hoped that she would bond with a male gosling if I had one, since she helped raise them. But I think the whites are way too bonded with each other. I really think I need to get a brown gander and pen them separately if poor Gisela is to ever have a chance to find love.

Attachments

• 33433CA6-A78B-4F8D-B370-A673D9C1628E.jpeg
    33433CA6-A78B-4F8D-B370-A673D9C1628E.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 3
  • D8656438-168A-4402-9635-642742CA4605.jpeg
    D8656438-168A-4402-9635-642742CA4605.jpeg
    618.6 KB · Views: 3
  • E67D3DD6-B462-4553-A1C8-EC4EC26EB2C0.jpeg
    E67D3DD6-B462-4553-A1C8-EC4EC26EB2C0.jpeg
    666.4 KB · Views: 4
I don't have any experience in geese but it is possible your Gisela is just annoyed by the young gander. In my experience with chickens the hens find a young roo to be very annoying to some instances downright intolerable. Ive only had 2 roos in my chicken keeping and I've found it best to keep them separate from my girls because they are just constantly riding them. Also sometimes I'll just have a chicken that just likes to be on her own. They don't have to fight for food if they do their own thing.

hi guys!
There are always muscovy listed on craigslist and even local Indiana FB groups. Where are you located? I know there was a lady not too far from me that has plenty in noble county and another around terre haute. I'm guessing there are plenty of muscovy everywhere. 🤭 If you want, I can put some feelers out closer to your area.

Last edited:
The chicks from my crazy broody bantams will be 8 weeks on Friday.

Spitzhauben #1 (I'm leaning towards female) Just has a narrow girlish face
IMG_1554 (2).JPG
crop adjustment (or opera singer)
IMG_1589 (2).JPG

Spitzhauben #2 (I thought male because of head shape but no male wattles yet)
IMG_1649 (2).JPG IMG_1659 (2).JPG

Showgirl #1 (maybe female)
IMG_1597 (2).JPG IMG_1606 (2).JPG

Showgirl #2 - a frizzle! Maybe male. Comb has a pink hue at times & bigger than the other.
IMG_1612 (2).JPG
IMG_1621 (2).JPG

Serama - "Mr Obvious" Knew he was a male before 3 weeks
IMG_1633 (2).JPG IMG_1637 (2).JPG

My poultry and waterfowl journey started around 13 years ago. I still had one gander from our original start up flock. His name was Gee, 13 year old white Chinese. On a sad note my my daughter called me just bawling. He passed Monday. DD loved him, spoiled him and pampered Gee. Truly a pet, and the last of our original flock of 13 years ago. Gee was a lap pet, a friend, companion and a fierce protector of his humans. He left us peacefully in his sleep. Pictured My DD and Gee.

Attachments

• GEE1.jpg
    GEE1.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
So my goslings from last spring are 7 months old now and I still can’t sex them. Their knobs are about the size of their mother’s. I can barely discern when they stand next to her and face me, that one’s is slightly smaller than hers and one’s is slightly bigger. I don’t know if that means one is about to suddenly sprout a large male knob, or whether at this age they are as fully developed as they are going to be.
Anyway, I am selling both goslings. I don’t want to hatch eggs that are fertilized by their father. I have them on Craigslist.
In these photos, the parents are the ones with slight dewlaps. The goslings don’t seem to have dewlaps yet.
Also, I am still looking for a brown gander for Gisela. She hangs with the white geese, but most of the time when I look out there she is several yards away from them, doing her own thing. I had hoped that she would bond with a male gosling if I had one, since she helped raise them. But I think the whites are way too bonded with each other. I really think I need to get a brown gander and pen them separately if poor Gisela is to ever have a chance to find love.
Lot of good questions to ask. 7 month are at that hard to sex point. They actually take about a year to be matured but... Taller, longer legs, higher voices more abrupt front of the flock mentality are ganders. Low voices MmmmMMmmmm are goose (hens). Once the geese all hit fertility SOON Gisela will pick a fella. Ive had fertile eggs early as late January late as October. I will make a point to watch for a brown gander!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom