INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Great to have you! What sort of predatory issues are you having? Perhaps we can help.
Well, we live on a wooded ravine, so just about every predator you can imagine. We have a 5' fence around much of the property. About 6 mons. after we lost our last lab in Feb 2022, started seeing a fox inside the fence, which was a first. The labs probably kept many predators out for years.
Sometimes the girls venture outside the fence to our surrounding woods. We have lost one outside the fence, which is understandable. But since last September, we have an issue within the fence. We have lost 2 within the last couple of months to violent attacks. Attack at the neck ares and side slashed open, with abdomen eaten. One additional attack left only the head, wings, and legs behind (minimal feathers around). Figured this one was a ferel cat. Assuming the other 2 were either a hawk or oppossum. All happen in the day.
We have always free ranged, and for a year had no problems. The coop and run are predator proof with 1/4" hardware cloth on all sides and base of the entire coop/run. Roof over the coop and run. So the probelm is not in the hen house.
Unfortunately,, we are on someone's radar...

Well, we live on a wooded ravine, so just about every predator you can imagine. We have a 5' fence around much of the property. About 6 mons. after we lost our last lab in Feb 2022, started seeing a fox inside the fence, which was a first. The labs probably kept many predators out for years.
Sometimes the girls venture outside the fence to our surrounding woods. We have lost one outside the fence, which is understandable. But since last September, we have an issue within the fence. We have lost 2 within the last couple of months to violent attacks. Attack at the neck ares and side slashed open, with abdomen eaten. One additional attack left only the head, wings, and legs behind (minimal feathers around). Figured this one was a ferel cat. Assuming the other 2 were either a hawk or oppossum. All happen in the day.
We have always free ranged, and for a year had no problems. The coop and run are predator proof with 1/4" hardware cloth on all sides and base of the entire coop/run. Roof over the coop and run. So the probelm is not in the hen house.
Unfortunately,, we are on someone's radar...
Opossums usually don't come out during the day and hawks usually try to haul their prey off. I'm thinking based on your description it's a mink. Nasty little things....pretty much kill just for fun. A game camera could help you determine the issue but simply a live trap or two would be most helpful. Mink and foxes are very smart so whatever bait you use be sure that they can't run off with it. I had a fox last year I was trying to catch. He wanted the bait so badly but not enough to get in the trap. He dragged the entire trap over trying to get that fried chicken :gig .

Another thing you could do is get a roo (if allowed) to protect them. I agree the dogs more than likely kept your predators away. You could also make staying in the fence more appealing with treats. One of my girls only ventures outside the fence to eat the neighbors bird seed.

A mink is a possibility, and is on the list of my enemies. There is a creek that runs through the woods near our property. The thing is, it is always just a single chicken. Thank goodness. My research suggests that minks are.more series killers.
We are getting a camera today. I know hawks usually carry their prey off, but if hungry enough they may eat on site.

I hoping with spring notnfar off the predator will move on to their usual habits and hunting .

A mink is a possibility, and is on the list of my enemies. There is a creek that runs through the woods near our property. The thing is, it is always just a single chicken. Thank goodness. My research suggests that minks are.more series killers.
We are getting a camera today. I know hawks usually carry their prey off, but if hungry enough they may eat on site.

I hoping with spring notnfar off the predator will move on to their usual habits and hunting .
Spring usually means less predators :thumbsup more prey to go around. Winter is tough for predators because their food doesn't venture out. As far as hawks go you can try hanging CDs or get a fake owl. The owls do work as a deterrent...but you need to move them every few days because hawks are too smart and catch on quickly. Crows keep hawks away as well. I've found as long as I have a crows nest nearby (we live in the woods too) the hawks get chased off

I have an owl, it does seem to help somewhat. Just recently bought shiny, noisy reflective streamer tape. Haven't hung it around the yard yet.
It is a never ending battle with these predators. Definitely makes one much more appreciative of our farmers.
I purchase all local- from chicken feed to milk for the breakfast table. Takes a bit more time on Saturdays to do errands, but with it!

I have an owl, it does seem to help somewhat. Just recently bought shiny, noisy reflective streamer tape. Haven't hung it around the yard yet.
It is a never ending battle with these predators. Definitely makes one much more appreciative of our farmers.
I purchase all local- from chicken feed to milk for the breakfast table. Takes a bit more time on Saturdays to do errands, but with it!
We've been fortunate to avoid a lot of predators here but we've mostly had problems with coons. Two years ago we had a momma coon have babies on our property: two girls and a boy. Unfortunately the babies were hanging around our girls in the middle of the day. Hubby went to chase them off (not a fan of killing young'uns) but ended up having to destroy the male. When he ran at them yelling the girls ran off but their brother ran right at my husband and he had to kick the poor thing so it wouldn't bite him. It then ran into a nearby log and wouldn't leave. I understand it's just predators trying to get by and eat and I respect that but I need to eat too.

We've been fortunate to avoid a lot of predators here but we've mostly had problems with coons. Two years ago we had a momma coon have babies on our property: two girls and a boy. Unfortunately the babies were hanging around our girls in the middle of the day. Hubby went to chase them off (not a fan of killing young'uns) but ended up having to destroy the male. When he ran at them yelling the girls ran off but their brother ran right at my husband and he had to kick the poor thing so it wouldn't bite him. It then ran into a nearby log and wouldn't leave. I understand it's just predators trying to get by and eat and I respect that but I need to eat too.
Yea, coons are an issue, too! We definitely have at least one hanging around tormenting the dogs. I am not sure just how much damage a coon will do to a chicken.
I agree, don't really want to have to resort to preying on the predators, but as you said, I need to eat too...

Yea, coons are an issue, too! We definitely have at least one hanging around tormenting the dogs. I am not sure just how much damage a coon will do to a chicken.
I agree, don't really want to have to resort to preying on the predators, but as you said, I need to eat too...
Yes and unfortunately catch and release doesn't work great unless you take them far far away. Once food has been established at a location they will keep coming. Coons have sharp teeth and claws that would have no problem ripping through a hen. We had one that was reaching into the run and spinning the food container so it would empty out it's contents and then it'd pig out. Figured that out with the game camera and then put plywood it it's way. Then it decided to climb on top of the run and try to get into the ventilation window. That's when I buried it.

Coons are messy eaters. A wing here a foot there, a few other bits and bobs laying around. In 3 years I have gotten 87 raccoons.
Opossums usually eat the abdomen first. I have gotten over 50
Raptors usually take the head and neck first. Lost most to them but I haven't removed any raptors. Usually they leave me usable meat, unless a opossum or raccoon gets to the carcass an owl leaves, or it's too warm out

Coons are messy eaters. A wing here a foot there, a few other bits and bobs laying around. In 3 years I have gotten 87 raccoons.
Opossums usually eat the abdomen first. I have gotten over 50
Raptors usually take the head and neck first. Lost most to them but I haven't removed any raptors. Usually they leave me usable meat, unless a opossum or raccoon gets to the carcass an owl leaves, or it's too warm out
Neighbor had a mink get in his coop. Woke up to a blood bath. Ate the heads off all the birds. That's why he buys eggs from me now :oops:

Edit: also 87?! I've had to dispatch maybe 8 in my 5 years of keeping

Back
Top Bottom