Indication of rooster attack?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DanyyChicken, Oct 15, 2011.

1. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Hi there,
    I have my first flock of 6 hens and one bantam salmon favorelle x rooster. I have had all of them from 5 weeks old. They are currently mature mating and laying eggs. They are approx 7 months old. I have never seen any signs of aggression toward me from the rooster usually he just watches me or runs away. They are kept in a coop and 9x10 run. I obviously go into the run to maintain them from a few to several times a day. I was just curious if there are any good indications to be watchful of that warn of a rooster attack? Is there a particular noise, posture or other indicator they give off before striking. Does a rooster attack come out of the blue with no warning? I realize they will attack if they feel the hens are threatened. Right now I feel he is a cutie but I never totally let my guard down as I know that all animals can do unpredictable things.
    Is there anything to watch for as an indicator?[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Posturing at an angle to you, pecking at the ground with hackles slightly flared, wing dancing you may all be preludes to aggressive behavior and should be addressed immediately so that they do not escalate. Sounds as if your rooster is behaving so far.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    My nasty, sneaky rooster would lower his head and look at me out the tops of his eyes, ruffle up his neck feathers and then just dive in...spurs first. He had very few tells that an attack was imminent. Whenever he lowered his head while looking at me and appeared to gather his body under him, I knew I was in for a fight. I had already started having aggression problems with my roo by 7 months. Mine killed one of his pullets at about 7 weeks of age.

Sounds like your roo may be a good one. Treasure him. A good roo can be hard to come by.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by