Indio Gigante journey

Oct 30, 2023
California
A few months ago I started my journey to put my foot in the door in the helping of rare or endangered breeds. I started by acquiring several Indio Gigante chicks and I plan to move on to several breeds of gamefowl in the near future to assist in breeding the best I can.

Here in California I haven’t been able to find much in terms of breed preservation so I figured I’d lend my hand at doing so. I’ve owned chickens for well over 15 years now and I’m ready to lend a hand to preserving some truly incredible animals.

Attached is an image of one of my lovely Indio Gigante chicks

I will continue to update this thread as time passes

Attachments

• IMG_1497.jpeg
    IMG_1497.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 63
Seemingly over night the little baby combs on my chicks have begun to redden and possibly reveal who’s who in my young flock! It’s all too exciting to see my future Roos and hens! I will keep you updated with pictures when it’s more set in stone! In the meantime enjoy these!

Also side thing! Anyone else’s chicks like to make themselves comfy on your shoes?

Attachments

• IMG_1502.jpeg
    IMG_1502.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1503.jpeg
    IMG_1503.jpeg
    427.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1505.jpeg
    IMG_1505.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 10
Pardon the less than ideal photo quality! But this is my suspected cockerel. It’s too early to tell 100% but the first to gain redness in the comb, heaviest in weight, and also the tallest of the flock all points (in my opinion) to rooster.

He’s also got a bizarre beak compared to the rest, seemingly more curved! For this name we’ve dubbed them hawk. If anyone knows why the beak may be this way I’d love to hear it!

Attachments

• IMG_1519.jpeg
    IMG_1519.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1520.jpeg
    IMG_1520.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 6
Sadly while cooking and allowing the chicks to enjoy the heat of the spring here, I heard my dog snarling in the backyard only to find him fighting with a coyote that had broken into our yard. He made out with one of our chicks and injured another one however the injured chick has since recovered and is doing well after i've treated it.

I've since reinforced the fence it managed to scale and re-equipped my dogs spike collar, I ask you keep the chicks in your minds.

Back
Top Bottom